Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 03-29-2022, 07:35 AM   #61
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: (IC) Lost in Dreams (Julian)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
I guess these coins are worth more? Maybe I've been getting short changed. Or I'm spending money like crazy. I worry a little about overspending.
The coins they use are quite a bit smaller than the ones you receive as pay.

Quote:
I see. I guess the platform room below is passed the dotted line?
correct.

Quote:
The divot just appears? Ok...

Or I could accept this is as inexplicable as my dreams.
Oh magic.

Quote:
I'll try to ask them what's over there, even if it comes out really broken like:
"What there?"
Its a combination of where they sleep, and where their "tall people"/ baby caretakers are. at least from the gestures. Its the same as the place where Brog hands off the money. looking around, there is a boiling pot behind the woman, a chair nearby it, and a small hole in the wall with light on the other side.

Quote:
I know this game. Hopefully this one doesn't squeeze as much. I'll try to motion my hands to ask her to slow down, and say, "No Riask, No Riask."
She is not a squeezer, but waves and smiles as the three boys leave. Julian is unsure what she thinks of him.

The boys stop by another woman, and Ump gives her his money. She also has a piercing look and a few questions, and she is content with a wave and a monosyllabic greeting.

The boys head for a cleared out area in the vegetation, where some of the other boys are waiting. Light is provided by Brog's stone, plus Rails brings another one, and a few other boys are here too. They chat with each other, play the coin game, and one of them brought a small rag ball that is getting thrown around.

Quote:
Her I guess? I think I made an assumption there.

Uh, where? "Feather" and "wing" turned up nothing. The birds from the first dream, maybe?
I have not described every ethnicity/weird anatomy he's seen, just on notable people. But yes, the small winged people are from the first dream and from the marketplace. I tried to cover it all just now.

Quote:
I guess it's impossible to differentiate short hairy Humans from Duwende, if there is a difference.

The facial structure is slightly different, and the overlap in build is fairly small... but yes.

Quote:
And kicking people around. That might be more of a clue than I thought.

I suppose I can at least infer that Yanak also work in the mine. Muggragle appear to be working as shopkeepers and middle managers. Duwende do manual labor. And Humans are all over the place doing a bit of everything?

It's a mystery. Perhaps for later.
Good luck. I'll try to be careful with clues. Some you've got right, some wrong. more data will help.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 11:18 AM   #62
TGLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
The coins they use are quite a bit smaller than the ones you receive as pay.
So there are smaller denominations of money. I worry some more about being ripped off by the food vendors.

Quote:
Its a combination of where they sleep, and where their "tall people"/ baby caretakers are. at least from the gestures. Its the same as the place where Brog hands off the money. looking around, there is a boiling pot behind the woman, a chair nearby it, and a small hole in the wall with light on the other side.

She is not a squeezer, but waves and smiles as the three boys leave. Julian is unsure what she thinks of him.

The boys stop by another woman, and Ump gives her his money. She also has a piercing look and a few questions, and she is content with a wave and a monosyllabic greeting.
Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps these are their parents and they're just put to work young. How awful.

They're all probably judging me. "The weird kid who has no clothes and no language. Maybe dropped as a baby."

I try to shake off my negativity.

Quote:
The boys head for a cleared out area in the vegetation, where some of the other boys are waiting. Light is provided by Brog's stone, plus Rails brings another one, and a few other boys are here too. They chat with each other, play the coin game, and one of them brought a small rag ball that is getting thrown around.
Is the ball tucked together, or stapled, or what?

I'll try to pick up more words while tossing the ball or coins, question words (who, when, where, how, why), names of things (clouds, water, food, clothes, home, coins, light), other verbs (do, can, work, get, have, make), and perhaps some pronouns (here, he, she, they, it). Then I'll ask a few questions depending on how my vocabulary:
"I have no home, what do I do?"
"Where can I get water/food/clothes?"
"How do you get small coins?"
"How does Vasic make light?"
"Why do clouds make light?"
"Where is here?"
"When is here?"
"How do you get when it is?" (or perhaps "How do you tell the time?" if I can manage it.)

Quote:
I have not described every ethnicity/weird anatomy he's seen, just on notable people. But yes, the small winged people are from the first dream and from the marketplace. I tried to cover it all just now.
Am I wrong in thinking that the food and clothes vendors and other specific and undescribed people are regular humans?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #63
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
So there are smaller denominations of money. I worry some more about being ripped off by the food vendors.

Maybe I'm wrong. Perhaps these are their parents and they're just put to work young. How awful.

They're all probably judging me. "The weird kid who has no clothes and no language. Maybe dropped as a baby."

I try to shake off my negativity.

Quote:
Is the ball tucked together, or stapled, or what?
Its tucked/tied together. No metal.

Quote:
I'll try to pick up more words while tossing the ball or coins, question words (who, when, where, how, why), names of things (clouds, water, food, clothes, home, coins, light), other verbs (do, can, work, get, have, make), and perhaps some pronouns (here, he, she, they, it). Then I'll ask a few questions depending on how my vocabulary:
Julian makes some fair progress. Rolling linguistics (sometimes with modifiers) for each question...

Quote:
"I have no home, what do I do?"
11 vs 12: They have no idea. Maybe sleep in here somewhere?
Quote:
"Where can I get water/food/clothes?"
12 vs 12+ 2: The market places for clothes, the market place for food, though they're not sure how to cook it, and for water they show him the local "spring", a waterfall flowing through the caverns here.
Quote:
"How do you get small coins?"
10 vs 12: By spending large coins. Its a 16 to 1 ratio.
Quote:
"How does Vasic make light?"
11 vs 12 -2: Huh? what are you trying to say? someone sketches out the pattern again on the ground.
Quote:
"Why do clouds make light?"
6 vs 12 -2: because there is a sun underneath the clouds. They seem aware that this is unusual and that the sun is supposed to be in the sky, especially Yip and one kid with dark skin and hair named Tig.
Quote:
"Where is here?"
12 vs 12: This place is called "Bumundo".
Quote:
"When is here?"
12 vs 12-2: huh? what do you mean?
Quote:
"How do you get when it is?" (or perhaps "How do you tell the time?" if I can manage it.)
13 vs 12: They're not sure what Julian is trying to ask.

Quote:
Am I wrong in thinking that the food and clothes vendors and other specific and undescribed people are regular humans?
Most of them, yes.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 03-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #64
TGLS

Quote:
11 vs 12: They have no idea. Maybe sleep in here somewhere?
I shrug. At least there's no foot traffic.
Quote:
12 vs 12+ 2: The market places for clothes, the market place for food, though they're not sure how to cook it, and for water they show him the local "spring", a waterfall flowing through the caverns here.
I ask if one of their "tall responsible" ones would feed me for a large coin. It'd save me a long walk in the dark at least.
Quote:
10 vs 12: By spending large coins. Its a 16 to 1 ratio.
Hm. "How often? Do vendors usually sell at even prices?"
Quote:
11 vs 12 -2: Huh? what are you trying to say? someone sketches out the pattern again on the ground.
I put my hands on my head briefly. "But, how? Where is the... [english]energy[/english]? Light for nothing?"
Quote:
6 vs 12 -2: because there is a sun underneath the clouds. They seem aware that this is unusual and that the sun is supposed to be in the sky, especially Yip and one kid with dark skin and hair named Tig.
"Oh. Ok."

Then I pause to think a little. The obvious answer is that can't be true. The sun would just swallow up everything that came too close to it. And then there'd be no cliff side to have the conversation on.

Maybe the clouds and the cliffs are orbiting the sun, but close enough to the sun that it still pulls objects downward... No, that would mean I'd be weightless or this wouldn't last long. Maybe the clouds pull everything down.

Maybe the sun is really small. If it were much closer, then you wouldn't need something as massive to provide the right amount of heat and light. But a "sun" that small would need maintenance, and building is completely beyond modern science...

I'm not on Earth any more, am I?

I absentmindedly ask, "How far is the sun? How big?"

Shortly after, I realize they probably don't know.
Quote:
12 vs 12: This place is called "Bumundo".
Yep. No Bumundo on Earth. Or at least no Bumundo full of white people. And bird people, little people and grey people.

Quote:
13 vs 12: They're not sure what Julian is trying to ask.
I draw out a clock and say, "Only near upper fountain?", I point up when saying upper and try to make splashy motions with my hands when saying fountain.

Quote:
12 vs 12-2: huh? what do you mean?
I use the picture of the clock I drew. I circle around it twice and make a tally. I do that a couple of times. Then I say: "How many?"

Last edited by TGLS; 03-30-2022 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:44 AM   #65
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:

I ask if one of their "tall responsible" ones would feed me for a large coin.
Do you have some sort of relevant skill for making this request?

Quote:
Hm. "How often? Do vendors usually sell at even prices?"
Usually... haggling is possible, but usually its even amounts.

Quote:
I'm not on Earth any more, am I?

I absentmindedly ask, "How far is the sun? How big?"

Shortly after, I realize they probably don't know.
Heh.

Quote:
I draw out a clock and say, "Only near upper fountain?", I point up when saying upper and try to make splashy motions with my hands when saying fountain.

I use the picture of the clock I drew. I circle around it twice and make a tally. I do that a couple of times. Then I say: "How many?"
They eventually get the idea that he's talking about clocks. They give him the number six. And then point to one of the glowing stones.

Old 03-31-2022, 10:27 AM   #66
TGLS

Quote:
Do you have some sort of relevant skill for making this request?
Hm, almost forgot. Diplomacy-12? Merchant-12? Maybe even Streetwise-12? If you're asking me to pick I'd go with Diplomacy.
Quote:
Usually... haggling is possible, but usually its even amounts.
I suppose Julian knows the names of the coins now? If not, he'll call the big ones Escudo and small ones Real. How about numbers?

Quote:
They eventually get the idea that he's talking about clocks. They give him the number six. And then point to one of the glowing stones.
Are the stones in any particular shape? Or have symbols under them?

I guess I'll just have to get better at the language before I ask about the date. I'd also like to ask what please and thank you are.

Last edited by TGLS; 03-31-2022 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2022, 07:59 AM   #67
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Hm, almost forgot. Diplomacy-12? Merchant-12? Maybe even Streetwise-12? If you're asking me to pick I'd go with Diplomacy.
Rolling... rolled an 11. With the penalty for language, that's a failure for now.

Quote:
I suppose Julian knows the names of the coins now? If not, he'll call the big ones Escudo and small ones Real. How about numbers?
Asking about the names of coins and numbers is fine. If we want to call the coins Escudo and Real that works. If we really need the fluff for numbers, we can use tagalog numbers

Quote:
Are the stones in any particular shape? Or have symbols under them?
You've looked at the light giving stones before: they have no symbols under them. They are shaped as thin disks that get thicker towards the middle, but any two of them will have slight differences in shape

Quote:
I guess I'll just have to get better at the language before I ask about the date. I'd also like to ask what please and thank you are.
Thank you is salamat. You can't figure out what please is. Its a weird word or something.

Old 04-01-2022, 08:45 AM   #68
TGLS

Quote:
Asking about the names of coins and numbers is fine. If we want to call the coins Escudo and Real that works. If we really need the fluff for numbers, we can use tagalog numbers
I'll ask about the names of the coins.

With regard to the numbers, I was expecting an answer like "He knows the numbers from 1-20".
Quote:
You've looked at the light giving stones before: they have no symbols under them. They are shaped as thin disks that get thicker towards the middle, but any two of them will have slight differences in shape
Hm. Is the one they indicated brighter than the others? Or maybe it's like: "Lights are changed at 8 AM, get darker as the day goes on".

Quote:
Thank you is salamat. You can't figure out what please is. Its a weird word or something.
Hm. Maybe a construct like French. I'll thank them and head back towards the market. Hopefully I can make it back to the market in time to get something to eat.
Old 04-04-2022, 08:07 AM   #69
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
I'll ask about the names of the coins.
lets use escudo and real.

Quote:
With regard to the numbers, I was expecting an answer like "He knows the numbers from 1-20".
ok, numbers from zero to twenty.

Quote:
Hm. Is the one they indicated brighter than the others? Or maybe it's like: "Lights are changed at 8 AM, get darker as the day goes on".
They are all the same brightness. You struggle to figure out why they associate the stones with the measurement of time.

Quote:
Hm. Maybe a construct like French. I'll thank them and head back towards the market. Hopefully I can make it back to the market in time to get something to eat.
Brog helpfully provides you light until you get to the lighted tunnel.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:45 AM   #70
TGLS

Quote:
lets use escudo and real.
I briefly consider how odd it is that they're using currency terms that resemble the currencies of the Spanish Main.

Quote:
They are all the same brightness. You struggle to figure out why they associate the stones with the measurement of time.
Maybe they can see in a slightly different frequency range. I briefly wonder if I could make/find a dark flashlight and take people by surprise.

Quote:
Brog helpfully provides you light until you get to the lighted tunnel.
I thank him at the end of the journey. I look over the edge of the platform and wonder how far down the clouds are. After that I'll reenter the main tunnel and try to see how much further the main tunnel goes. Maybe there a platform that's lower, perhaps below the clouds.

Then I'll head back up to the lower market (or possibly further) to get something to eat. I'll try to negotiate a little (if only for a one real discount), depending on traffic, I might say something like: "It's the end of the day, who else are you going to sell to?"

If I happen to head all the way up to the grand market, I might head on to the spring for a sip of water and ask what the "vanishing circle" is. After that I might stop in the dry, well lit area, to make a diary entry, then back down towards the vegetated tunnel. It might be hard walking in the dark but better than getting kicked around.

Tags
lost in dreams