Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #11
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Talent/Spell of the Week: Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Note that it requires a laboratory or a wizard's chest to cast a spell from a book.
JohnPaulB's point is dead-on. I have and others I play with have done this. Once your wiz has a few thousand to spend, get wizard's chest and put it in your back pack with book containing a dozen helpful but not urgent spells. I had not considered Ward spell for this, but JohnPaulB is right, it is a perfect candidate.

As time goes your book(s) gets bigger. :-)
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:08 PM   #12
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
JohnPaulB's point is dead-on. I have and others I play with have done this. Once your wiz has a few thousand to spend, get wizard's chest and put it in your back pack with book containing a dozen helpful but not urgent spells. I had not considered Ward spell for this, but JohnPaulB is right, it is a perfect candidate.

As time goes your book(s) gets bigger. :-)
Yes, Ward is a good option to have in your spellbook. I was just pointing out that a beginning wizard couldn't go this route. You have to have a chest which, at 10lbs and $2500, isn't a trivial additional item.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 03:39 PM   #13
Shostak

It's off-topic, but, given that acquired spells do not require material components, one wonders what the chestful of occult paraphernalia is for.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2022, 05:12 PM   #14
phiwum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITL 141
Consider: for each spell, a book must give a complex incantation (often
with several variant forms); a list of magical ingredients and acceptable alternatives; general instructions; and something about the history and theory of the spell!
Evidently, something about the memorization process allows one to skip the ingredients. When you read a spell from a book, you need those ingredients.

Don't ask me why.

In game terms, it's pretty clear. Steve wanted casting spells from a book to be inconvenient. Making the wizard haul around an expensive 10lb. chest does that.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 02:21 AM   #15
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Evidently, something about the memorization process allows one to skip the ingredients. When you read a spell from a book, you need those ingredients.

Don't ask me why.
One rationalization for why "learned" spells don't need ingredients and more than one turn (usually) to cast might be this.

When learning a spell, a wizard could be doing far more than just memorizing the words and hand gestures. They could, by regular repetitions of the spell the slow way, be altering their own brains, permanently imprinting a circuit of neurons with the psychic "code" that, when executed, telepathically alters the material universe for the desired effect. Something like adding a sub-routine to an existing program, but you can't just type it in once and hit "save" -- brains are mushy organic things, not hard drives. But repeated enactment of a spell causes something analogous to screen-burn on an old CRT monitor. If the same text is displayed at the same location long enough, the image sticks. Once a spell is burned into a tiny spot in the brain, the mind only has to jump to that spot to run the spell. Perhaps the whole point to the incantations and gestures is to guide the mind to the desired scar tissue in the brain for that particular spell rather than another, but when you're smart enough you can find and trigger the spot without the crutch of words or gestures.

Un-learning a spell might be difficult if it's imprinted in this way. Probably why you'd need the Wizard's Guild to get into your head to erase it. Better hope they don't do anything else while they're in there <evil grin>
Old 10-13-2022, 06:30 PM   #16
TippetsTX

My head-canon is similar to Steve's... it's about building meta-muscle memory. The wizard is literally enchanting their brain.
Old 10-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #17
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
My head-canon is similar to Steve's... it's about building meta-muscle memory. The wizard is literally enchanting their brain.
Or perhaps the mundane ingredients are thaumagenic?
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:53 PM   #18
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Or perhaps the mundane ingredients are thaumagenic?
I'm all for smarter ALCHEMY rules.
Old 10-14-2022, 12:21 AM   #19
pzmcgwire

Quote:
I assume the Ward extends about 10' high.
You would have to cast ward to cover sky above you and perhaps the ground below you if you really want to be warned of any intruders.

If ward extends 10' up only and not below ground, then a ward spell would cover a megahex across if cast vertically up or down.

"He is intelligent, but not experienced. His pattern indicates two dimensional thinking."
pzmcgwire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
knowledge spells, magic, protection & warning, surveillance