Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-06-2022, 04:52 AM   #561
malloyd

Default Re: [IW] Ordinary Worlds with valuables!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
Currently, research is being done to see if other magical fountains have similar or related traits.
And if one does, then the quest is on for the true fountain of youth, which is so well known it will obviously work great on Homeline.

Edit: While anything with enough flow to get labeled a spring or fountain presumably generates enough water to give thousands of people a day a sip, that's still less than 1% of the rate people die on Homeline, let alone get sick enough to want a miracle cure. So if you do find a magical healing or youth fountain that you can export water from, expect a bloody conflict over keeping it.

Last edited by malloyd; 12-06-2022 at 05:08 AM.
malloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 06:23 AM   #562
Astromancer

Walt Disney switched from feature length cartoons like Snow White and Pinocchio to complilations of shorts like Fun and Fancy Free and Make Mine Music because of financial restraints. In this parallel ( Britainnia-8 were Britain has gotten into jets early and has air Supremacy by 1942). A wealthy British man, believing that some Dickens films would be good for building positive American views of Britain, offers Disney a deal to animate A Christmas Carol , David Copperfield and Great Expectations .

Fantasia went on the back burner and Disney brought out the three Dickens films in five years. Disney turned out to be a wonderful interpreter of Dickens. Disney perfectly understanding Dickens styles of humor and uses of the grotesque. All three films were hits. And were Fantasia, highly regarded as it is now, turned the critics into Disney haters, the Dickens films brought praise and respect.

Disney's 1947 follow up was a complication of shorts, The Uncle Remus Stories . Although the same actor played the live action Uncle Remus, the frame story was abandoned and the resulting film was seen both as a jewel of folksy Americana and a progressive political move.

All four alternate Disney films have been mega hits on Homeline. Leading to a brutal rush to get the rights to any other alternate Disney films. The collapse of the Disney corporation on Homeline in the late twenty teens makes this more profitable. What makes it problematic for the ICOPS is that Hollywood sharks and their various counterparts around the world don't care about the secret, just money.

The PCs will have to watch and keep out of trouble sets of arrogant, self centered, bullies, fanatically seeking profits.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:05 AM   #563
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Yeah, I meant the Indianapolis. My bad.

So you steal the bomb parts before she makes delivery.....
Very bad idea. Indianapolis delivered the bomb parts 26 July and was sunk 30 July 1945. Removing the bomb parts would likely result in delays in the production of Little Boy and Fat Man which would likely result in a kind of cascade effect.

Krypton-1 is troubling even though it was not an echo of Homeline it was Centrum's first attempt to move a timeline to a closer Quantum....and it succeeded in Centrum year 2005 (local 1981). Centrum then tried to shift the reality back to Quantum 6 and use it as a base in its battle with Infinity. (Banestorming Infinity Unlimited (June 19, 1998); GURPS IST. 59)

I remember reading the reason Centrum nuke an alternate 1902 London was to end a cascade where a world moving out of its quanta would cause a world in that quanta to move and so on.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 03:51 PM   #564
dcarson

Int the age of sail gunnery thread it was pointed out that bronze Greek and Roman statues survived for close to two thousand years and then got melted down mainly by the Ottomans for cannon. So that give a large number of parallels where you can buy historically valuable statues fairly cheap.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #565
Astromancer

A tricky but highly profitable type of world, if you can make your score, would be a twenty minutes into the future world. Just imagine how much money I could make if I could go to a parallel world with advanced battery technology that could be easily and cheaply duplicated here. Grab the manufacturing specs, patten the improvements, and license a battery that cost one tenth of what our top of the line batteries do, had five times to storage in the same space, lasted much longer and didn't have a tendency to go up in flames.

The slightly advanced technology would be the juiciest, because companies could score big profits quickly off it.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-16-2022, 01:35 PM   #566
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
The slightly advanced technology would be the juiciest, because companies could score big profits quickly off it.
The [real] scores are the ideas that don't take advanced technology to make at all but which nobody on Homeline ever thought of, or at least which weren't successful there but could be if you had a cheap enough source to get them mass adopted.

Of course if I had any idea what those were I'd be looking for a patent lawyer, not posting them here, which makes it hard to use one in a game, but every once in a while something will come along that doesn't seem to require a new innovation that makes you wonder why it wasn't standard decades ago. I kind of felt that way about k-cup coffee makers, and thinking back magnetic nametags and wood gasifier camp stoves gave me the same sort of feeling when I first saw them. Though I guess the nametags might actually have been a result of fairly recent innovation what with rare earth magnets being pretty new then.
Old 12-18-2022, 11:22 AM   #567
Astromancer

I suppose a perfect illustration of what Malloyd is talking about might be a simple boardgame like checkers or reversi. If you brought in a deceptively simple, quick to learn hard to master, fast playing, game like that, the rules of which were totally unique on Homeline, the licensing rights could make you rich.

On the SciTech side. The profits from a piece of knowledge like a viable and provable theory of how to make new superconductors and ones that worked at higher temperatures, could be significant too.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-18-2022, 01:19 PM   #568
Prince Charon

In the late 1970s on a certain Earth, Christopher Tolkien and Christopher Lee sat down together and worked out a plan for a one-season TV series adapting J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit to live action, with Lee as Gandalf. This proved quite popular, and in the mid-1980s, a three-season series came out adapting The Lord of the Rings, with Lee reprising his roll as Gandalf, Warwick Davis as Frodo, and Jon Pertwee as Saruman, among others.

Sir Christopher Lee, on this Earth (present date 2004), is hailed as the king of fantasy television, with a number of other productions under his name, whether as star, director, or both. Currently, he has a new series in the planning stages, adapting the A Song of Ice and Fire setting for television.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2022, 04:20 PM   #569
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
In the late 1970s on a certain Earth, Christopher Tolkien and Christopher Lee sat down together and worked out a plan for a one-season TV series adapting J. R. R. Tolkien's The Hobbit to live action, with Lee as Gandalf. This proved quite popular, and in the mid-1980s, a three-season series came out adapting The Lord of the Rings, with Lee reprising his roll as Gandalf, Warwick Davis as Frodo, and Jon Pertwee as Saruman, among others.

Sir Christopher Lee, on this Earth (present date 2004), is hailed as the king of fantasy television, with a number of other productions under his name, whether as star, director, or both. Currently, he has a new series in the planning stages, adapting the A Song of Ice and Fire setting for television.
Lee would be good in that role. When he did chose to act as a producer he got quality results. He wasn't a business man though and a couple of his really good projects got smashed by timing rather than poor quality.

Ancora Imparo
Old 12-18-2022, 09:38 PM   #570
David Johnston2

Pestis-3 is a world where Europe and the Middle East were devastated by an improbably deadly outbreak of plague in the 18th century leading to collapses of the Ottoman Empire and the kingdoms of Europe. But the trading interest of Homeworld is in the Ethiopian Empire which survived intact and expanded, and is one of Homeworld's best sources for blackwood, one of the rarest and most valuable kinds of wood on Earth.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds