Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2017, 05:14 PM   #11
csm

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

(Moved from the DFRPG thread to here as it's more appropriate)

Hey all,

I think one of the biggest reasons GURPS isn't getting the recognition it needs is because it has been essentially out-of-print for a while now. It's not easy to get many of the hardcover books (save for the new POD versions). I picked up my previous GURPS books at Barnes and Noble. Now I'd be hard pressed to pick up anything that wasn't D&D 5E or Shadowrun. The only way that I knew about the new hardcovers is because I've been paying attention. My FLGS hasn't ordered the new hardbacks at all (and sadly I've been out of work so I'm not able to pay for them ATM).

Unfortunately it creates a downward spiral where it's easier for me to start up a not-GURPS game than it is to get a GURPS game going. I think the years of being frugal with GURPS and keeping the support PDF-only have come to roost. Only those who had exposure to it before are still keeping things going.

I'd love to say there's an easy fix, and that throwing money at it with new books will solve everything. Maybe the license for GURPS needs tweaking so third-party publishers can publish material for GURPS without having to get strict approval? I don't know. All I know is I'm guilty of straying to other systems (Fate and GUMSHOE in particular) because I feel like I can do more with the systems. That's in no small part to the availability of the products and the CC-BY license.

I keep 3d6 on my desk as a reminder of where I came from. But there's also 4DF on my desk that point to where I currently am. Here's hoping that the 3d6 doesn't become 2d6 for Dungeon World.
csm is offline   Reply With Quote