Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2020, 09:45 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Career Guide

Throughout my career
I've learned that one thing is true:
Everybody delves.
— Ryōri no Tetsujin, Part-Time Delver and Full-Time Chef
It's difficult to imagine the parent of a mighty-thewed barbarian or cackling necromancer asking, "What do you want to do with your life?" Yet every successful delver had to choose a path at some point, because a career spent meandering through trap- and monster-filled dungeons without focus comes with only one guarantee: It'll be short! And the choice isn't an easy one – each academy, guild, and order claims to offer The One True Way, and of course cultures, faiths, and races try to impose their traditions. How's a young adventurer to decide?

As few fantasy worlds have career counselors, the answer to that question is left to the player, who faces a difficult choice between almost 50 professions scattered across 36 GURPS Dungeon Fantasy volumes (so far . . .) and 122 issues of Pyramid. The GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Career Guide aims to simplify the selection process. It lists all the professions so far, describing each in sufficient detail to help you decide what supplements to buy, and indexing its main and alternate templates, lenses, special abilities, and much more. It also provides lists of general lenses, henchman templates, and henchman lenses.

Because puzzles belong in the dungeon, not in character creation!

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-0361
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Career Guide

This come just in time for me, I should meet potential new players soon. (Covid permitting ...)

Thanks for this !

It also show I am missing a pyramid issue with relevant content for my DF incanter !
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #3
TGLS

So will this be updated for free or is the 2020 edition part something to think about?
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #4
Ejidoth

I briefly hesitated, because it's repeating a lot of stuff I already have, but...
I mean, it's $5. Sold.

Thanks for compiling this! It will be useful.

I should note, it doesn't appear to contain the actual templates. It's page/issue references and advice. You still need the book with the actual template/rules you want to use.

Last edited by Ejidoth; 08-28-2020 at 12:30 PM.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
I briefly hesitated, because it's repeating a lot of stuff I already have, but...
I mean, it's $5. Sold.

Thanks for compiling this! It will be useful.
Yeah $5 for a good index of relevant books and Pyramid issues seemed a decent deal to me.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #6
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post

It also show I am missing a pyramid issue with relevant content for my DF incanter !
That's exactly the kind of thing it exists to help with. I mean, I'm the GURPS Line Editor and the primary author and developer of the GURPS Dungeon Fantasy series . . . and each time I go to write an article or supplement, I waste time looking for some little tidbit that I know exists in only the vaguest sense. I had to compile the data anyway, so I figured gamers would want it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post

So will this be updated for free or is the 2020 edition part something to think about?
"2020 Edition" is just fluff intended to follow the pattern of real-life course catalogs and career guides. If we update it in another year, we'll change that on the cover. :)

Quote:

I should note, it doesn't appear to contain the actual templates. It's page/issue references and advice. You still need the book with the actual template/rules you want to use.
It is NOT "all the templates and their related content in one place." That would fill 10 times as much space, render a ton of other products significantly less relevant, take a lot longer to edit, and for all of those reasons cost a great deal more than $5.

Its description makes very clear that it's an index: "GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Career Guide indexes all the stuff in detail. It lists every profession [...] For each, it offers a brief description and then extensive page references [...]."

The price pays for all the hours of research I had to do and double-check. And believe me, that was serious work.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #7
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
It is NOT "all the templates and their related content in one place." That would fill 10 times as much space, render a ton of other products significantly less relevant, take a lot longer to edit, and for all of those reasons cost a great deal more than $5.

Its description makes very clear that it's an index: "GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Career Guide indexes all the stuff in detail. It lists every profession [...] For each, it offers a brief description and then extensive page references [...]."

The price pays for all the hours of research I had to do and double-check. And believe me, that was serious work.
Not complaining. It's $5. I've paid more for a sandwich!
The sheer amount of time I've spent going 'wait, which pyramid has the power-ups for this class?' or 'where was all the mystic knight stuff again?' or 'where was that beastmaster? I remember the article name doesn't say anything about beastmasters but that doesn't really help...'

It's really useful to have this. Again, thanks. It's already been useful since I'm doing a DF game with an Imitator and that class really needs all this information indexed.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:29 PM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Not complaining.
Oh, I realize that! I just want to make clear to those following the thread that this is indeed just an index.

Quote:

I'm doing a DF game with an Imitator and that class really needs all this information indexed.
Keep us posted!

Tags
dungeon fantasy