Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
CeeDub

Default Re: [MA: TG] Preventing Movement with Telekinesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
My go-to here has been the default from DX to the Free Fall skill: -5 to DX/skills, which imparts -3 to defenses (half skill, round up). No penalty to target the person thus suspended. A ST penalty due to lack of leverage and equal-opposite reaction effect might be appropriate. -1 or even -2 per die, or just "half damage for melee" would all be easy.
I like this. Stealing it. Not even sorry. Thanks.
CeeDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #12
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I’ve got a fever. And the cure. Is more Control Points!!
I guess if it was permissible to allow CP to reduce DX into the negative that getting someone to -6 DX would mean that even if using +8 to hit (all-out determined telegraphic) that their effective skill being merely 2 (below the 3 minimum to do attacks) would prevent attempts altogether?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeDub View Post
Is there an actual need to pin your opponent down?
If I had TK, I'd lift my opponent up.
Without leverage against the ground or the intangible force that's holding him up, he's helpless.
I think TK would need to use the "Pickup" technique like any other grappler (TG24) in which case they get +4 to skill in their Break Free attacks, but the lack of leverage gives them 1/2 their Grip ST.

Although Grip ST is an odd term to use there (I'd prefer Trained ST) since they might be using things other than hands to break free, such as head-only break free, leg-based break free, bucking bronco... or the ephemeral torso-only No Manipulators wriggle attack which I'm not sure made it from MA>TG

The complication here is that the Pickup technique uses Trained HT and I don't think the Telekinesis power has HT?

Plus even if it did, failures are supposed to cause thrust crushing to your HP, which TK also doesn't have.

For simplicity's sake, for these purposes only, am tempted to handwave TK having HT+HP equal to it's power level (same as ST)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
I guess if it was permissible to allow CP to reduce DX into the negative that getting someone to -6 DX would mean that even if using +8 to hit (all-out determined telegraphic) that their effective skill being merely 2 (below the 3 minimum to do attacks) would prevent attempts altogether?
that's what I was going for with my quip, yes. Skill can mean a lot of things, and the ability to execute moves while under duress is one of them. We say "subtract points from DX" because it's quick and a nice short-code for "anything impacted by overall coordination is also impacted by this." But if you have someone kickin' around at DX+10 for Skill-20, then you can either rule that as soon as DX hits 0, you're done, regardless of skill, or say as soon as your skill drops below 3, you're done. I've always done the second.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
technical grappling, telekinesis