Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-03-2021, 03:53 PM   #631
Donny Brook

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Finely chop lettuce, tomatoes and green onions.
Place torilla breads in foil in oven on low.
In a large skillet, cook 1lb of ground beef while adding seasonings.
What? Oh, I thought it said post your VICTUALS here.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #632
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steen View Post
Working on a cyber-sorcerer kind of character, and I'm a little in doubt of how to model a ritual that halts the energy flow in the circuit of any mechanical device. This is it so far:

Short Circuit
Spell effects: Lesser Destroy Energy
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

This ritual forces the target mechanical device within 10 yards to shut down, if it depends on an energy circuit to operate.

Typical Casting: Lesser Destroy Energy (5) + Range, 10 yards (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 13 Energy (13x1)

This seems to me like a simple and straightforward ritual, but I can't figure out whether it would apply to robots as well. Would it need to be a separate ritual with the Affliction, Unconsciousness (40) modifier? It seems weird to have to separate the ritual into two, despite essentially doing the same thing. But from a balance perspective, I could see why, since knocking a robot unconscious for 10 minutes with a simple 13 energy ritual seems rather broken.

Maybe it would be a Lesser ritual against non-sentient devices (radios, surveillance cameras, etc) but a Greater ritual against IQ 6+ targets? But that would still separate the ritual into two distinct rituals.
You would need to add the Unconsciousness modifier via affliction and would apply to anything with electrical circuits.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 07:59 AM   #633
Cursed_Lich

Hello there! I'm new to the RPM system so I have a few doubts.

• Does the ritual Duplicate Object (Thaumatology: RPM p.42) suffers the penalty described on p.16 in the Crafting Penalties Table? Isn't the Lesser Sense Matter included to "scan" the object?

• I understood reading here that I can enhance a gun damage by using bestow a bonus and apply a +1/die for each 2 bonus, but how do I enhance the bullet's damage? Make the ammunition a charm, sure. But the damage doesn't start from zero. If I understood correctly, if I add damage it will be linked damage that need to penetrate the DR on their own. How do I add damage directly to the bullet damage? For example, a 12d bullet out of a revolver.

• Btw, how do I actually summon stuff? If I want to summon/create a Shīsā or an Elemental. What's the point per energy ratio of those summons? Instant summon/creation of a creature, not compelling one to come at their pace.

And I'll leave my own ritual for review here:

Fox-Fire
Spell Effects: Greater Create Energy.
Inherent Modifiers: Damage, External Burning (Homing; Accurate (Acc +2); Rapid Fire (RoF 15); Increased 1/2D Range).
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).
This spell creates numerous wisps of fire that once locked to the target, they all advance simultaneously automatically. This attack has Acc 5, Range 50/100, RoF 15, and Rcl 0.5. Roll against 18 (10[Base] +5[Acc] +3[RoF]) to hit.
This Casting: Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, External Burning 4d+2 (Homing, +50%; Accurate (Acc +2), +15%; Very Rapid Fire (RoF 15), +110%; Increased 1/2D Range, +10%) (37). 129 energy (43×3).

That part underlined is my doubt about it. In this case, with the Homing enhancement, does it shoot itself by normal homing rules or would be better to use the Golden Rule (p.24) and use the path skill to hit with it since it's not you who is throwing it?

Last edited by Cursed_Lich; 10-11-2022 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Adding one more question.
Cursed_Lich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology