Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-27-2022, 07:44 PM   #91
Inky

Default Re: [Space/Thaumatology] Stargate: Fantasy - Worldbuilding thread

#2, #3 and #8. Naga wizards!
Matches the original Stargate SG-1 version that the Goa'uld weren't actually divine or even particularly enlightened, just really clever, and that there actually were some divine/enlightened beings around but these weren't them. The Goa'uld actually seemed to have less chance of Ascending than humans did. (Though that might be true of Varyon's version, too, in which they're unearthly but a very different, borderline-Cthulhu kind of unearthly).
Old 09-27-2022, 08:32 PM   #92
Fred Brackin

1 and 4.

I particularly want to avoid immaterial beings possessing humans as a common phenomenon. Immaterial beings have too much freedom to come and go as they please. If they're the main opposition the'd be too close to unstoppable.
Old 09-27-2022, 10:07 PM   #93
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
#2, #3 and #8. Naga wizards!
Well if Nagas are an option then I can really get behind that.
TGLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 02:59 AM   #94
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I missed your vote Varyon. Sorry. That does change things. If everyone else is happy with 89, we can use that. It just bothers me mathematically when people say "we'll use the average number of the votes", because it strongly disadvantages the ends.
There wasn't going to be an answer that satisfied everyone, but it really seems like I should have split Time Period Question II into two separate votes, one that cut the twenty years into thirds (so, 'early-mid 1980s,' 'late 1980s-early 1990s,' and 'late 1990s') or quarters (five-year chunks), and a second vote for the actual year. If enough people want, I'll strike-through the current Time Period Question II after the Goa'Uld question is finished and do two separate Time Period questions (probably there will be one or two other Goa'Uld questions before that, unless we get a better consensus soon, and the new Time Period questions would be after that if people do ask for them).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 05:57 AM   #95
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I particularly want to avoid immaterial beings possessing humans as a common phenomenon. Immaterial beings have too much freedom to come and go as they please. If they're the main opposition the'd be too close to unstoppable.
My suggestion was meant to result in them largely functioning like they did in SG1, but with a clear Fantasy flavoring. That would prevent them from using most of the exploits available to immaterial beings (they are extremely restricted in terms of where they can exist without a Jaffa/host). It's looking like people want to go a different direction than the shows took, however, but that's fine too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
There wasn't going to be an answer that satisfied everyone, but it really seems like I should have split Time Period Question II into two separate votes, one that cut the twenty years into thirds (so, 'early-mid 1980s,' 'late 1980s-early 1990s,' and 'late 1990s') or quarters (five-year chunks), and a second vote for the actual year. If enough people want, I'll strike-through the current Time Period Question II after the Goa'Uld question is finished and do two separate Time Period questions (probably there will be one or two other Goa'Uld questions before that, unless we get a better consensus soon, and the new Time Period questions would be after that if people do ask for them).
Nixing the current one and replacing it as you lay out is probably a fairer option than just averaging things out, but that's ultimately up to you.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:39 AM   #96
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Something from the fuzzy space between 5 or 6. Limiting their freedom of movement would be nice though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
I mean, I don't think the year matter that strongly. I'm not strongly objecting to 1989, is anyone else?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 10:50 AM   #97
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
S
I mean, I don't think the year matter that strongly. I'm not strongly objecting to 1989, is anyone else?
Not "objecting" so much as pointing out consequences.

If the timeline remains like ours and the focus remains on US military personnel you've got some special ops people going through gates while most of the rest are very busy in the Middle East..

A few years later avoids this.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:59 AM   #98
TGLS

Quote:
Not "objecting" so much as pointing out consequences.

If the timeline remains like ours and the focus remains on US military personnel you've got some special ops people going through gates while most of the rest are very busy in the Middle East..

A few years later avoids this.
And keeping troops to a minimum is always a bad thing in an RPG campaign focusing on about a half dozen people.
Old 09-28-2022, 01:07 PM   #99
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
And keeping troops to a minimum is always a bad thing in an RPG campaign focusing on about a half dozen people.
<shrug>Some npc Pentagon official may keep threatening the project's npc head with shutting down the project and transferring everyone to support Desert Storm but the PCs will know that's not going to happen.
Old 09-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #100
TGLS

Quote:
<shrug>Some npc Pentagon official may keep threatening the project's npc head with shutting down the project and transferring everyone to support Desert Storm but the PCs will know that's not going to happen.
Well:
1) Desert Shield/Storm is like 1-2 years away.
2) The 90s is filled with conflicts that could be plausibly have priority over the Stargate program. Somalia, Yugoslavia, Iraqi No-Fly Zone, Haiti.
3) Even if we did pick a period where there was no conflict with anyone, then you get, "Why are we spending all this money on the military". The era of the Reagan arms buildup at least avoids that question very neatly.

Tags
aliens, fantasy, space, thaumatology, worldbuilding