Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 03-16-2021, 11:29 AM   #61
phiwum

Default Re: Brawling once again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Hi Henry,
Since an unarmed person can still attack, they can still engage. Bears and wolves are unarmed and have no such limitation. For this reason and since you missed some of the other advantages, I have updated the list below:

Advantages of UC I over Brawling:
  • Pin bonus
  • May attempt Kick attack (+2 damage but at -4 DX)

Advantage of Brawling:
  • Can be combined with shield expertise
  • May wear armor (Leather and heavier) <<<
  • May have something in other hand (weapon or torch or anything)
  • May have an IQ less than 10... as low as 7.
  • Does +2 damage instead of +1 in both HTH and regular combat instead of UC1's +1. <<<

The two with <<< are reason enough never to need UC1.
The only reason to go for UC I is that you want to go to the higher levels. It's expensive to do so, but makes for an interesting character.

Oh, and the latest PDF started adding UC I as a requirement for some desirable jobs.
phiwum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 01:16 AM   #62
Anomylous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
Hi Henry,
Since an unarmed person can still attack, they can still engage. Bears and wolves are unarmed and have no such limitation. For this reason and since you missed some of the other advantages, I have updated the list below:

Advantages of UC I over Brawling:
  • Pin bonus
  • May attempt Kick attack (+2 damage but at -4 DX)

Advantage of Brawling:
  • Can be combined with shield expertise
  • May wear armor (Leather and heavier) <<<
  • May have something in other hand (weapon or torch or anything)
  • May have an IQ less than 10... as low as 7.
  • Does +2 damage instead of +1 in both HTH and regular combat instead of UC1's +1. <<<

The two with <<< are reason enough never to need UC1.
If you go with the interpretation discussed above where you only get the +2 in fights that started "friendly", the +2 vs. +1 advantage goes away. The armor advantage remains, though.

I think that Knife and/or UC1 are overall better choices than Brawling for any character meant to represent a trained fighter, because both those talents have upgrade paths (UC1 -> UC2 and up. Knife -> Dagger Expertise, Sword, Thrown Weapons). But Brawling isn't far inferior, when directly compared to either Knife (in HTH) or UC1 on its own.

Real question, does a figure with both Brawling and UC1 get +2 damage, when fighting unarmored, and +3 if they pull dirty tricks on an unsuspecting opponent?
Anomylous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:32 PM   #63
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomylous View Post
... Real question, does a figure with both Brawling and UC1 get +2 damage, when fighting unarmored, and +3 if they pull dirty tricks on an unsuspecting opponent?
No. The figure can use either Brawling or Unarmed Combat, but can't stack their bonuses.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 06:33 PM   #64
Skipper2921

I could see that you have to use on or the other. For the next five seconds I'm going to brawl unscientifically. If you make two attacks, use both talents individually - same as using a sword and an axe.
Skipper2921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:29 AM   #65
larsdangly

It's one of the unstated rules of TFT is that you don't stack related talent bonuses unless specified (like MW talent). Except for cases where you do (like Toughness and Shield Expertise both improving armor protection). Honestly, it is kind of hard to know when you should and shouldn't stack things like this; my rule of thumb is that if it sounds too good to be true, then don't do it. This is also part of my reasoning in not using the old Fighter unarmed damage bonus in HTH - it's a rule that hasn't been revised in 43 years despite the introduction of a whole bunch of relevant talents that never used to exist (and despite the fact that 'fighter' isn't even a category of player character in the modern game). I interpret it as a vestigial organ left over from the days of Melee and Wizard that should have ended up on the editing room floor, and something that does not add to the damage bonuses from talents known but actual 'fighters'.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote