Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-19-2020, 09:26 PM   #1
Biscuri

Default Social and mental traits on shapeshifting races templates

Hi guys. I'm creating racial templates for "were-creatures", like werewolfs and werecats. In my setting, their alternate forms are very powerful, unlike the were-creatures example on the book, so they cost a lot (50-60 CP each, the entire racial template going to 100+).

I'm using mental and social disadvantages on some races, such as Duty for werewolfs and Loner for werecats, as the entire races share these traits, with few exceptions (eg., a werewolf that refuses his Duty would have social stigma or even enemies).

I haven't seen social or mental disadvantages being used on racial templates at all, but there's no mention that they shouldn't be used, that's a bit confusing.

Since these are social and mental disadvantages, should I carry them over to all their respective Alternate Forms to calculate the cost? Or treat them as personal traits, even if it's racial?
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:36 PM   #2
namada
Banned

Default Re: Social and mental traits on shapeshifting races templates

An Alternate Form is just a Trait on the Racial Template, just like any other. No need to "carry over."
namada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:08 AM   #3
Biscuri

Sorry, I think I wasn't clear.

The book says to get the difference between all racial traits except from Alternate Form, then calculate Alternate Form from that value: (difference * 0.9) + 15. I understand that. What I'm asking is: should I copy the social/mental traits into the Alternate Form traits?

A basic example:

Human form:
Extended Lifespan 6 [12]
Speak With Animals (felines) [10]
Callous [-5]

Alternate Form (werecat): (53 - 19 = 30,6 + 15 ~= 46 CP)
MT +1
ST +1 [10]
DX +2 [40]
Talons [8]
Semi-Upright [-5]

For a total of 19 + 46 = 65 CP

Considered they should be able to speak with felines in their Alternate Form and retain their lifespan, it makes sense that I "carry over" that ability here so it's not lost when changing forms (as the traits replace the human ones), then it would look like this:

Alternate Form (werecat): (75 - 19 = 56 *0,9 + 15 ~= 66 CP)
MT +1
ST +1 [10]
DX +2 [40]
Talons [8]
Extended Lifespan 6 [12]
Semi-Upright [-5]

Making a total of 19 + 66 = 85 CP

What I'm asking is if that thought is correct and if social traits, like Callous in this case, should be treated the same way.
Biscuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 12:36 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuri View Post

What I'm asking is if that thought is correct and if social traits, like Callous in this case, should be treated the same way.
Yes to both.
If its part of the racial template it goes on the form, though if its on the base form it helps reduce the difference.
Also those were cats have normal manipulators? If they dont that disadvantage lowers the cost, and lowers cost of DX and ST
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 01:38 AM   #5
aesir23

The way I do Alternate Forms is to ignore the talk of racial templates entirely and just compare the two Character Sheets (ignoring the Alternate From advantage itself.) E.g.:

Normal Form:
Extended Lifespan 6 [12]
Callous [-5]
=17 points

Wereform
Extended Lifespan 6 [12]
Callous [-5]
MT +1
ST +1 [10]
DX +2 [40]
Talons [8]
Semi-Upright [-5]
=70.

70 - 17= 53. Therefore, Alternate Form costs (15+(53X0.9))= 63 points.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:43 AM   #6
malloyd

Quote:
Since these are social and mental disadvantages, should I carry them over to all their respective Alternate Forms to calculate the cost? Or treat them as personal traits, even if it's racial?
If they have them in both forms, then yes. Otherwise no. I'd expect a genuinely racial social trait to still apply regardless of what form you are in, but some social traits can apply only to one form (Social Stigma (Monster) for example - you are still a Monster in your human form, but it isn't [obvious]).

Mental disadvantages often do depend on your form. The classic were* curse is loaded with them, the ones that make you act like a monster or wild animal while transformed.
Old 02-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #7
Proteus

Quote:
Considered they should be able to speak with felines in their Alternate Form and retain their lifespan, it makes sense that I "carry over" that ability here so it's not lost when changing forms (as the traits replace the human ones)....
My understanding is that any additions to the standard, zero-point, human racial template do carry over, since Alternate Form merely replaces that template with another, while maintaining any additional advantages or disadvantages that you've bought.

So if you're strong for a human, you'll still be strong for a werewolf; if you're Greedy as a human, you'll still be greedy as a wererat; if you're blind as a human, you'll still be blind as a weretiger.