Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-15-2021, 06:58 AM   #20
WyvernKing

Default Re: G.E.V. unit tactics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJCestero View Post
Quick question: what were his GEVs doing at this time?

I'd say the value of GEVs is situationally dependent -- because it involves everything not firepower or range (a pair of constants). Speed can also kill, but it usually requires more skill to make the most of it. If you were maneuvering early, while he was close to his CPs then he probably had the interior lines advantage over you. Think two circles of different radius but the same origin. A faster force moving along the outer radius can be countered by a slower force on the inner circle. It is hard to make GEVs work against a mix of heavy and missile tanks... they just have more firepower and better armor. It takes time and patience and paying close attention to terrain and planning your GEV retreats properly. It's definitely an acquired skill. The other "Proof of Mastery" in Ogre is how you manage your infantry -- but that's another topic (and my 'solution' is grab the high 'D' terrain as anvils for my other forces hammers. It's not elegant, but offensive infantry against someone who knows what they're doing is hard. I throw myself on the mercy of the court).

But to answer your question more directly (without knowing the details), is no, it's (almost) never too early to start maneuvering. You maneuvering (done right) forces the other guy to start guessing. It distracts him from his own plans, and that is good. You might not have maneuvered enough, or just done some random/aimless maneuvering (hey, we've all been there) to burn up movement instead of purposeful maneuvering to threaten something he valued, or maybe he just out-thought you. Darned enemies keep wanting to win too!

Last bit: you'll notice the expansion to OGRE was called "GEV". Not "HEAVY TANK", not "MISSILE TANK", not even "MOBILE HOWITZER". Don't think that was without reason.
His G.E.V.s were transporting infantry, all he brought were G.E.V. PCs.

But, you were probably right in regards to "not maneuvering enough/aimless manuevering", I'm not sure I really knew what I wanted to do with the G.E.V.s and ended up just sort of throwing them at the enemies without much tactical finesse.
WyvernKing is offline   Reply With Quote