Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #1
GM Joe

Default On Reading the GURPS 4E Basic Set

I just finished my first full and careful read-through of the GURPS 4e Basic Set, and I must say I’m very much impressed. GURPS 4e is complete, yet uncomplicated thanks to its unified design and modularity. It feels “right” to me much more than previous editions did. (I bought all three previous editions as they were released, but only ever ran 3e— and that only a handful of times. The idea of GURPS was always attractive to me, but the reality didn’t meet my expectations until now.)

I can’t fault anything about GURPS 4e based on my experiences so far. Kudos to the writing team for producing a massive volume of very readable text. The layout is also great. I enjoyed the art throughout. The game design itself is a masterpiece. The whole thing just comes off as welcoming, friendly, and, above all, expertly made. I am deeply grateful for all involved in producing GURPS, and to the fans who have kept it alive all these years.

I look forward to running the game for my group. As mentioned elsewhere, I plan to start off simple, with a modern espionage scenario using a limited list of mundane advantages and disadvantages along with the appropriate skills. We’ll be using just the basic combat, since this won’t be a heavily combat-focused campaign.

My only wish is that keeping all the GURPS 4E volumes in full-color, hardcover print were economical. It’s a shame that the market doesn’t seem to want that. I do, however, appreciate all the support that does exist. While buying out-of-print hardcovers is expensive, at least there is an ever-growing multitude of (PDF-only) supplements, as well as the so-far excellent Pyramid magazine (I’ve only read the last two issues, but I am a subscriber). Perhaps some day the market will change in such a way so to bring GURPS and other traditional RPGs back into the limelight. One can hope.

At any rate, I just wanted to share my thoughts with the GURPS faithful. It may seem lonely at times, but now there’s at least one more member in your ranks.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Gollum

Default Re: On Reading the GURPS 4E Basic Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM Joe View Post
I look forward to running the game for my group. As mentioned elsewhere, I plan to start off simple, with a modern espionage scenario using a limited list of mundane advantages and disadvantages along with the appropriate skills. We’ll be using just the basic combat, since this won’t be a heavily combat-focused campaign.
Don't hesitate to begin with GURPS Lite, then. It is perfect to start, even if you know the third edition very well. Especially if you know it, actually, because it will allow you to notice the changes more clearly, while they may be skipped in the Basic Set, because they are surrounded by a lot of other stuff.

Having said that, have fun! GURPS third edition was great The fourth edition is even greater...
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #3
Refplace

Welcome to the club!
These forums are great for advice and brainstorming as well.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
Gef

GURPS was such an epiphany after class-based systems, and 3e was good, but 4e is better. Still not perfect, but way better. Two of the changes especially stand out: Deceptive Attack, and Talent. Customized Talents make a character good at whatever his concept calls for him to be good at, without being good at everything.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Jonas

4ed isn't bad but can often use a number of house fixes to problems that are officially brushed off as being 'non-issues'. Just don't fall into the mental trap of thinking you have to run things as written, though many here will try very hard to convince you otherwise. :p
----
Per ardua ad astra "Through hard-work to the stars."
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote