Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 05-24-2023, 08:45 PM   #1
Nightmaster

Default Stat Editing in GCA

So my GM runs a Space campaign in GURPS 3rd Edition that is quite interessing and some of the key points of it are the lots of details in the scenario, from alien races and different governments to new technologies.

In that regard he added into the campaign a variant of the TL11 Cybersuit. That variant instead of a ST value that superceed the user own ST the suit increase the user ST in percentages (rounded down) and that is my problem since I dont know how to make the GCA4 (the program I have) calculate those increments. The same issue I have with cybernetic legs that increase move by percentages.

How I command GCA4 to do that math?

Also, since I noticed it later, how I make GCA4 show a column for SS (Snap Shot) because even if I add the stat in a custom GDF the equipment table on the character sheet preview dont show it at all and I am forced to use the notes tag to add the information.

And my last question: How I direct bonus gaining from weapon accessories like Laser Sight to a givem weapon? Every time I trie it gives the bonus to my skill instead of counting it only for that particular weapon.

Any help apreciated.
Nightmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 10:09 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Stat Editing in GCA

gives(=+@int(ST:ST::Score*20/100) to ST:ST)

If you're editing this in GCA you'd paste the bonus into the gives field of the item
Code:
=+@int(ST:ST::Score*20/100) to ST:ST
ST: is the prefix code for attributes (statistics)
ST:ST is specifying the attribute ST. This is used both in the formula on the left of the to and the target on the right.
::Score is telling GCA to look specifically at the attributes score (aka attribute level).
By multiplying by 20 then dividing by 100 this is giving a 20% bonus to ST, based on ST's base level. To make it 25% you'd change the multiplier to 25/100. 10% would be 10/100.
Last the entire formula is wrapped in an @int() which is short for integer; in other words it's dropping fractions, aka rounding down to the nearest whole number.

To do the same thing to Basic Move you'd need to change the attribute listed in both the formula and the target.
Code:
=+@int(ST:Basic Move::Score*20/100) to ST:Basic Move
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 08:49 AM   #3
Nightmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
gives(=+@int(ST:ST::Score*20/100) to ST:ST)

If you're editing this in GCA you'd paste the bonus into the gives field of the item
Code:
=+@int(ST:ST::Score*20/100) to ST:ST
ST: is the prefix code for attributes (statistics)
ST:ST is specifying the attribute ST. This is used both in the formula on the left of the to and the target on the right.
::Score is telling GCA to look specifically at the attributes score (aka attribute level).
By multiplying by 20 then dividing by 100 this is giving a 20% bonus to ST, based on ST's base level. To make it 25% you'd change the multiplier to 25/100. 10% would be 10/100.
Last the entire formula is wrapped in an @int() which is short for integer; in other words it's dropping fractions, aka rounding down to the nearest whole number.

To do the same thing to Basic Move you'd need to change the attribute listed in both the formula and the target.
Code:
=+@int(ST:Basic Move::Score*20/100) to ST:Basic Move
THANKS A LOT!!!!!!!

A question: If I were to round up the numbers how I would do it?

And my last question on my original post is not possible? I mean I cant specify a bonus to a skill that only applies to a guiven weapon or armor instead of the whole skill?
Old 05-26-2023, 10:23 AM   #4
Armin
GCA Prime

To give a bonus to the use of a skill by a particular weapon, you don't give the bonus to the skill, you give it to the weapon.

Each weapon has a 'skillscore' that is the level of the skill used by that weapon, so adjustments can be reflected. It's this skillscore that shows on the weapon tables.

To grant a bonus to that, you'd target the weapon specifically, and target the ::skillscore target within it. Like this:

Code:
=+2 to EQ:TheWeaponYouWantHere::skillscore
Now, obviously, having to specify the exact weapon is kind of annoying. This is why a lot of these kinds of bonuses are done as Modifiers. A modifier that grants such a bonus can grant it to its owner, so it will apply to any trait that has that modifier:

Code:
=+2 to owner::skillscore
Since you said you're using GCA 4, that's pretty much it. Either a direct bonus or a bonus through a modifier, those are your two options there.

If you were using GCA 5, you would also have the option of targeting parent instead of owner, so that you could put the item with that gives(), such as a scope or something, as a child of the weapon, and that bonus would apply to the parent it was under. (Note that we don't actually do this in most of the data, because the data is carried over from GCA4 in most cases, and we haven't had the time or energy to add so much data, but it is there as an option for people to use.)

Oh, I forgot that you can also use target me::

Code:
=+2 to me::skillscore
This would allow you to have the weapon grant the bonus to itself, since that may be easier in some cases, but it may also be more confusing.

Last edited by Armin; 05-26-2023 at 10:26 AM. Reason: forgot me::
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2023, 10:29 AM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmaster View Post
Also, since I noticed it later, how I make GCA4 show a column for SS (Snap Shot) because even if I add the stat in a custom GDF the equipment table on the character sheet preview dont show it at all and I am forced to use the notes tag to add the information.
You can't make the internal displays show SS because that requires modifying the code for GCA4, and that's not possible.

You can modify the character sheets, so you could change whatever character sheet you're using in QuickView (except the built-in one) or printing out to show the SS as a column. That requires some programming to do, since the sheets are written in VBScript, but it is possible to do it.

(I'll consider adding optional support for SS to displays and sheets for GCA 5, to improve support for 3rd Edition users; but I no longer work on GCA 4, so that's not an option there.)

Last edited by Armin; 05-26-2023 at 10:33 AM.
Armin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2023, 10:08 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmaster View Post
A question: If I were to round up the numbers how I would do it?
Add 0.5 to the value inside the @int() function. If the formula results in +0.5 or greater, the added 0.5 will be 1 or greater, so the @int reduces it to the next whole number up. EX: 3.49 + 0.5 = 3.99, @int results in 3. But 3.51 + 0.5 = 4.01, @int results in 4.

Code:
=+@int(0.5 + (ST:ST::Score*20/100)) to ST:ST
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 02:22 PM   #7
Nightmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Add 0.5 to the value inside the @int() function. If the formula results in +0.5 or greater, the added 0.5 will be 1 or greater, so the @int reduces it to the next whole number up. EX: 3.49 + 0.5 = 3.99, @int results in 3. But 3.51 + 0.5 = 4.01, @int results in 4.

Code:
=+@int(0.5 + (ST:ST::Score*20/100)) to ST:ST
Thanks!!!!