Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 03-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
Buzzardo

Default About distributors and Ogre

When will SJG know whether distributors have decided to carry it? I'm inclined to pre-order a couple copies at my FLGS (Wonko's in Austin - heyo, Eric), but the distributors have to carry the game for that to work.

(I thought about asking by e-mail, but I figure I'm not alone in wondering about it.)
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:34 AM   #2
Vampire-X

Default Re: About distributors and Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
When will SJG know whether distributors have decided to carry it? I'm inclined to pre-order a couple copies at my FLGS (Wonko's in Austin - heyo, Eric), but the distributors have to carry the game for that to work.

(I thought about asking by e-mail, but I figure I'm not alone in wondering about it.)
I am not a SJGames representative, but preordering with your FLGS is a good idea.

One way that Distributors can be encouraged to pick it up, is by the FLGS's asking them to order it.

I manage a comic/game store and have already told our main distributor that I want a few copies. They make a note of it and when the time comes to decide they will look and see how many of us have requested it.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 AM   #3
Phil Masters

I had a brief chat with someone from Leisure Games in London the other day, and it sounds like they're already pushing their distributor to carry it...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Whitestreak

I dorpped off the sell sheet with my FLGS, Viking Hobby in the Sacramento area, and told them that I wanted a copy, through them. They said they would let their distributor know of the interest.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #5
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I didn't mention it to my FLGS owner the last time I stopped in. I didn't have to. He brought it up to me, and is very much hoping it goes through distribution so that he can get several copies at a reasonable price.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #6
Lord Carnifex

If you folks in the know don't mind a naive question, how many major distributors are we looking at here? I'm guessing there's probably at least two or three in North America. At least it doesn't look to me as if one giant (by hobby standards) company has grabbed all of the market share.

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
When will SJG know whether distributors have decided to carry it?
Sadly, the question is not "will distributors carry it?" -- as a publisher with a 30 year history, most major distributors will give anything we release a shot.

The question is "Will distributors carry it in large enough quantities to compensate for the discount they request?" As of today, we don't have an answer yet. We have tentative expressions of interest from the big guys, and we're crunching the numbers. When we made a decision, you'll likely read about it through all the streams we put forth -- Twitter, DI, here, and so on.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
If you folks in the know don't mind a naive question, how many major distributors are we looking at here?
A listing of the distributors we work with can be found here: http://www.sjgames.com/general/distributors/.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #9
Lord Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
A listing of the distributors we work with can be found here: http://www.sjgames.com/general/distributors/.
Huh. Go figure that the question has already been answered and then hidden somewhere out of the way.

How very Illuminated...

"To an Irishman, a serious matter is a joke, and a joke is a serious matter."
Lord Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #10
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post

Ta muchly. You answered my unasked musing regarding distributors in Australia.