Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Tallor

Default Beehive Shells -- Size Limitation?

I really love beehive shells, since their shrapnel does cutting damage and therefore are fully effective against creatures living, unliving, homogenous, or even diffuse (due to so sheer quantity)!

The problem though is that it's a shell, not a bullet. Are there miniature beehive shells? Is such a thing possible?
Tallor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: Beehive Shells -- Size Limitation?

I believe Doug mentioned that exploding rounds aren't really practical below 12.5 mm, so that's a reasonable cut-off point.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 08:25 PM   #3
Ulzgoroth

It's a fairly complex shell with an internal bursting charge. I think you'd be lucky to get it down below grenade launcher calibers...and I don't know if it'd be worthwhile in a low-velocity gun either.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:47 PM   #4
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I believe Doug mentioned that exploding rounds aren't really practical below 12.5 mm, so that's a reasonable cut-off point.
Is it possible with TL9+ ultratech? :o
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 PM   #5
starslayer

It's hard to predict what might be developed with higher technology AND the presence of supernatural creatures (ie; diffuse things)

However even with high tech I think that the ballistics for a tiny beehive are still going to be an issue. Bruno's suggestion of 'no smaller than 12.7mm' seems good
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
It's hard to predict what might be developed with higher technology AND the presence of supernatural creatures (ie; diffuse things)

However even with high tech I think that the ballistics for a tiny beehive are still going to be an issue. Bruno's suggestion of 'no smaller than 12.7mm' seems good
For diffuse targets, concussion rounds are probably the best. It's unliving (without vitals) and homogeneous that go well with cutting.

...And targets like those that actually warrant shooting at are more supernatural than diffuse targets, because swarms are Diffuse.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:13 PM   #7
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
For diffuse targets, concussion rounds are probably the best. It's unliving (without vitals) and homogeneous that go well with cutting.

...And targets like those that actually warrant shooting at are more supernatural than diffuse targets, because swarms are Diffuse.
Would a concussive round actually explode on a Diffuse target, though..?
Old 06-01-2016, 11:19 PM   #8
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Would a concussive round actually explode on a Diffuse target, though..?
Depends on the diffuse target and how it is fused.
Old 06-02-2016, 12:14 AM   #9
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallor View Post
Are there miniature beehive shells? Is such a thing possible?
No. If there were and if it was, we would have mentioned it in High-Tech. In general, if something is impossible per High-Tech, you can assume we had a reason for that. We did research the historical and (then) currently available stuff rather thoroughly.

Of course, advances are made. Fuzes have become smaller even in the 10 years since the book was written, explosives more potent, etc, and this will only continue at higher TLs. Beehive rounds, however, will always require a large bore and a large projectile to accommodate not only the fuze but also a substantial charge and of course enough space for the payload. I really can't see how anything smaller than a grenade (30-40mm minimum) can hold all that.

Cheers

HANS
Old 06-02-2016, 12:50 AM   #10
Tallor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANS View Post
No. If there were and if it was, we would have mentioned it in High-Tech. In general, if something is impossible per High-Tech, you can assume we had a reason for that. We did research the historical and (then) currently available stuff rather thoroughly.

Of course, advances are made. Fuzes have become smaller even in the 10 years since the book was written, explosives more potent, etc, and this will only continue at higher TLs. Beehive rounds, however, will always require a large bore and a large projectile to accommodate not only the fuze but also a substantial charge and of course enough space for the payload. I really can't see how anything smaller than a grenade (30-40mm minimum) can hold all that.

Cheers

HANS
In that case, maybe a 40mm anti-zombie Beehive launcher? :P

Tags
beehive, bullet, help me out here, shell