Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #11
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: First aid, physicker and the instant fix

Actually JLV we are essentially doing the same thing. You and I have discussed how we both use a defined zone around the lair of a denizen of the deep for Labyrinth Creatures. and how, when, and why they are trigger by something entering into their zone in a past thread HERE

Also, if an Adventure Party wants to "hole-up" in a *safe space* (Juice Boxes, Hypo-Allergenic Blankets, and Petroleum-Free Crayons...*Not Included*) while down in the Underworld, I will group the time into 15 or 20 minute chunks (180 and 240 turns respectively), so I can accurately advance the Labyrinth the are in, as I have all manner of things coming and going, and some things come out of their underground lair at certain times of the day, while other things return the their underworld lairs... So one must always wonder: "Is this space actually the lair of a creature? Is it long dead? Or, just elsewhere at this time; and in fact, is this *Safe Space* the Adventure Party is holed-up in (?!?!) some Big Nasty's home?".

As I sculpt the underworld and the labyrinth tunnels therein exclusive of the existence of an invading adventure party, I have to track the population of the environment. Time moves on, all the creatures go about their daily routine, as no one is sitting in a "room" waiting for a 4-piece PC hot-lunch to wander in. SO, I have to keep strict track of time, and where everything is on GM Map (push pins are great for this) and advance the status and position of the underworld inhabitants therein by Time and Position on a control sheet.

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-03-2018 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #12
flankspeed

I forget if anyone mentioned this already, but I just checked and the Physicker and Master Physicker talents both say they take 5 minutes to heal the 2 or 3 Hits they are allowed to heal. Only one person may work on a wounded person at a time, so it is best to let the Master Physicker do the bulk of the work.

An interesting thing I noticed in the Physicker description is that each "mishap" may be worked on by a healer. If a character takes 5 Hits in one mishap, only one healer may heal that character of 2 or 3 hits. But if that character takes another 5 Hits in a different "mishap," then a healer can cure 2 or 3 Hits again.

This begs the question of whether or not each separate wound to a character should be recorded so that a healer may heal 2 or 3 Hits off of each wound. I think the rules may be defining "mishap" as one battle rather than one wound, but there is room for interpreting each wound as a "mishap" and allowing each wound to be healed of 2 or 3 Hits.

The plot thickens!
Old 08-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #13
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by flankspeed View Post
... An interesting thing I noticed in the Physicker description is that each "mishap" may be worked on by a healer. If a character takes 5 Hits in one mishap, only one healer may heal that character of 2 or 3 hits. But if that character takes another 5 Hits in a different "mishap," then a healer can cure 2 or 3 Hits again.

This begs the question of whether or not each separate wound to a character should be recorded so that a healer may heal 2 or 3 Hits off of each wound. I think the rules may be defining "mishap" as one battle rather than one wound, but there is room for interpreting each wound as a "mishap" and allowing each wound to be healed of 2 or 3 Hits.
Yes!

This forum discussed this a few months ago, and although most people played it as written (per combat), the logical-minded people I played with thought that was too illogical and so we allowed each wound to be treated separately, which increases healing times but also the amount heal-able when someone has several small wounds in one fight.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kane View Post

Also, if an Adventure Party wants to "hole-up" in a *safe space* (Juice Boxes, Hypo-Allergenic Blankets, and Petroleum-Free Crayons...*Not Included*) while down in the Underworld, I will group the time into 15 or 20 minute chunks (180 and 240 turns respectively), so I can accurately advance the Labyrinth the are in, as I have all manner of things coming and going, and some things come out of their underground lair at certain times of the day, while other things return the their underworld lairs... So one must always wonder: "Is this space actually the lair of a creature? Is it long dead? Or, just elsewhere at this time; and in fact, is this *Safe Space* the Adventure Party is holed-up in (?!?!) some Big Nasty's home?".

As I sculpt the underworld and the labyrinth tunnels therein exclusive of the existence of an invading adventure party, I have to track the population of the environment. Time moves on, all the creatures go about their daily routine, as no one is sitting in a "room" waiting for a 4-piece PC hot-lunch to wander in. SO, I have to keep strict track of time, and where everything is on GM Map (push pins are great for this) and advance the status and position of the underworld inhabitants therein by Time and Position on a control sheet.

JK
You take GMing seriously like I do, Jim! :) I have put places in the wilderness, caves along narrow cliffside paths, dungeons, etc. that SEEM like good places to cheat the game ;) and rest for long periods of time, but just so happen to be places where high winds throw you off the cliff, underground rivers periodically flood, etc. Such fun when a party has solidly spiked a solid inward swinging door to break out their lunch boxes and let the wizards sleep and the area begins to rapidly flood, forcing the door closed. So that's why there are skeletal remains clothed in rusty armor laying about! :)
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:31 PM   #15
Jim Kane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
You take GMing seriously like I do, Jim! :) I have put places in the wilderness, caves along narrow cliffside paths, dungeons, etc. that SEEM like good places to cheat the game ;) and rest for long periods of time, but just so happen to be places where high winds throw you off the cliff, underground rivers periodically flood, etc. Such fun when a party has solidly spiked a solid inward swinging door to break out their lunch boxes and let the wizards sleep and the area begins to rapidly flood, forcing the door closed. So that's why there are skeletal remains clothed in rusty armor laying about! :)
Yes, "serious" and "seriously fun" is what it is. I treat my wilderness and underworld much like an HO Scale Train guy treats his layout; it's all about details and how everything interlocks into a logical and symbiotic whole - a truly miniature world - that works on it's own regardless of the presence of a party of PCs or not. Not that I have anything against people who love to play in PC activated "funhouse" Labyrinths, I am just so into this whole miniature world approach, with it's own eco-system which exists even in no PCs were to show up.

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-04-2018 at 02:24 AM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote