Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-02-2014, 05:02 AM   #21
fmultimedia

Default Re: Simple character concept. What's yours?

Not knowing the source of the powers makes it a bit harder to give flavour to them. But another simple yet fun character to play is a healer who has a very strong sense of obligation and justice: his heart a butter for the needy, seething steel for the wicked. He probably needs some secondary ability to be more fun to play, like some level of organic control (innate attacks, affliction?), the ability to boost your own physical attributes temporarily or something related to spirits - all depending on the source and flavour of powers over there.

Another cool cliche is the oriental master healer, who would be also wise, knowledgeable, a master of some martial art and have access to loads of Ki abilities and definitely pressure points.

On a totally unrelated notice, the animal friend / lycanthrope is also always fun and can have endless uses depending on the campaign: heightened senses, devastating claw attacks, spies and sentries on demand (humming birds, mice, etc.), often regeneration, and so on.
fmultimedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:20 AM   #22
RadSprack

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmultimedia View Post
Not knowing the source of the powers makes it a bit harder to give flavour to them. But another simple yet fun character to play is a healer who has a very strong sense of obligation and justice: his heart a butter for the needy, seething steel for the wicked. He probably needs some secondary ability to be more fun to play, like some level of organic control (innate attacks, affliction?), the ability to boost your own physical attributes temporarily or something related to spirits - all depending on the source and flavour of powers over there.

Another cool cliche is the oriental master healer, who would be also wise, knowledgeable, a master of some martial art and have access to loads of Ki abilities and definitely pressure points.

On a totally unrelated notice, the animal friend / lycanthrope is also always fun and can have endless uses depending on the campaign: heightened senses, devastating claw attacks, spies and sentries on demand (humming birds, mice, etc.), often regeneration, and so on.
The powers are kind of a grab bag situation. Though most of the characters are going to be more Ki based abilities than anything else.
RadSprack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #23
RadSprack

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I didn't mean a hamster-man, I meant an actual tiny, mute, clever but still sometimes clearly an animal hamster in the tradition of anime magical animals.
I totally get what you're saying. What I mean is that the only playable races are humanoid. There aren't any magical talking animals...that we know of.
RadSprack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #24
Jasonft

I wanted to take it easy on a beginner GM so my last 150 point build was pretty simple. He's poor, smokes a lot, works at a rough biker bar, and is really really good at hitting people in the face with this pair of martial arts sticks he always has with him.

Extra Attack 1, Targeted Attack (face), Technique Master perk (feint), allowed technique perk (Pressure Points), Signature Gear (clubs)

He's got a bit of an attitude and doesn't really care much about people but make trouble in that bar or insult the colors he rides with and you'll find out real quick why the bikers in that town call him 'Sticks'.
Jasonft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #25
mehrkat

1. A really dumb but truly frightening fighter savant.
Gronk Smash to pulp with club.

2. An ROTC guy who wants to be special forces and has been training that way.

3. A very gifted young wizard (using powers to add spells as flavor) Add kicksplody powers and a few analysis powers. Make them spells with Alternative powers using the alternative rule where you can pay for two powers fully and use any two that are lower points. -- try out an episode or three of Fairy Tail Anime

4. A geek and student. -- lots of odd knowledge don't focus on social stuff -- knows history, research, sciences -- not as an inventor but as a student.

5. An incredibly social party girl/guy. "Alllright lets go get some" -- this lets character be social but have no higher agenda. Might have a higher agenda as he gets older but ... he just wants to find some ladies.

6. Any two sprinkled into a character.

None of these are characters that manipulate social characters beyond what is in front of them.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadSprack View Post
I totally get what you're saying. What I mean is that the only playable races are humanoid. There aren't any magical talking animals...that we know of.
Okay, a baby with laser eyes.
1. "I burp"
2. "Goo-goo"
3. "I cry"
4. "I poop my pants"
5. "I throw a fit"
6. "I shoot it with lasers".

Done.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #27
Philosopher Rogue

A drunk who USED to be the Chosen One or Big Damn Hero for something, but that ended when he was a kid. Now he has lived past the glory days and has faded into obscurity.

Maybe he wants to get involved, maybe he doesn't. Maybe he's trying to prove something to himself or maybe he's just bored.

He could have money from product endorsements or a treasure pile, contacts, skills... But they're all in the past. If I was writing him up or GMing it this would be an Accessibility limitation on all his tricks but with the possibility of buying that off.

I would play this in a heartbeat in any appropriate setting.

Last edited by Philosopher Rogue; 10-02-2014 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Autocorrect got me.
Philosopher Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character assistant, character concept, character creation, help me out here, new gm