Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 04-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #421
Suboptimal00

Default Re: Report To The Stakeholders

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Think of it as a type of consignment arrangement.
To make sure I'm clear, does that apply to both a flooring contract and a fulfillment agent agreement? Are they basically the same thing?
Suboptimal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:12 PM   #422
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

>> Turhan’s Bey Company >> actually, I might just slap some legs on it and use it as a gaming table.

In fact, I inquired of Geek Chic whether they might like to make Ogre Coffee Table Legs, but I never heard back.

>> Suboptimal00 >> The difference between flooring and non-flooring is: our flooring distributors have games in their warehouses (“on their floors”) that they will not pay for until they sell them; the inventory remains ours. (So, not unlike consignment, but apparently not legally quite the same thing.)

PSI is our fulfillment agent; they receive shipments from printers, warehouse them, and ship them to distributors and chain stores. They do not sell to individual retailers – that is the job of the distributors.

Most distributors buy their games through PSI, pay for them on standard 30-day terms, and sell them as soon as they can. Several factors, including sheer sales volume, affect whether a distributor is offered a flooring contract; we can’t afford to offer a distributor a flooring contract unless they have a lot of throughput, because it ties up our inventory! But when a flooring deal works properly, it makes it much less likely that a distributor will run out of a given product due to a temporary sales bulge. (Still, it can happen, which is one reason that we advise retailers to have accounts with more than one distributor.)
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #423
stefanj

PSSSST! STEVE! OGRES have treads.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #424
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj View Post
Cue Steve saying, "Oh no! We have to redo the rulebook!"

:-P
Old 04-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #425
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
I have power tools and demonstrated poor judgement when it comes to this sort of thing. I may have to build a Coffee Table Mk. V.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #426
Buzzardo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Cue Steve saying, "Oh no! We have to redo the rulebook!"

:-P
Oh, noes! ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I have power tools and demonstrated poor judgement when it comes to this sort of thing. I may have to build a Coffee Table Mk. V.
You could probably have a cottage industry making legs for all those Ogre boxes. ;)

On a more serious note, I just want to thank Steve for being the most open business person I know of and for making Ogre Designer's Edition, and GURPS, and Illuminati, and Car Wars, and .... :)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?

Last edited by Buzzardo; 04-18-2013 at 06:42 PM. Reason: left out a word
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:29 AM   #427
JLV

Nice report, Steve. Thanks for taking the time. Again.

Reminds me slightly of the good old days with SPI, before the wheels came off in the mid to late 70's.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #428
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
>> Suboptimal00 >> The difference between flooring and non-flooring is: our flooring distributors have games in their warehouses (“on their floors”) that they will not pay for until they sell them; the inventory remains ours. (So, not unlike consignment, but apparently not legally quite the same thing.)
At least in my own business, we call this "Vendor-Managed Inventory." We use it to keep critical spares within stone's throw of important equipment that could go down (and thus impact our ability to supply all you fine folks with hard disc drives for all the SJG PDF releases) without it. The vendor keeps the spares on site, and we pay them when they're used.
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #429
Balok

I am happy to see the report each year, and happy to see that the company is doing well. Years ago there were problems with accounting that had me concerned - I'm glad to see those business issues addressed.

Would I like to see more GURPS? Sure, it's my favorite SJ product. But since I also like Ogre and Car Wars it's a little difficult for me to complain! :)

Thanks for writing the report, and I wish you continued success!
Balok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #430
Alden Loveshade

I've been following Steve Jackson Games since before Steve's quite unusually open and frank stakeholders report. One thing I've seen over and over again is a version of "support the hobby." In this report he promotes other companies and game makers and offers to support other people and their games. One might just get the impression he wants to support the hobby.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote