Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2022, 08:29 AM   #11
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Would You Play These Races?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

You'd still pick a 'class' as normal in addation to your second race.
That just gives you more places to spend your CP rather than more CP. With mandatory expenditures on something that doesn't look very useful you actually can end up in a "more is less" situation.
Old 12-28-2022, 10:24 AM   #12
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
That just gives you more places to spend your CP rather than more CP. With mandatory expenditures on something that doesn't look very useful you actually can end up in a "more is less" situation.
I mean, that's... how templates work. If you're given [250] to work with, you could make a "Level 5" character (scc noted [50] per "DF level"*), a "Level 4.5" character with one of these templates, a "Level 4" character with one of these templates on top of another [25] racial template (or just a [50] racial template, with no plane-touched nature at all), etc. Kind of like how That Other Game has (or at least had) level adjustments for certain playable races. But, yeah, if most of the points on the template are toward things you wouldn't want to build a character to make use of, that template certainly isn't a good option for you (a few points "wasted" on such is typically alright, as you can readily use those to add a bit of flavor to the character - when I built Shigran, those [9] spent on Attractive and Charisma were pretty much a waste, but would certainly influence the way I roleplayed the character, even if he's largely lacking skills to take advantage of those traits; the rest of the eldhud template, however, was what I was most interested in... that, and playing a not-a-tiefling-honest).

*Or, if using Delvers to Grow, one of these templates would work well as an Upgrade Module.
Old 12-28-2022, 12:15 PM   #13
Pursuivant

At 25 points, these templates might work better as Power Ups than racial templates.

That would open them up to most PCs at any point in the campaign rather than limiting them to character creation. The ability to somehow become "partially infused" with elemental energies would be highly appropriate for spellcasters and certain Holy Warriors.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 12-28-2022 at 07:51 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2022, 04:32 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
You'd still pick a 'class' as normal in addation to your second race.
I'm not going to pick a race that doesn't do anything actively interesting for me unless that describes every option available. (No, human-as-default is not an exception to that.) These fall under that.
Old 12-29-2022, 02:40 AM   #15
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I mean, that's... how templates work. If you're given [250] to work with, you could make a "Level 5" character (scc noted [50] per "DF level"*), a "Level 4.5" character with one of these templates, a "Level 4" character with one of these templates on top of another [25] racial template (or just a [50] racial template, with no plane-touched nature at all), etc. Kind of like how That Other Game has (or at least had) level adjustments for certain playable races. But, yeah, if most of the points on the template are toward things you wouldn't want to build a character to make use of, that template certainly isn't a good option for you (a few points "wasted" on such is typically alright, as you can readily use those to add a bit of flavor to the character - when I built Shigran, those [9] spent on Attractive and Charisma were pretty much a waste, but would certainly influence the way I roleplayed the character, even if he's largely lacking skills to take advantage of those traits; the rest of the eldhud template, however, was what I was most interested in... that, and playing a not-a-tiefling-honest).

*Or, if using Delvers to Grow, one of these templates would work well as an Upgrade Module.
So look into alternate abilities for these races, check, you guys have already given me some pointers.

As for starting point totals, I'm working on a setup that allows you to start at level 1 (50 points) but within a frame work that ensures that you should have the common needed skills (normally a 50 point package brought with Disad points, but a cheaper option costing 25 points would allow for buying templates like these) and a 50 point race and background combo, because there's nothing that says you can't try and have more complexity in a DF game.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 05:27 AM   #16
scc

So getting back to this after far too long I've added a list of possible powers after each template because someone wanted/suggested it. Note that a few don't actually have the Planear modifier, that's because they represent your connection to your patron Plane permanently altering your body. Also this route's only advantage is that you don't have to spend points on ER (Planaer), in all other respects the pesudo-magic path is better. Finally the various Innate Attack options can really vary, including surrounding you and your friends with Walls to protect them.

Plane-Touched:
Gnome:
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Earth and Stone, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; HP +1 [2]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Earth Elementals) [5].
Possible Powers: Binding (Engulfing, +60%; Environmental, -20%; Planear, -10%) [2.6/level]; Burrower [1]; Clinging (Specific, Stone -40%; Planear, -10%) [10] Lifting ST 1-3 [3/level]; Permeation (Earth; Extended, Stone, +20%; Planear, -10%) [44];

Salamander
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Fire and Heat, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Fire Elementals) [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Heat, Planear, -10%) [2].
Possible Powers: Burning Attack 1d (Planear, -10%) [Varies]

Sylphs
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Air and Weather, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Air Elementals) [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Cold, Planear, -10%) [2].
Possible Powers: Catfall (Planear, -10%) [9]; Crushing Attack 1d (Planear, -10%) [Varies] or Cutting Attack 1d (Planear, -10%) [Varies]; Flight (Planear, -10%) [36]; Walk on Air (Planear, -10%) [18].

Undines
Advantages: Damage Resistance 6 (Limited, Dehydration and Water, -40%; Planear, -10%) [15]; Planaer Connection‡ [3]; Reputation +3 (Air Elementals) [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Cold, Planear, -10%) [2].
Possible Powers: Amphibious [10]; Doesn’t Breathe (Planear, -10%; Oxygen Absorption, -25%) [13] or Doesn’t Breathe (Gills, -50%; Planear, -10%) [8]; Innate Attack 1d (Planear, -10%) [Varies] Speak Underwater (Planear, -10%) [5]; Walk on Liquid (Limited, Water, -40%; Planear, -10%) [8];

‡ Planear Connection: This allows you to cast spells from the College with the same name as the Plane from which you connected, the Recover Energy spell, spells pertaining the planear travel to you're patron plane, and Enchantment College spells to make magic items. These spells take modifiers for the casting of Planear travel spells and not modifiers for magic, they also can't be affected directly by magic, a Fireball spell cast via this talent by a Salamander is not affected by a Counterspell spell, but is affected by a Reverse Missiles spell and it's damage is negated by a Resist Fire spell.

So I also want to know what the two base/core races I've almost finished writing up, just a couple of Talents I forgot to write down the details of.

A dagger (†) after a trait means forms part of the races (and sub-races) corresponding half-whatever Template.

Elf:
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive)† [4]; High Manual Dexterity 1† [5]; Night Vision 5 [5].
Perks: Elven Gear† [1].

Select One of these racial lenses:
Plains Elf:
Attribute Modifiers: IQ+1 [20].
Advantages:: Close to the Source 1 [5]; Magery 0† [5].
Disadvantages: Sense of Duty (Magic) [-15].

Wood Elf:
Attribute Modifiers: DX+1 [20].
Advantages:: Forest Guardian 1† [5]; Telescopic Vision 1 [5].
Disadvantages: Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15].

Cave Elf:
Advantages: Danger Sense [15]; Silence 1† [5].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5].

Sea Elf:
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Breath Holding 2† [4]. Nicitating Membrane 1† [1].

Ork:
Attribute Modifiers: ST+1 [10].
Advantages: Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3)† [10].
Disadvantages: Ham-Fisted [-5]

Stoneskin:
Advantages: Night Vision 5 [5]; Pickaxe Penchant† [5]; Tunnel Rat [5].

Ironskin:
Advantages: Acute Taste and Smell 2 [4]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]; Forgeborn† [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Heat) [2]
Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1].

Greenskin:
Advantages: Fit [5]; Green Thumb† [5]; Rapid Healing [5];
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 07:35 AM   #17
Fred Brackin

Quote:

Plane-Touched:

[b][

Elf:
Advantages: Appearance (Attractive)† [4]; High Manual Dexterity 1† [5]; Night Vision 5 [5].
Perks: Elven Gear† [1].

Plains Elf:
Attribute Modifiers: IQ+1 [20].
Advantages:: Close to the Source 1 [5]; Magery 0† [5].
Disadvantages: Sense of Duty (Magic) [-15].

Wood Elf:
Attribute Modifiers: DX+1 [20].
Advantages:: Forest Guardian 1† [5]; Telescopic Vision 1 [5].
Disadvantages: Sense of Duty (Nature) [-15].

Cave Elf:
Advantages: Danger Sense [15]; Silence 1† [5].
Disadvantages: Callous [-5].

Sea Elf:
Advantages: Amphibious [10]; Breath Holding 2† [4]. Nicitating Membrane 1† [1].

Ork:
Attribute Modifiers: ST+1 [10].
Advantages: Resistant to Metabolic Hazards (+3)† [10].
Disadvantages: Ham-Fisted [-5]

Stoneskin:
Advantages: Night Vision 5 [5]; Pickaxe Penchant† [5]; Tunnel Rat [5].

Ironskin:
Advantages: Acute Taste and Smell 2 [4]; Damage Resistance 1 (Tough Skin, -40%) [3]; Forgeborn† [5]; Temperature Tolerance 2 (Heat) [2]
Perks: Alcohol Tolerance [1].

Greenskin:
Advantages: Fit [5]; Green Thumb† [5]; Rapid Healing [5];
Okay, almost none of these Templates look cp efficient though the Plane-touched are worst about that. Almost all of them though seem to have at least 5 pts spent on something the player will never use.

Beyond points efficiency though, the Sea Elf simply does not have enough Breath Holding for an aquatic lifestyle. Even with slow swimming they have less than 3 minutes of capacity (HT 10 x4 x4).

If there was a "Human" Template that didn't saddle me with unwanted stuff that would look very appealing. Note that this is not a call to add equally rarely used stuff to a Human Template.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:37 AM   #18
JulianLW

Quote:
Close to the Source 1 [5]

Sense of Duty (Magic) [-15]

Tunnel Rat [5]

Forgeborn† [5]
I don't recognize any of these traits. Are they from a source? Homebrew? Care to describe them?
JulianLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 08:43 AM   #19
mburr0003

Quote:
So getting back to this after far too long I've added a list of possible powers after each template because someone wanted/suggested it.
They seem okayish to me... and while each might have "something they rarely if ever use", that's just the way it generally is with racial packages. However, the benefit of "extra disads to bring down the cost" is usually the draw for a racial package, and you basically have none of that (outside of some of the elves).

Granted the Plane-touched might be the only way to get some nice supernatural abilities, and if so, that increases their attractiveness.
mburr0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 12:40 PM   #20
RGTraynor

My reaction to the original post is "No." I'm in it for the RP, and playing an unusual race that doesn't seem to have much scope outside of DF doesn't have much appeal to me.

Now whether the packages are well-balanced or not, there's been a good deal of commentary on that front; nothing I could add to that.

"Call me old-fashioned, but after you're dead, I don't think you should be entitled to a Dodge any more." - my wife

It's not that I don't understand what you're saying. It's that I disagree with what you're saying.
RGTraynor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character design, elemental powers