Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 10-10-2021, 12:35 AM   #1
GhengisRexx

Default First Play and Questions

I received my Double Ace Set Thursday, and got it to the table tonight. First , the entire package is drop dead gorgeous, and will be even better when the cars are painted. Tonight we set up a rounded square track with craters in the middle and used the suggested points for a small game. (Two players) We spent about a half an hour unpacking the components and chatting, and probably an hour going over the rules. Our cars ended up fairly similar, each with a turret a large weapon (mine in front, my opponents in the rear) and a couple of one shot rockets. (My opponent's in the front, mine on each side.) He reinforced has back armor, I reinforced my front. His driver was better, my gunner was superior. I took high density tires, he took an off road frame.

I don't know if we designed our vehicles poorly, or brilliantly, or if we really messed up some rules, but it seemed extraordinarily difficult to destroy a car. We played for about 4 hours. It seemed to move quickly, but the defensive rerolls made it so hard to hurt a car. My opponents driver and components let him take 3 ace tokens each turn, and he would typically get one or two more from maneuvers. Each ace token allows you to force an opponent to reroll. His driver had an ability to allow 2 rerolls when spending an ace token.

On many turns I would roll two to five damage, and have each die rerolled over and over until I did none.

Eventually, he ruined his tires from maneuvering, and I got to range. In the end, neither car had any armor, all his weapons and tires were destroyed and his power plant down to 6.

I had one hp left on my turret, and both my crew were down to 1 hp.

If this were an MMA fight we would for sure have gotten fight of the night. There were a few rams, and lots of Paint grenades. Man they are deadly!

I am interested to try it again, and I hope it is not so hard to get a decisive result.
GhengisRexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 04:34 AM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: First Play and Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisRexx View Post
Our cars ended up fairly similar,
Did you not use pre-designed cars for your very first session?
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:59 AM   #3
GhengisRexx

No, we did not. And of course, in hindsight, that would been smart. But there were so many cool cards to pick from!!!
Old 10-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
No, we did not. And of course, in hindsight, that would been smart. But there were so many cool cards to pick from!!!
I recommend using the pre-constructed cars for your first few games. That will get you vrooming and booming faster, and help you get an understanding of the game that will help when you start building cars.

And whatever you do: Don't start with everything at once! Mixing in every expansion for Game One will cause so many headaches as you try to learn everything in one go.
Old 10-10-2021, 01:04 PM   #5
beetle496

So much in the DA box! I don’t expect to open any of the extra cards for quite a while. Towards the end of the KS, I actually scaled down my order, since it was much too much.

I find that ironic because. as a teenager, min-max car design was half the fun! I almost never played the stock designed cars. This time around, the pre-constructed builds might be all I ever use!

Last edited by beetle496; 10-10-2021 at 01:08 PM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #6
JimTullis

Quote:
I don't know if we designed our vehicles poorly, or brilliantly, or if we really messed up some rules, but it seemed extraordinarily difficult to destroy a car. We played for about 4 hours. It seemed to move quickly, but the defensive rerolls made it so hard to hurt a car. My opponents driver and components let him take 3 ace tokens each turn, and he would typically get one or two more from maneuvers. Each ace token allows you to force an opponent to reroll. His driver had an ability to allow 2 rerolls when spending an ace token.

On many turns I would roll two to five damage, and have each die rerolled over and over until I did none.
Your post seems like the opponent was rerolling your dice, if that was the case like you might have a rules issue.
After you roll an attack the defender rolls defense dice. Ace Tokens allow the Defender to reroll their Defense Dice, not to reroll your Attack Dice.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #7
43Supporter

Quote:
I don't know if we designed our vehicles poorly, or brilliantly, or if we really messed up some rules, but it seemed extraordinarily difficult to destroy a car.
I saw this at FnordCon 1 -- played multiple games; never once saw a car taken out.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 02:58 PM   #8
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I saw this at FnordCon 1 -- played multiple games; never once saw a car taken out.
Then you have never seen my cars . . .
Old 10-10-2021, 07:20 PM   #9
GhengisRexx

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Your post seems like the opponent was rerolling your dice, if that was the case like you might have a rules issue.
After you roll an attack the defender rolls defense dice. Ace Tokens allow the Defender to reroll their Defense Dice, not to reroll your Attack Dice.
Jim!!!! Thank you. That is what we were doing wrong. We thought Ace Tokens allowed the defender to force the attacker to reroll the attack dice. And with 3-4 Ace Tokens, each allowing 2x rerolls from the driver ability, I had tons of trouble doing damage. This explains everything. Looking forward to playing again. (And yes, Phil, we will use the stock cars, at least once!)