Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-27-2019, 11:43 AM   #41
Antiquation!

Default Re: Conditional Injury with Knowing Your Own Strength

Apologies; in rereading the KYOS article, I realize I mis-remembered that damage scaling did change in that it does not flatten out later on and maintains a persistent +1/level in relation to ST increases. So this means big creatures are a lot scarier while using Conditional Injury as well (although I maintain that this seems to be as intended per KYOS?).

Edit: Another brainfart on my part; big creatures are not *more* dangerous, but rather (if converting to KYOS strength/BL) they're *less* dangerous with the new damage values. Example: ST 100 = KYOS ST 30, so Sw 13d -> Sw 6d.

Re-Edit: Nope, neither. Not even close. After conversion from RAW Strength to KYOS Strength, damage itself remains approximately the same. My brain's a little melty.

Last edited by Antiquation!; 08-27-2019 at 02:35 PM.
Antiquation! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 11:56 AM   #42
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Oh, also, what should be done with ST-based weapon damage modifiers in this +10 = ×20 system? I figure it's somewhat related to how DR works since DR is subtraction and ST-based weapon damage modifiers are addition and subtraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
IMHO, KYOS is primarily about the relationship between ST and weight, while CI is primarily about the relationship between ST and damage. HP is a “damage” thing, so you should take your cues for it from CI rather than KYOS, where they conflict. Since both are based on ST, that will imply a relationship between weight and HP; but IMHO, that's not as important as the relationship between damage and HP: Those should be kept in sync with each other, else you end up with high-ST characters having far more ability to dish out damage than to take it, while low-ST characters end up being exceptionally good at taking damage in comparison to their ability to dish it out.

That's why I'm suggesting that HP (or its log-counterpart, RT) should be designed to parallel damage-dishing capability, and letting the relationship between weight and HP fall where it may.
If in standard GURPS, HP = ST, would it not still be HP = ST if both values are converted using the same formula?
  • Using standard GURPS, a ST/HP 20 person does thrust 2d-1 damage, which averages to 6 damage. Against a ST/HP 12 person, this is enough for a Major Wound.
  • Using standard GURPS with CI, a ST/HP 20 (RT 6) person does thrust 2d-1 damage, which averages to 6 (WP 2) damage. Against a ST/HP 12 (RT 4) person, that gives Severity -2, which is a Major Wound.
  • Using KYOS with CI (based on +10 = ×20), a ST/HP 16 (RT 26) person does thrust 2d damage, which averages to 7 (WP 17) damage. Against a ST/HP 10 (RT 20) person, this will lead to Severity -3 (Severity -0.9 in +6 = ×10), which is Reeling (more severe than a Major Wound).
  • Using standard GURPS, a ST/HP 22 person does swing 4d damage, which averages to 14 damage. Against a ST/HP 28 person, this is enough for a Major Wound.
  • Using standard GURPS with CI, a ST/HP 22 (RT 6) person does 4d damage, which averages to 14 (WP 5) damage. Against a ST/HP 28 (RT 7) person, that gives Severity -2, which is a Major Wound.
  • Using KYOS with CI (based on +10 = ×20), a ST/HP 17 (RT 27) person does thrust 2d+1 damage, which averages to 8 (WP 18) damage. Against a ST/HP 19 (RT 29) person, this will lead to Severity -11 (Severity -3.3 in +6 = ×10), which is a Minor Wound (less severe than a Major Wound).
It seems like the answer is no as you suggested. Though, the results are fairly close. How could this be resolved?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
A major motivation behind using a log scale for damage is to reduce the math: it lets you replace multiplication and division with addition and subtraction, and it lets you replace powers with multiplication and division. Every ± modifier found in CI has an existing multiplier or divisor in the standard rules: things like Unliving applying a divisor to damage become simply levying a straight subtraction penalty in the CI system.
To clarify, my question about simplification was specifically in response to rolling 5d, taking the three best rolls, subtracting 14, and adding the result to WP. I wasn't sure if there's a more streamlined approach, even at the cost of losing a bit of the reasonableness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There are basically three concerns which decide the specific scaling you use [...].
To be honest, I'm quite lost with this math. My intent is to have RT = HP + 10, WP = damage + 10, and then figure out how ST relates to HP. Obviously, HP:damage and RT:WP are 1:1. In KYOS, ST can also be determined by weight using ST = 10 × log(weight in lb/6) with up to a -4 penalty at the end for beings with fine dexterity (like humans). Again, I'd guess that this is somehow related to how ST, HP, and weight all relate.

So, we know how ST and weight relate. And we know how HP and damage relate. How do we relate HP and ST/weight using the numbers we already have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
I've been watching this thread with much interest [...].

No real comment, other than to reply and say "Yes" to the SSR being as close as possible to the "how many HP damage does it take to get to 0, -HP, -NxHP, and finally -10xHP. Plus the various multipliers for stuff.
No real comment, other than to say I'm glad you popped your head in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquation! View Post
So I have a very silly question, as some of the math and conjecture in this thread is above my head:

Why is it that KYOS and CI don't properly work together?

[...]damage, at a certain point, lacks comically far behind lifting capacity (i.e. I can lift a tank as easy as my tennis shoe, but I'm not even close to being able to punch it for meaningful damage[...]

I guess I just can't see why the default HP # needs to change, because it doesn't have to change at all per KYOS [...].
For the first underlined part, this is why DR would need to go on a logarithmic scale as well, which I pointed out in my second post under Note about DR. You're right, though. If you left DR the same, it wouldn't make much sense, which always bothered me until I found naloth's thread that suggests scaling DR as well.

For the second underlined point, that's exactly because it was easier to keep HP quadratic. Though, again, you have a point. If the new damage progression was meant to be used alongside quadratic HP, couldn't you just use that damage for CI? I'd say maybe because I don't 100% know the answer, but I'd lean toward no. KYOS just wasn't fully fleshed-out.

Last edited by Raekai; 08-27-2019 at 11:59 AM.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:05 PM   #43
Antiquation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
For the first underlined part, this is why DR would need to go on a logarithmic scale as well, which I pointed out in my second post under Note about DR. You're right, though. If you left DR the same, it wouldn't make much sense, which always bothered me until I found naloth's thread that suggests scaling DR as well.

For the second underlined point, that's exactly because it was easier to keep HP quadratic. Though, again, you have a point. If the new damage progression was meant to be used alongside quadratic HP, couldn't you just use that damage for CI? I'd say maybe because I don't 100% know the answer, but I'd lean toward no. KYOS just wasn't fully fleshed-out.
This makes sense, thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:38 PM   #44
Anthony

Quote:
To be honest, I'm quite lost with this math. My intent is to have RT = HP + 10, WP = damage + 10, and then figure out how ST relates to HP. Obviously, HP:damage and RT:WP are 1:1. In KYOS, ST can also be determined by weight using ST = 10 × log(weight in lb/6) with up to a -4 penalty at the end for beings with fine dexterity (like humans). Again, I'd guess that this is somehow related to how ST, HP, and weight all relate.
If you use the KYoS rule for computing ST scores, you should use +30 = x10. If you use the scaling of BL in Basic, it's acceptable to use +20 = x10, because x1000 mass (x10 hp) only gives x100 BL (+20 ST in KYoS).
Old 08-27-2019, 04:55 PM   #45
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
If you use the KYoS rule for computing ST scores, you should use +30 = x10. If you use the scaling of BL in Basic, it's acceptable to use +20 = x10, because x1000 mass (x10 hp) only gives x100 BL (+20 ST in KYoS).
Alright, I've been mulling this over a lot, and I hate to sound dense, but I'm not sure that I'm following.

ST 10 = BL 20 = 125 lb.
ST 100 = BL 2000 = 125000 lb.
Okay, that’s a neat pattern. ×10 ST = ×100 BL = ×1000 lb and ST = HP.
Or ×10^1 ST = ×10^2 BL = ×10^3 lb. I'm getting it, I think.
So, if +20 ST = ×100 BL = ×1000 lb, then…

+20 ST = +30 HP?

If so, that's a bit inconvenient to work with. How would/could I keep ST and HP bundled together? I suppose, instead of linearly, I could say each +1 ST gives +1.5 HP, but that's not terribly clean either.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #46
Anthony

Quote:
+20 ST = +30 HP?
If we define Mass as the amount of ST required to lift you as 1x BL, and we use the rules in Basic for computing ST, a 125 lb creature has Mass 18, linear HP 10, BL 20 (corresponding to KYoS ST 10), a 125,000 lb creature has Mass 48, linear HP 100, BL 2,000 (corresponding to KYoS ST 30) -- i.e. KYoS ST score = Mass * 2/3 - 2.

Using the original RT in CI, we can compute RT in two different ways:
  • RT = ST * 0.3 + 1 (ST 10 = 4, ST 30 = 10). Since +6 RT = x10 HP, +20 ST = x10 HP.
  • RT = Mass * 0.2 + 0.4 (Mass 18 = 4, Mass 48 = 10). Since +6 RT = x10 HP, +30 Mass = x10 HP.

Now, in KYoS, that 125,000 lb creature is assigned BL 20,000 and ST 40, and the computation for RT becomes ST * 0.2 + 2 (+30 ST = x10 HP).

Quote:
If so, that's a bit inconvenient to work with. How would/could I keep ST and HP bundled together? I suppose, instead of linearly, I could say each +1 ST gives +1.5 HP, but that's not terribly clean either.
It's not a problem to keep ST and RT bundled together. It just means you have to actually calculate the ST of objects, instead of directly looking up their weight. Or you can just have two formulas.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #47
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
If we define Mass as the amount of ST required to lift you as 1x BL, and we use the rules in Basic for computing ST, a 125 lb creature has Mass 18, linear HP 10, BL 20 (corresponding to KYoS ST 10), a 125,000 lb creature has Mass 48, linear HP 100, BL 2,000 (corresponding to KYoS ST 30) -- i.e. KYoS ST score = Mass * 2/3 - 2.

Using the original RT in CI, we can compute RT in two different ways:
  • RT = ST * 0.3 + 1 (ST 10 = 4, ST 30 = 10). Since +6 RT = x10 HP, +20 ST = x10 HP.
  • RT = Mass * 0.2 + 0.4 (Mass 18 = 4, Mass 48 = 10). Since +6 RT = x10 HP, +30 Mass = x10 HP.

Now, in KYoS, that 125,000 lb creature is assigned BL 20,000 and ST 40, and the computation for RT becomes ST * 0.2 + 2 (+30 ST = x10 HP).

It's not a problem to keep ST and RT bundled together. It just means you have to actually calculate the ST of objects, instead of directly looking up their weight. Or you can just have two formulas.
That underlined portion helps a lot.

Mass = ST required to lift oneself as BL × 1.
ST = Mass × 2/3 - 2.
RT = ST × 0.2 + 2.

Though, I'm confused about you saying that you're using Basic ST to compute ST for those examples. KYOS ST 18 has BL 126, and Basic ST 25 has BL 125.

But why is the 125,000 lb creature now assigned BL 20,000 instead of BL 2,000 like before? I thought the relationship would stay the same.

Keeping ST and RT bundled with that formula isn't too bad. Though, it works out to being RT being 10 points/level, which is a bit annoying like Basic Speed, which means that RT will break down to +0.2 RT [2/level] to keep it in line with the cost of HP.

I'm also fine with using two formulas. What would the second one—to convert from weight to RT—be? Of course, I see RT = (Mass × 2/3 + 2) × 2/3 - 2, though that still, of course, requires knowing Mass, which is fine.
Old 08-28-2019, 08:12 PM   #48
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

After 24 hours from my last post and about a week from the first post...

Ultimately, what I want is one unified system to use Knowing Your Own Strength (KYOS) from Pyramid #3/83: Alternate GURPS IV and Conditional Injury (CI) from Pyramid #3/120: Alternate GURPS V. Ideally, it would be realistic, easy-to-use, and directly work with KYOS and CI.

There has been a lot of great work so far, and I'm extremely grateful to each of the contributors. Still, the above goal has not been met. Throughout this thread, there are pieces of different systems that might work. Anthony’s Know Your Own Damage is very close, but it doesn’t satisfy the idea of directly working with KYOS and CI because there isn’t enough information on how the systems interact.

THE +30 = ×10 SYSTEM

This is what Anthony’s Know Your Own Damage is based on, and Anthony has listed the advantages of this system here. I’m fairly certain that RyanW is also working in this system, but I don’t want to claim that to be true when I’m not sure.

RyanW's System
  • RyanW’s original thread can be found here.
  • RT = (ST – 10) / 3 + 4.
  • WP = damage. Roll 1d6—on 1 or 2, give -1 WP; on 3 or 4, give +0 WP; on 5 or 6, give +1 WP. Swing is +1 WP.
  • BS ST-based weapon damage is halved and rounded away from 0.
  • When WP exceeds DR by 3 or less, the WP is reduced:
    • Exceeded by 1: Reduce by 3.
    • Exceeded by 2: Reduce by 2.
    • Exceeded by 3: Reduce by 1.
    • Exceeded by 4+: Not reduced.
    • Where multiple sources of DR apply, apply the reduction for each in turn and check the remaining against the next source of Protection (which might be cumbersome in games where layered armor is common).
  • Apply the rules from CI normally starting at Injury and Severity.
What I Don’t Know
  • How to calculate HP (from weight).
  • RyanW uses a “variant” of KYOS, but what exactly is it? What are the damage values?
  • Where RyanW’s system falls on the scale of realism.

THE +24 = ×10 SYSTEM

This assumes that BL in KYOS is converted to be +10 = ×12. It's a bit of extra work, but it could be done. Plus, dataweaver mentioned that it “gives you easy squares and cubes”, but the importance is beyond what I can safely guess. Anthony argues that it gives “nasty numbers”, and dataweaver argues that it's “less of a concern than you might think, since we're actually more interested in ranges of values than exact values”. Earlier in the thread, dataweaver detailed these values here.

THE +20 = ×10 SYSTEM

The +20 = ×10 system feels the best to me. It seems like it would take the least effort to get working directly with KYOS, especially because BL in KYOS is based off of +10 = ×10. KYOS also converts BS ST into KYOS strength this way since KYOS ST is based on 20 times the log of BS ST. dataweaver details a conversion from BS HP/damage to the +20 = ×10 system here. Going forward, there’s a bit of confusion.

dataweaver's +20 = ×10 System
  • HP is based on +20 = ×10 (the big difference from Anthony).
  • RT = HP + 10 or 20 × log(BS HP).
  • WP = damage + 10.
  • BS DR is converted the same way that BS HP is, so BS DR 1 → DR 0 and BS DR 10 → DR 20 (and BS DR 0 → DR -∞).
  • To apply DR, use WP – DR to find out by how much to reduce WP.
    • ≤0: no damage
    • 1: -21 WP
    • 2: -13 WP
    • 3: -10 WP
    • 4: -8 WP
    • 5: -7 WP
    • 6: -6 WP
    • 7: -5 WP
    • 8: -4 WP
    • 9–10: -3 WP
    • 11–13: -2 WP
    • 14–19: -1 WP
    • ≥20: -0 WP
  • For damage, roll 5d, add the highest three dice to WP, then subtract 14 from the result to get the final WP.
  • The Conditional Effect Table for CI is rescaled so that the Severity column is divided by 3 and multiplied by 10. So, ±6 becomes ±20, ±5 becomes ±16, ±4 becomes ±13, ±3 becomes ±10, ±2 becomes ±6, and ±1 becomes ±3. All of the Severity modifiers need to be rescaled in the same way—e.g., impaling damage goes from +2 to +6.
What I Don’t Know
  • How to calculate HP (from ST, from weight).
  • How to add or subtract ST-based weapon damage.

Anthony's +20 = ×10 System
  • HP is based on +30 = ×10 (the big difference from dataweaver).
  • RT = ST × 0.2 + 2.
  • ST = Mass × 2/3 – 2. However, if HP is based on Mass and damage is based on ST, the two values don’t align. To resolve this, add in weapon weight. Damage scales with ST + (weapon Mass/3).
  • Mass = (ST required to lift an object as 1 × BL).
  • RT = (Mass × 2/3 + 2) × 2/3 – 2.
  • 0.2 RT [2/level].
What I Don’t Know
  • How to add or subtract ST-based weapon damage. This seems to do with “Damage scales with ST + (weapon Mass/3)”.
  • How to calculate WP (from damage). This seems to do with “Damage scales with ST + (weapon Mass/3)”.
  • How to calculate DR.
  • How to apply DR.
  • How to rescale Severity and Severity modifiers.
  • In BS, a 125,000 lb creature is assigned BL 2,000. With KYOS, a 125,000 lb creature would be assigned BL 20,000. Why? Yes, KYOS gives ST = 10 × log(weight in lb/6). How realistic is each number?

A MESSY SOLUTION

Everything is calculated per BS except for ST, which is the default assumption of KYOS. However, for this, damage is reverted to how it was before for calculating reasonable WP.
  • ST 10 = BL 20 = 1d-2/1d damage = HP 10 = 125 lb.
  • ST 16 = BL 80 = 2d-1/3d+2 damage = HP 20 = 1000 lb.
  • ST 20 = BL 200 = 3d+1/6d-1 damage = HP 32 = 4096 lb.
  • All of this is input in CI as normal.
The only thing that doesn’t work is KYOS ST = 10 × log(weight in lb/6) with -4 for humans. That would give ST 9, ST 18, and ST 24, respectively. It just doesn’t seem to line up with BS HP = 2 × (weight in lb)^(1/3), assuming ST = HP, then converting BS ST to KYOS ST.

And it is messy. Almost everyone and everything will be buying extra HP, and damage will always have to be looked up from a table because the progression will be janky. Plus, this still relies on the very large HP and damage bands in CI.

Though, I must admit that I don’t like the damage progression in BS. So, alternatively, I use tbone’s New Damage for ST, which, yes, is 10 years old. If you don’t mind everything being a bit deadlier, use it as is with “medium” damage and “large” damage on the New Damage Table (or you can use it in conjunction with tbone’s Toughness, but that adds another layer). Otherwise, per tbone’s suggestion, you can use “small” damage and “medium” damage on the Expanded New Damage Table (and it’s suggested to give big weapons a damage boost). Personally, I think there’s a nice middle ground in using the New Damage Table and shifting the table to ST 7 is ST 10, so ST 10 is 1d-2/1d damage.

That leaves me with the following:
  • ST 16 = BL 80 = 2d/3d damage = HP 20 = 1000 lb.
  • ST 20 = BL 200 = 3d/5d-1 damage = HP 32 = 4096 lb.
Alternatively, you could throw out KYOS altogether and use tbone’s A Better Cost for ST and HP. Compared to KYOS, 300 points for tbone’s BS ST 100 (BL 2000, 10d/15d damage) is still more expensive than 200 points for KYOS ST 30 (BL 2000, 5d+2/6d damage), but it’s not horrible.
  • ST 20 = BL 80 = 2d/3d damage = HP 20 = 1000 lb.
  • ST 32 = BL 205 = 3d/5d-1 damage = HP 32 = 4096 lb.

Current Thoughts

It really is a toss-up between a few options right now.
  • Try to better understand Anthony's Know Your Own Damage.
  • Use CI and KYOS with tbone's New Damage for ST, which is a bit janky in buying up HP and weird damage progression after converting ST.
  • Use CI with tbone's New Damage for ST and tbone's A Better Cost for ST and HP, which requires the least number of mechanical changes. Tweak damage, alter ST/HP pricing (and maybe even DR pricing at that point), and use CI as written. Maybe I'm destined to never actually use KYOS...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquation! View Post
Re-Edit: Nope, neither. Not even close. After conversion from RAW Strength to KYOS Strength, damage itself remains approximately the same. My brain's a little melty.
Unfortunately, as you can see in the example right above, damage doesn't scale from BS ST to KYOS ST. You were right that BS ST 100 = KYOS ST 30, so swing 13d → swing 6d. Unless I'm also mistaken.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:25 PM   #49
RyanW

Quote:
RyanW's System
What I Don’t Know
  • How to calculate HP (from weight).
  • RyanW uses a “variant” of KYOS, but what exactly is it? What are the damage values?
  • Where RyanW’s system falls on the scale of realism.
The system in it's current state is ST 10 = BL 20, +3 ST = ×2 BL. It doesn't use conventional HP or damage at all. Instead, start at RT 4, WP 0, and you just have a range up or down you can buy based on ST, basically -1 to 0 for ST 9, -1 to 1 for ST 10, and 0 to +1 for ST 11 (+/-1 to all maxima/minima per +/-3 to ST). Note that ST is only 5/level, but you must buy into your allowable ranges separately at +/-10 points/level for each - this is ineligant, the point values are untested guesswork, and it's the part I'm least satisfied with, but I prefer keeping all cost progressions smooth per level, rather than something like "ST is 5 per level+20 per three levels". Swing gets +1 WP.

The main sticking point is damage adds. Sw+3, for example. If you leave it a simple add, it becomes a proportional add rather than flat add. An ogre wielding a great axe becomes utterly terrifying. As long as you are playing a game that sticks relatively close to human scale, you would probably get good results halving and rounding away from zero.

I think my system is what you are calling +20 = ×10, or at least started that way before decoupling from the RAW damage system.
Old 08-29-2019, 09:20 AM   #50
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
The system in it's current state is ST 10 = BL 20, +3 ST = ×2 BL. It doesn't use conventional HP or damage at all. Instead, start at RT 4, WP 0, and you just have a range up or down you can buy based on ST, basically -1 to 0 for ST 9, -1 to 1 for ST 10, and 0 to +1 for ST 11 (+/-1 to all maxima/minima per +/-3 to ST). Note that ST is only 5/level, but you must buy into your allowable ranges separately at +/-10 points/level for each - this is ineligant, the point values are untested guesswork, and it's the part I'm least satisfied with, but I prefer keeping all cost progressions smooth per level, rather than something like "ST is 5 per level+20 per three levels". Swing gets +1 WP.

The main sticking point is damage adds. Sw+3, for example. If you leave it a simple add, it becomes a proportional add rather than flat add. An ogre wielding a great axe becomes utterly terrifying. As long as you are playing a game that sticks relatively close to human scale, you would probably get good results halving and rounding away from zero.

I think my system is what you are calling +20 = ×10, or at least started that way before decoupling from the RAW damage system.
Okay, okay! I think I get it now. I was misunderstanding since I thought WP = damage, but that's not the case, and I totally missed that in your other post.

So, if I understand correctly, your system is this:
  • RT = (ST – 10) / 3 + 4.
  • WP = (ST – 10) / 3. Roll 1d6—on 1 or 2, give -1 WP; on 3 or 4, give +0 WP; on 5 or 6, give +1 WP.
  • Swing = +1 WP (or +3 ST).
  • BS ST-based weapon damage is divided by 2 and rounded away from 0, then applied to WP.
  • When WP exceeds DR by 3 or less, the WP is reduced:
    • Exceeded by 1: Reduce by 3.
    • Exceeded by 2: Reduce by 2.
    • Exceeded by 3: Reduce by 1.
    • Exceeded by 4+: Not reduced.
    • Where multiple sources of DR apply, apply the reduction for each in turn and check the remaining against the next source of Protection (which might be cumbersome in games where layered armor is common).
  • Severity = WP – RT.

It also seems fair to do this (i.e., multiply most things by 3):
  • RT = ST + 2.
  • WP = ST – 10. Roll 1d6–3, then apply result to WP.
  • Swing = +3 WP.
  • BS ST-based weapon damage is multiplied by 1.5 and rounded away from 0, then applied to WP.
  • When WP exceeds DR by 9 or less, the WP is reduced:
    • Exceeded by 3: Reduce by 9.
    • Exceeded by 6: Reduce by 6.
    • Exceeded by 9: Reduce by 3.
    • Exceeded by 12+: Reduce by 0.
  • Severity = (WP – RT) / 3.
This would make it easier to justify keeping ST [10/level] because the rounding doesn't happen until the very end (other than BS ST-based weapon damage).

You could probably add intermediate steps to DR (because it's a bit weird after multiplying by 3 and leaving as-is).
  • Exceeded by 0: Reduce by 12 (or negate all WP?).
  • Exceeded by 1: Reduce by 11.
  • Exceeded by 2: Reduce by 10.
  • Exceeded by 3: Reduce by 9.
  • Exceeded by 4: Reduce by 8.
  • Exceeded by 5: Reduce by 7.
  • Exceeded by 6: Reduce by 6.
  • etc.
Which is WP – DR – 12. If positive, subtract from WP. If negative, DR does not stop any WP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
Regarding armor, my thoughts were along these lines. Given that +1 Wound Potential is about +50% damage, that means that armor stops all of WP X allows through about 1/3 of X+1, 1/2 of X+2, 2/3 of X+3, and 4/5 of X+4. On this scale:

1/3 = -3
1/2 = -2
1/3 = -1
4/5 is between -1 and -0. As long as you're consistent, you could round it up or down.
This also seems like a great idea, but I don't think I quite understand it. Would you mind giving an example?

Tags
conditional injury, hit points, knowing your own strength, kyos, logarithm