Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-10-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
smurf
Banned

Default Supers and battlesuit allies

After my previous attempt I would like to thank everyone in pointing me in the right direction - S79.

So far I understand that DR and ST lifting/striking can be be given "Granted by Armour" -40%

Can this be combined with:
Electronic
Recharge every 24 hours
Can be Stolen
SM0 for the purposes of being stolen
Real Armour
No Stealth

However... what I do not understand the enhancement Special Abilities unless this is to be applied to the Ally advantage.

As I have stated that the character aka the Power Armour Suit is Electronic can all the advantages be given Electronic -10% modifier?

That is anything that counters Electronic shuts the entire suit down.
smurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Phantasm

Default Re: Supers and battlesuit allies

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurf View Post
As I have stated that the character aka the Power Armour Suit is Electronic can all the advantages be given Electronic -10% modifier?

That is anything that counters Electronic shuts the entire suit down.
I wouldn't list the DR or any potential Injury Tolerance it gives as Electronic.

Also, double-checking Supers, where the Electronic power modifier first appeared, it looks as though the power modifier includes Temp Disad: Maintenance (1 hr/ability Weekly) (-5%), Nuisance Effect (Obvious) (-5%), and Temp Disad: Electrical (-20%). YMMV for how much the first two parts come into play, but at a minimum it'd be -20%, not -10%.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting

Last edited by Phantasm; 10-10-2016 at 08:26 AM.
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 08:25 AM   #3
whswhs

What do you plan to use for the frequency of appearance roll? If it's 15 or less, about the biggest chance of failure/unavailability that I'd want, you're going to lose some of the cost advantage to the x3 multiplier; it's even worse if you have it constantly available for x4.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #4
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
What do you plan to use for the frequency of appearance roll? If it's 15 or less, about the biggest chance of failure/unavailability that I'd want, you're going to lose some of the cost advantage to the x3 multiplier; it's even worse if you have it constantly available for x4.
Just use 15 or less because always on tap is supposed to be for npcs.

I don't think the Super dude who is only super in his big suit is going to mind spending x pts on making their suit available.

I can see how this method starts to break some moulds with Allies. Hence a GM needs to rule fiat on some things. Yes a 500 pts dude could invest its points in mega armour for a 5000 pt monstrosity. However I am trying to make a dude in a suit, if somewhat like a not so super four colour Stark.
Old 10-10-2016, 09:20 AM   #5
smurf
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
I wouldn't list the DR or any potential Injury Tolerance it gives as Electronic.

Also, double-checking Supers, where the Electronic power modifier first appeared, it looks as though the power modifier includes Temp Disad: Maintenance (1 hr/ability Weekly) (-5%), Nuisance Effect (Obvious) (-5%), and Temp Disad: Electrical (-20%). YMMV for how much the first two parts come into play, but at a minimum it'd be -20%, not -10%.
Good point. I think it was a case of reworking the script and accidentally duplicating the problem.

Simple solution is to scrub it all together because the suit is supposed to be hardened against some stuff.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Donny Brook

Why complicate the build as an ally instead of just making a suit?
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Why complicate the build as an ally instead of just making a suit?
This is the second time you've said this. What does this mean?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
Phantasm

Well, for one, building the suit as an Ally is generally cheaper than building it with a series of Gadget modifiers. It also tends to be simpler, as you don't have to figure out the various SM and DR values of bits and pieces for the Gadget/Breakable limitations, such as the built-in Radio or Hyperspectral Vision visor, on top of stacking them with the Electronic (-30%) power modifier.

If anything, doing the suit as a collection of Gadget-based Advantages is the more complicated method. Building the suit as an Ally or Alternate Form without needing to mess with that stuff, tacking the Maintenance and Electrical disads on the template/character instead of as Temp Disads on the individual advantages, can be simpler and just as accurate to the source material.

Clear as mud?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 01:51 PM   #9
Kalzazz

I've only once done this for supers, but what I did was

Take High Wealth, high enough to buy a upgraded to TL 10 combat walker with a computer brain, even with the x4 retail markup for TL 10 item at TL 8

Take Signature Asset on Wealth for the Walker

Using pg 84 of Supers, take the Walker as an Ally so it could be upgraded from its baseline self

The Walker then took Alternate Form Honda Goldwing and other stuff

Since Combat Walkers are SM +2, the character also had a commando battlesuit in her saddlebags which was normal no plot protection gear
Kalzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I've only once done this for supers, but what I did was

Take High Wealth, high enough to buy a upgraded to TL 10 combat walker with a computer brain, even with the x4 retail markup for TL 10 item at TL 8
To be able to do that, you need two levels of High TL. Otherwise the high-tech item won't be purchasable.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
supers