Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 10-24-2021, 11:10 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Skeletons deserve a hug

Zombie Hugger, Human, age 20
ST 8, DX 12, IQ 12, MA 10
Talents include: Acrobatics, Alertness, Physicker, Pickpocket, Unarmed Combat III, Whip
Language: Common
Weapon: 5*whip (1d-1)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-1)

Trips up and pins zombies, then removes and replaces their zombie rings to put them under new management.

Which leads to the real question of what is the effective IQ of a ring controlled zombie? If zero then how do they obey orders?
Old 10-24-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
phiwum

Default Re: Skeletons deserve a hug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Zombie Hugger, Human, age 20
ST 8, DX 12, IQ 12, MA 10
Talents include: Acrobatics, Alertness, Physicker, Pickpocket, Unarmed Combat III, Whip
Language: Common
Weapon: 5*whip (1d-1)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-1)

Trips up and pins zombies, then removes and replaces their zombie rings to put them under new management.

Which leads to the real question of what is the effective IQ of a ring controlled zombie? If zero then how do they obey orders?
He's pretty specialized. Is there a big enough market that guys train specifically for this position or did he just happen to find a niche for his specific talents?

Well, maybe I'm being unfair. What's really relevant to his odd profession? UC III, Whip and Pickpocket, I suppose. And knowing a necromancer or magicker who can churn out zombie rings (which don't come cheap or quickly).
phiwum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 07:30 PM   #3
Axly Suregrip

Just curious, why Acrobatics? Just in case I am missing something about zombie hugging.

Alertness, Physicker, Pickpocket are just for general usefulness? Right? You should not need pickpocket to remove a ring from a disabled foe.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
phiwum

Yeah, I wasn't sure about what Pickpocket was for, though I put it on the list of relevant talents.

Running might be pretty useful for a UC guy.
Old 10-24-2021, 10:38 PM   #5
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Yeah, I wasn't sure about what Pickpocket was for, though I put it on the list of relevant talents.

Running might be pretty useful for a UC guy.
Yes, good call on the Running. Can get into HTH with foes (zombies) with lower MA.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:32 AM   #6
hcobb

This is a skillset for a wizard's bodyguard and while not relevant for the IQ of zombies question, I'm happy to go over the list.

Acrobatics - Used for dodging slimes and traps as you lead the wizard around
Alertness - Spot slimes, traps, ambushes, etc.
Physicker - Patch up the wizard
Pickpocket - Connection to rings at ITL 103 https://thefantasytrip.game/resources/errata/
Unarmed Combat III - Pin zombies for ring swap and the living for Drain Strength
Whip - used to trip pinning targets. Whips would be right up there with daggers if only they could be very fine also.
Old 10-25-2021, 09:02 AM   #7
Peter von Kleinsmid
The Fantasy Trip Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Because that's one of the things the magic of the Zombie Ring says it does. It gives the person who put on the ring verbal but not telepathic control. Like the enchantment description says.

Zombies are not living creatures, so their IQ score and resulting behavior and abilities do not work exactly the same way that an animal's does.
Peter von Kleinsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #8
tomc

I think the zombies should be just intelligent enough to mess with the players.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
larsdangly

is your interpretation that you can mess with someone you've pinned without breaking the pin? That seems to be what you suggest by saying the ring can be removed and replaced. if so, where did that idea come from? I assumed you were not allowed to attack or otherwise manipulate a pinned foe without releasing the pin.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #10
phiwum

Maybe the idea is that a pickpocket could do it without breaking the pin?

I kinda wonder how many necromancers are around in order to motivate this professional specialty. I mean, zombies must be a long-term recurring problem for a guy to train just for this eventuality.

Mind you, he's not too bad for a wizard's assistant in some ways, but there better be another assistant who can put some hurt on folks who are down. A weapon expert could make use of a shrewd blow once the fella is downed, for instance.