Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-28-2015, 07:33 PM   #1
weevis

Default Social Vulnerability: Daddy Issues (?)

As the GM, I boasted to a new player that GURPS rules cover *everything*. She looked through the Basic Set and asked me where she could find the following disadvantage: her character would have a weakness for older men. By this she said she means "a powerful tendency to look up to them, whether they deserve it or not."

Sweating a little, I've looked through the rules and at first I thought I wanted to add a modifier to Gullibility to restrict it to a specific group (older men). But wait--Gullibility specifically states it is about "stories" and lying, not influence generally. "Looking up to" someone sounds like general influence. So maybe it is not in the Basic Set.

Then I looked to Quirks and I found "Easily Influenced." But these -/+1 modifiers seem very weak for a "powerful tendency." They also depend on the "Influencing the PCs" rule (p. B359), which I don't think I need in this case. I expect the player will do a good job roleplaying it without specific influence skill roll modifiers. (Of course I could always use those rules or roll against Will to resist, or something it if became necessary.)

Next I thought maybe the "Preferred Looks" quirk would do it. The definition is right on target, but it still has the problems of "Easily Influenced" (too weak, depends on the "Influencing the PCs" dynamics). But I was thinking that perhaps I could modify it upward with a modifier to make it more powerful.

Finally, I looked through Social Engineering and in fact it recommends adapting the Resistant advantage to apply to resisting social influence (p. 77). Since I think the Resistant advantage is the opposite of the Vulnerability disadvantage this tactic should work to modify Vulnerability as well. So with this approach she could take the Vulnerability disadvantage but in social terms, then add a modifier to to restrict it to a specific group (older men).

That last option currently seems like the best bet. I'm not sure how to price this though.

Or... maybe there is another way I am not thinking of. Everyone on here has such great ideas I thought I would see if anyone had other thoughts about it! I'd appreciate any pointers.
weevis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Social Vulnerability: Daddy Issues (?)

Delusion: Older men are wise and benevolent.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Given that (IIRC) Delusions do not have to be falsehoods, a Delusion like this that is sometimes true and sometimes not could definitely work.

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:43 PM   #4
weevis

Quote:
Wow, that is so much simpler than what I was trying to do. Thank you so much.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:57 PM   #5
Not

First, you shouldn't have bragged. Second, this is pretty clearly quirk: likes older men.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
weevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
First, you shouldn't have bragged.
Ha ha. Yes.

Quote:
Second, this is pretty clearly quirk: likes older men.
Maybe I misunderstood her, but I don't think so. If a player tells me they want a powerful weakness, I'm happy to oblige. I like the -5 for it. In fact, I have a feeling that during the next adventure a charismatic older man is going to insist that her character enter a life of crime.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:51 PM   #7
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by weevis View Post
Maybe I misunderstood her, but I don't think so. If a player tells me they want a powerful weakness, I'm happy to oblige. I like the -5 for it. In fact, I have a feeling that during the next adventure a charismatic older man is going to insist that her character enter a life of crime.
Best to do it in a way that she's not told it's a life of crime. :)

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 01:41 AM   #8
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Delusion is merely a negative social reaction: people think you're "crazy".
Women that like older men aren't crazy whether you think they're icky for having such preferences or not.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:44 AM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Gullible: only toward older men.
Preference alone is meaningless and liking older men is downright beneficial in most human societies throughout time.
Unless it rises to Lecherousness, of course.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
weevis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Delusion is merely a negative social reaction: people think you're "crazy".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
liking older men is downright beneficial in most human societies throughout time.
Well put. Now that you mention it the negative social reaction for this particular delusion doesn't make any sense.

I don't mean to nitpick but I do think a delusion is more than just "merely" a social reaction against you. You "must roleplay your belief at all times." In this way, with this delusion, the player would be compelled to behave differently. That part would work well.

Nonetheless, I don't like the fact that the negative reaction modifier is somewhat nonsensical. Maybe gullibility is the way to go. I shied away from it because of the description's emphasis on lies and "ridiculous stories," which seems like just one part of what this player was getting at.

Tags
disadvantage, gullibility, influence, social engineering, vulnerability