Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-09-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
jason taylor

Default Re: Adding Hooks to Swords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
It's a costly addition useful only for showy experts. It will always be easier to simply cut your opponent's hands off than disarm them.
Why make the already difficult maneuver even harder for those willing to plunk down CPs?
My bad, I was thinking of something that looked a little more like a war hammer or the narrow side of a halberd. Rereading the OP it sounds like something that would just be a bother, would get in the way in the field and would look ugly on display. Arab daggers have hooks though and I can't understand what's with that; that looks even odder then on a sword.

But yeah. Bloodless disarming is cinematic. Is there even any real technique for that?

Last edited by jason taylor; 06-09-2014 at 11:35 AM.
jason taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:56 AM   #22
Tomsdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
My bad, I was thinking of something that looked a little more like a war hammer or the narrow side of a halberd. Rereading the OP it sounds like something that would just be a bother, would get in the way in the field and would look ugly on display. Arab daggers have hooks though and I can't understand what's with that; that looks even odder then on a sword.

But yeah. Bloodless disarming is cinematic. Is there even any real technique for that?
I'm not sure bloodless disarming is necessarily cinematic, its just more difficult than just ending a fight by damaging your opponent beyond his ability to continue. And anything that makes you life more difficult in a fight makes the fight more dangerous for you.

Special circumstances might apply making it a more worthwhile tactic. e.g you really, really can't risk killing them, they are so well armoured that disarming is an optimal way to end a fight, etc, etc.

Ultimately winning is winning, and if you can win by hooking and tripping and disarming etc, then that's a win. I just can't help but think though with all else being equal winning by I stick my sword into him until he stops moving in a way I don't like, is on balance easier.

Last edited by Tomsdad; 06-09-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Tomsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:06 PM   #23
dagothdoom

The scabbard problem can be avoided by having a hook to simply hold it in place. While it is more likely to fall off if upside down, it makes it easier to pull out and can be easily found or made.
dagothdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:06 PM   #24
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
That's the solution really. If you don't think Shaolin hook sword, but something more like basket hilt with ridiculously long hooked quillion, or Sai-like think with one of the side pieces with an angle bend in it, much the same thing, there's no reason to think it matters to thrust.
Sure that works, though you won't have the benefit of the sword's reach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polydamas View Post
That is the problem: the things which are most important to most sword-carriers (what will people think when they see me wearing it, is it comfortable, can I afford it, how much work is it to keep ready) are hard to represent in a game, while things which rarely matter, like slightly better hand protection, are easy to represent. In the end its just a game and I should really just relax.
PCs aren't most people and care about different things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
I'm not sure bloodless disarming is necessarily cinematic, its just more difficult than just ending a fight by damaging your opponent beyond his ability to continue. And anything that makes you life more difficult in a fight makes the fight more dangerous for you.

Special circumstances might apply making it a more worthwhile tactic. e.g you really, really can't risk killing them, they are so well armoured that disarming is an optimal way to end a fight, etc, etc.

Ultimately winning is winning, and if you can win by hooking and tripping and disarming etc, then that's a win. I just can't help but think though with all else being equal winning by I stick my sword into him until he stops moving in a way I don't like, is on balance easier.
Winning is achieving your win condition. Anything that doesn't do that, no matter how badly it works out for the other guy, is not a win.

Realistically people don't operate like GURPS fighters for whom the relative difficulty of moves don't vary much. The difficulty of disarming has been overestimated to an absurd degree. It's not cinematic, "guy who disarms people as a default move" is cinematic.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 03:56 PM   #25
Flyndaran
Untagged

Irrational style is not cinematic, merely not recommended.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:59 PM   #26
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindri View Post
The difficulty of disarming has been overestimated to an absurd degree.
Not really. In order to disarm someone, you have two choices. First, you can attack the hand so they are no longer capable of holding the weapon. Secondly, you can apply more force to their weapon than they are able to apply to keep hold of the weapon.

Method 2, unless the target flinches or otherwise fails to maintain a proper grip, isn't really possible unless the target weapon has something you can grab hold of (such as a hook...), a smooth blade just doesn't have the friction to let you pull the weapon away.
Old 06-09-2014, 04:00 PM   #27
Sindri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Irrational style is not cinematic, merely not recommended.
I presumed "and isn't just crazy" didn't need to be pointed out but apparently it does.
Sindri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 05:19 PM   #28
gilbertocarlos

3 pages, and I'm yet to see the answer to the original question:

If for 3-5% extra on the cost you can have a hook on your sword while keeping both it's standard cutting and thrusting attacks(I.E. you can still cut and thrust as a standard thrusting broadsword/greatsword):

A) Where would this hook be?
B) Why is there no real world example of that?
C) Shouldn't it have a penalty on things like fast draw, impaling attacks or cutting attacks?
Old 06-09-2014, 06:10 PM   #29
jason taylor

In point of fact disarming isn't really a technique for fighting at all. It is a technique for avoiding grossing out the audience with the results of such an inherently gooey weapon as a sword.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:43 PM   #30
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Arab daggers have hooks though and I can't understand what's with that; that looks even odder then on a sword.
Um, no. Some Arabian daggers have scabbards that are hooked. That's just a decorative style. The blades inside are just curved knives of a fairly practical design--at least every example I've ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
If for 3-5% extra on the cost you can have a hook on your sword while keeping both it's standard cutting and thrusting attacks(I.E. you can still cut and thrust as a standard thrusting broadsword/greatsword):

A) Where would this hook be?
B) Why is there no real world example of that?
C) Shouldn't it have a penalty on things like fast draw, impaling attacks or cutting attacks?
Well, if you place the hook 6 or so inches down the blade, protruding from one side, it shouldn't effect impaling or cutting attacks, the blade can stab deep enough to reach any organs and you can always cut with the other side of the blade. GURPS makes no distinction between single and double edged blades.

Fast Draw is a good point but there are ways around that in scabbards design.

As for B): No society has deemed the ability to perform a hook technique worth the cost and weight. Especially when axes, warhammers, and polearms have been available--and are cheaper and easier to make then swords.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
combination weapons, hook, hook technique, low-tech companion 2, martial arts