Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-05-2022, 03:37 PM   #161
warhorse11h

Default Re: Show me the magic!

I was working from the descriptions of beasts, including snakes, that were in original ITL and Legacy. I was seeking a snake of approximately equal capability to a wolf. The giant snake was similar in damage although slower to act and incapable of moving as quickly.
warhorse11h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:39 PM   #162
TippetsTX

Trying a new idea...

IQ 15 - BANE (T)
This spell is a special type of curse that allows the wizard to designate a specific individual, race or creature w/ vulnerability to another spell or enchantment. If successful, it provides +3 DX on subsequent casting or 'to hit' rolls against the chosen target. It can also be used to customize potions or other alchemical creations. Normally, this is a temporary effect and the duration will depend on the amount of ST spent. 3 ST will last THREE turns and 6 ST for a full minute (12 turns).

When cast in conjunction with GREATER MAGIC ITEM CREATION the 'bane' is made permanent. This version of the spell adds a week to creation time and requires either blood or 10 ST drained or stolen from the target. The permanent version counts as one of the object's 5 allowed spell enchantments, but it does not provide any bonuses itself. Enchantments and weapon bonuses added after this spell only cost HALF their normal ST and $, but they will only apply against the target(s) designated by the BANE spell.
Old 02-08-2023, 11:40 AM   #163
Shostak

IQ 10 Alter Image (C) This creates an Image likeness of a subject in that subject's hex and then one of them immediately steps to an available adjacent hex (all of which must be within Creation range). At the beginning of each turn, the Alter Image steps back into the subject's hex and then either it or the subject steps into any adjacent free hex. This does not count against a figure's movement for the turn, but cannot be used to disengage. If, at the end of Movement, the Alter Image not adjacent to the subject, it disappears. Costs 2 ST.

IQ 12 Double Alter Image (C) Like Alter Image, but creates two likenesses, each of which must occupy a free hex. If, at the end of Movement, an Alter Image is not adjacent to the subject or the other Alter Image, it disappears. Costs 3.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 11:55 AM   #164
hcobb

I would make alter image with the following changes:

IQ 11 - Mirror Image (C) Functions exactly like an Image duplicate of any one figure into that figure's hex (either the original or the Mirror Image will immediately step to an adjacent empty hex or the spell fails) within creation spell range of the caster with the following exceptions: The Mirror Image is controlled by the subject it is mirroring, which might not be the caster; the Mirror Image constantly reflects the current wounds, equipment, and other status of the subject; the Mirror Image moves at the same time as the subject; and the Mirror Image may freely move through the hex of the subject or other of their Image or Illusion duplicates so long as each figure ends their moves in different hexes. (Make a note if the Mirror Image and subject swap counters during these crossings.) Costs 2 fatigue to cast, 1 per minute to maintain.

Last edited by hcobb; 02-08-2023 at 11:58 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 01:40 PM   #165
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
I would make alter image with the following changes:

The Mirror Image is controlled by the subject it is mirroring, which might not be the caster; the Mirror Image constantly reflects the current wounds, equipment, and other status of the subject; the Mirror Image moves at the same time as the subject
This is a good addition.
Old 02-09-2023, 05:08 PM   #166
David Bofinger

IQ 15 Invisibility With Alter Image The original target becomes invisible, moves one hex and is replaced by an image of themselves.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:32 PM   #167
hcobb

IQ 13 - Spellfast (S) The caster thinks of a condition (i.e. writes this down, any condition that a Limiting enchantment could act on), expends one or more points of fatigue, then does everything short of rolling for success on a different spell on their next turn from the same hex (including spending the full fatigue cost of the other spell and writing down their current adjDX for the casting.) If the Spellfast expires before the condition is met then nothing else happens. If the condition is met before this point then roll for spell success at the recorded adjDX at that point and the spellfasted spell either takes effect or not. Spellfast itself costs one fatigue for a one minute duration plus another point of fatigue for each doubling of the time interval. (So 11 fatigue is 17 hours and 20 fatigue gives almost a year's duration.)

If the fasted spell is a creation spell then the creation appears within range of where the caster first fasted it, but if a thrown spell (count range to the target at the time of fasting) then it takes effect on the spell subject wherever they are when the condition takes effect. The wizard is then made aware that their spell has become active and may expend fatigue to continue it at that moment. (They don't see the area, unless a figure creation, but they can sense that their spell has gone off.)

Each fasted spell counts as an active magic item (on the caster) for purposes of the rule of five and can be lifted at the caster's whim or via Remove Thrown Spell.

Example: Bob does a 1 minute spellfast (1 fatigue) of an image of himself (1 fatigue) in his current hex with his current adjDX to be triggered by the condition that he Teleport away. When he succeeds on the Teleport spell roll to replace his figure with the image.

Last edited by hcobb; 02-10-2023 at 04:13 AM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:22 PM   #168
Shostak

It's a neat idea for a spell. "Fasted" doesn't seem like a clear description. Perhaps "hung" or "conditional" would be better?

Also, I'd recommend a small set of easy durations (minute, quarter hour, half hour, hour, half day, day, week, month, season, half year, year) with associated costs so as to obviate calculations at the table.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:05 PM   #169
hcobb

I'm tempted to take away the duration cost and simply have it continue until triggered or the caster wills it away, given the rule of five limitation. We would then get wizards preparing spells like Brand-X RPG.
Old 02-10-2023, 08:10 PM   #170
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
It's a neat idea for a spell. "Fasted" doesn't seem like a clear description. Perhaps "hung" or "conditional" would be better?
How about... ARCANE TRIGGER?