Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2011, 01:53 AM   #1
Onkl

Default [DF] How to drink multiple potions

Hi guys

In DF1:29 there's the sentence:"Only one dose of a given potion can affect someone at a time, except as noted." The expection being that you can take several doses of some potions, but AFAIK you can't mix the effects.

I would like my players to be able to drink a ST and a DX potion, but this should not be without risk. I'm unsure how to model that and am looking for ideas.

The first thing that comes to mind is a roll vs. modified HT whenever a second potion is swallowed:

Bambam the Barbarian drinks a ST potion and decides to drink a DX potion as well. In this case I would rule, that Bambam would have to roll vs HT minus ST gained from the first potion.
If the roll succeeds, Bambam gets the ST and the DX buff from boths potions, if the roll fails - both the effect of the ST and the DX potion vanish. If the roll critically fails, the GM gets to be evil ("You grow a tentacle/your arm falls off/you transpire an unbearable stench... better read the package insert next time").

To only subract the gain from HT might not be enough... I guess you should apply a flat -X to every attempt to drink a second potion. How high should that flat "minus" be?

What do you think? Do you have other ideas on how to do this?

Last edited by Onkl; 12-30-2011 at 01:57 AM.
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alchemy, dungeon fantasy, fantasy, potions, rules question