Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #1
Kfireblade

Default Two characters with atr. { Altered Time Rate }

If two characters both with atr where to fight 1 on 1 would they still take two turns every round? It seems since they are both subjectively experiencing time at the same rate they should each just take one and every round would really be a half second.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:14 AM   #2
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Two characters with atr.

A reasonable houserule for duels. Wouldn't work as easily in group combats, though, as it would bog down into Action Order Tables.
Old 01-15-2017, 11:16 AM   #3
Phantasm

I would imagine that it would come down to whichever was faster for the group. Some folks like being able to take two or more actions per turn, as that's what they're used to in That Other Game, while others would find it faster to just trade off.

YMMV

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

The way I've always done ATR is to give them one "turn" at their full Initiative and the second one at 1/2 their initiative.

If they have more than one level of ATR I just divide their initiative by their total number of "turns" and give them "turns" at those initiative "passes".
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 12:30 PM   #5
weby

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
The way I've always done ATR is to give them one "turn" at their full Initiative and the second one at 1/2 their initiative.

If they have more than one level of ATR I just divide their initiative by their total number of "turns" and give them "turns" at those initiative "passes".
I have done the exactly same. It makes ATR feel more like making you faster instead of sudden bursts of actions.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #6
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post

I rather like that, but it does seem like it almost certainly makes ATR worth less than the RAW version.

Any ideas on how much?
Old 01-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #7
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I rather like that, but it does seem like it almost certainly makes ATR worth less than the RAW version.

Any ideas on how much?
You still get the same number of turns per round. Your parries also refresh twice per round instead of all at once, so, it may actually be worth more than RAW.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
Lia Valenth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
You still get the same number of turns per round. Your parries also refresh twice per round instead of all at once, so, it may actually be worth more than RAW.
But you can't All Out Attack then perform a different action to be able to defend.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Technically, they'd have refreshed N times anyway, but packed together so it's only useful if you're triggering effects you need to defend against during your block of turns.

It only really works this way if there's a pretty broad spread of Basic Speed values in the action (or very high ATR). On the other hand, if it doesn't work it's because you're getting back-to-back turns, which I still think is probably better. So that's a point.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:16 AM   #10
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post

Any ideas on how much?
I'd eyeball it at -10% to -20%. I'm not certain how this should interact with the "act first" clause of ETS, however - does that just apply to the first action and the others are based on the character's Speed, do recalculate them based on the character's nominal Speed being 1 higher than the highest non-ETS initiative, or do you just reinterpret ETS to give something like +10 to Speed for purposes of turn order? It's an interesting idea.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
altered time rate