Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 07-19-2023, 04:39 AM   #1
hcobb

Default Question about the Main-Gauche

Sam, Human, age 20
ST 9, DX 12, IQ 11, MA 10
Talents include: Acrobatics, Climbing, Fencer, Knife, Physicker, Tactics
Language: Common
Weapon: rapier (1d+1), Main-Gauche (1d)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-3)

Questions...
  1. When does Sam suffer the -1 DX from her Main-Gauche? (Same as a small shield as per ITL 111)
  2. Can Sam strike with the rapier at one foe and the Main-Gauche (at -4 or -5?) at two different foes on the same turn (ITL 41) or must both attacks be directed against the same target (ITL 111)?
  3. If Sam takes a strike with the rapier and a "parry" with the Main-Gauche (ITL 41 option b) how many hits does the Main-Gauche stop from single handed swords vs two handed swords?
  4. If Sam takes a double parry (ITL 41 option c) what is the adjusted roll to hit her? (3/DX base plus one die from ITL 41/c and another die from ITL 40?) And another -1 to hit her due to weapon(s) in hand?
  5. How many hits does this double parry stop from successful hits to her front, from one and two handed swords?
  6. ITL 40 says Sam doesn't get the +1 damage from her main-gauche in HTH combat, but can she make shrewd thrusts with it in HTH? Or is she restricted to daggerish aimed shots as per ITL 120?
  7. Can a main-gauche be fine or very fine (but not well balanced) as a dagger under ITL 123?
  8. Is the main-gauche the only fencing weapon that can be enchanted to stop extra hits (ITL 28) and if so when does this enchantment apply?
Old 07-19-2023, 10:40 AM   #2
Axly Suregrip

Default Re: Question about the Main-Gauche

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Sam, Human, age 20
ST 9, DX 12, IQ 11, MA 10
Talents include: Acrobatics, Climbing, Fencer, Knife, Physicker, Tactics
Language: Common
Weapon: rapier (1d+1), Main-Gauche (1d)
Attacks and Damage: Punch (1d-3)

Questions...
  1. When does Sam suffer the -1 DX from her Main-Gauche? (Same as a small shield as per ITL 111)
  2. Can Sam strike with the rapier at one foe and the Main-Gauche (at -4 or -5?) at two different foes on the same turn (ITL 41) or must both attacks be directed against the same target (ITL 111)?
  3. If Sam takes a strike with the rapier and a "parry" with the Main-Gauche (ITL 41 option b) how many hits does the Main-Gauche stop from single handed swords vs two handed swords?
  4. If Sam takes a double parry (ITL 41 option c) what is the adjusted roll to hit her? (3/DX base plus one die from ITL 41/c and another die from ITL 40?) And another -1 to hit her due to weapon(s) in hand?
  5. How many hits does this double parry stop from successful hits to her front, from one and two handed swords?
  6. ITL 40 says Sam doesn't get the +1 damage from her main-gauche in HTH combat, but can she make shrewd thrusts with it in HTH? Or is she restricted to daggerish aimed shots as per ITL 120?
  7. Can a main-gauche be fine or very fine (but not well balanced) as a dagger under ITL 123?
  8. Is the main-gauche the only fencing weapon that can be enchanted to stop extra hits (ITL 28) and if so when does this enchantment apply?

Great questions. Here is my take:

#1) I always thought this quote from ITL 111 makes no sense as a Small Shield has no DX penalty. Zero. But I take it to mean to apply the Main Gauche ("MG" from now on) DX -1 penalty the same as a shield penalty. That is, immediately and always while the weapon is in hand. The penalty goes away when the weapon is slung.

Although, while this is how I play the MG, I will point out this is not how the sample hero cards apply the DX -1. Notice that the Brant, Simonn and Tyvara cards carry MGs but none have an adjusted DX. On the other hand Meg and Ylva have large shield and the adjusted DX shows it is reduced by the shield. Then again these hero cards were so full of errors, I won't use them as a rules reference. It is good to note though.

#2) Since Fencing give Sam two weapons capability beyond just having a MG, Sam may attack two different targets. The rapier is at DX -1 due to have a MG readied. The MG is at DX -5 (base adjustment of -1 due to MG, plus -4 due to off hand attack).

#3) Great question. You are pitting two rules against each other. MG cannot parry a two handed weapon normally and only blocks -1 damage - vs - Two Weapons talent allows parrying two handed weapons and blocks -2 damage. Since Fencing grants the Two Weapons talent, the MG is used better than it would normally. That is, I would grant the -2 and protection against two handed weapons.

#4) I would grant both dice (5/DX) and the DX -1. I may be convinced by someone arguing the two dice are too much.

#5) -4 from each hit. Regardless of one or two handed.

#6) no. Fencing is not a HTH skill. None of the advantages it gives are used in HTH. I extrapolate that from the lack of +1 damage in HTH.

#7) I bet I have argued against this before, but today I am inclined to say yes. That is, ITL 111, draws and equivalence between daggers and MGs. So, yes, I would allow a MG to be fine +2 damage just as daggers are. No DX bonus nor any damage shield bonus through being fine.

#8) Yes and applies same as shields. Maybe I am not answering as I feel I am not getting the point.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:30 PM   #3
Shostak

Default Re: Question about the Main-Gauche

Things would be simpler and clearer if main gauche were jettisoned altogether to allow Two Weapons to take precedent. Want to fight with a rapier and main gauche? Learn Fencer. Want similar benefits from fighting with sword and hatchet? Learn Two Weapons. After all, using a parrying dagger in tandem with a primary weapon is more a question of training than of weapon. While a main gauche is designed to offer more hand protection than a typical dagger, that level of construction detail is well beyond TFT's level of abstraction.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote