Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Default Help/Critique: Converting spells to RPM!

I know, I know. I could theoretically go through each spell individually and just recreate each one. However, I would like some kind of quick-and-dirty conversion in the meantime. I know it could be useful for others, and a good conversion point to get more people interested in RPM. So here are some ideas...

1. To get the energy cost, one should multiply the fatigue cost by three. This is locked with the idea that it takes someone three fatigue points to produce a single point of energy for any ritual.

2. For any time a spell takes, it will have to be reduced to effective zero. This means somehow placing an enhancement over the entire ritual. This could be negated if the time to cast were used as a delay, I guess.

Here's my attempt at balancing...

A basic 3d fireball spell at three seconds to charge up (assuming Magery 1, I guess) would end up costing 9 energy plus 12 more energy for the Reduced Time enhancement (that's 1 per 5% enhancement). That's a total of 21 energy.

The ritual would be...
Fireball
Greater Create Energy[6];
Damage: 3d burn (dodgeable) [0].
Cost: 18

That's a cost of 21 versus 18. However, this doesn't take into account that the wizard could have had a higher Magery and thus received some damage for free. It also assumes that the campaign says that a fireball is a greater effect. In some magic-heavy campaigns, it might be considered lesser. Not to mention that the ritual could take several turns to gather energy for, and it could require multiple rolls.

So I'm asking for some critique on my suggestions for converting spells from Magic directly into rituals for the RPM system. It certainly isn't perfect, but I am almost positive that others have thought of this before me! Either way, I'm not looking for perfection but, rather, a general idea of how to go about these conversions.

Thanks!
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Help/Critique: Converting spells to RPM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
I know, I know. I could theoretically go through each spell individually and just recreate each one. However, I would like some kind of quick-and-dirty conversion in the meantime. I know it could be useful for others, and a good conversion point to get more people interested in RPM. So here are some ideas...

1. To get the energy cost, one should multiply the fatigue cost by three. This is locked with the idea that it takes someone three fatigue points to produce a single point of energy for any ritual.

2. For any time a spell takes, it will have to be reduced to effective zero. This means somehow placing an enhancement over the entire ritual. This could be negated if the time to cast were used as a delay, I guess.

Here's my attempt at balancing...

A basic 3d fireball spell at three seconds to charge up (assuming Magery 1, I guess) would end up costing 9 energy plus 12 more energy for the Reduced Time enhancement (that's 1 per 5% enhancement). That's a total of 21 energy.

The ritual would be...
Fireball
Greater Create Energy[6];
Damage: 3d burn (dodgeable) [0].
Cost: 18

That's a cost of 21 versus 18. However, this doesn't take into account that the wizard could have had a higher Magery and thus received some damage for free. It also assumes that the campaign says that a fireball is a greater effect. In some magic-heavy campaigns, it might be considered lesser. Not to mention that the ritual could take several turns to gather energy for, and it could require multiple rolls.

So I'm asking for some critique on my suggestions for converting spells from Magic directly into rituals for the RPM system. It certainly isn't perfect, but I am almost positive that others have thought of this before me! Either way, I'm not looking for perfection but, rather, a general idea of how to go about these conversions.

Thanks!
No. Just. No. You can't do that and expect to remain sane. I've had experience in converting Magic spells over to RPM and I can tell you there is only one real rule to do that converting: translate the spirit of the spell not the spell itself. Magic and RPM are not built the same way and thank whatever small gods there are for that. Spirit. Not spell. You follow that and you'll be alright.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 08:11 PM   #3
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
No. Just. No. You can't do that and expect to remain sane. I've had experience in converting Magic spells over to RPM and I can tell you there is only one real rule to do that converting: translate the spirit of the spell not the spell itself. Magic and RPM are not built the same way and thank whatever small gods there are for that. Spirit. Not spell. You follow that and you'll be alright.
Hahahaha! Wow, I think that was exactly the answer that I needed. Luckily, my friend and my lovely lady will be helping me out in rebuilding the spells in the RPM-style. This will definitely be a neat experience... That new RPM book just can't come soon enough!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hahahaha! Wow, I think that was exactly the answer that I needed. Luckily, my friend and my lovely lady will be helping me out in rebuilding the spells in the RPM-style. This will definitely be a neat experience... That new RPM book just can't come soon enough!
I hope I didn't come off rude or confused (I'm sick right now) but I try to poke my head in on a thread when I see "RPM" is in the title.

Become a Patron!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I hope I didn't come off rude or confused (I'm sick right now) but I try to poke my head in on a thread when I see "RPM" is in the title.
No, no. Your reply was a little blunt, but I think you're absolutely right. It will be a lot better in the long run if I just get this out of the way and rebuild the spells as rituals instead of trying to sloppily convert them and pretend to be happy with them! Thank you for your insight!

Also, I hope you get better! Being sick is no fun at all!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
No, no. Your reply was a little blunt, but I think you're absolutely right. It will be a lot better in the long run if I just get this out of the way and rebuild the spells as rituals instead of trying to sloppily convert them and pretend to be happy with them! Thank you for your insight!

Also, I hope you get better! Being sick is no fun at all!
Unfortunately blunt is my standard mode - my friends call it "brutal honesty." Thanks I plan on it. Hopefully.

Become a Patron!

Tags
conversion, magic, ritual path magic, rituals, spells