Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #1
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Delvers to Grow: Quick Chargen for the DFRPG Starting at 62 points

Zero-to-Hero with the Dungeon Fantasy RPG

Even the mightiest delver started somewhere. An apprentice, a squire or man-at-arms, a backup singer with The Backstreet Bards.

Delvers to Grow allows you to take the part of those starting characters, supporting starting play as low as 62 points. Delvers to Grow provides pre-built modules and packages enabling a player to create a capable, playable character in minutes.

Get gaming. Fast.

Fully compatible with the professional template system in the Dungeon Fantasy RPG Adventurers book, Delvers to Grow lets you start much earlier in the hero’s journey, letting both players and GMs ease into the full breadth of capability that the professional delvers of the Dungeon Fantasy RPG bring to the table.

Explore different challenges or use the modules to effortlessly assemble henchmen...or create a starting character to replace the dearly departed.

Roll and Shout with Delvers to Grow

The Delvers to Grow project supports these goals:
  • Support play at point levels lower than the 250-point professional templates in the Dungeon Fantasy RPG boxed set for those who prefer lower tiers of play
  • Enable getting new players (and old ones!) to the table in minutes by helping minimize "decision lag" during character generation.

In the main book, Kevin Smyth (author of Nordlondr Folk and Hand of Asgard) does the heavy lifting for you, enabling character generation in only a handful of key decisions. Playtesting revealed the characters thus generated to be both eminently playable...and surprisingly robust!

That doesn't mean the fun of character generation and tweaking in Powered by GURPS books is lost...use Delvers to Grow to quickly get in the right ballpark for the chosen profession...and then tweak to taste!

The three 16-page example books detail how each of the 12 professions treated in the "Build-a-Björn" book grows from a 62-point novice to a 187-point master, with fully worked examples including loadouts, traits, and spells and abilities where appropriate.

Follow the Campaign on Kickstarter!

Click the link above to follow the campaign and be notified when it launches. Let's fund and crack some stretch goals on Day 1
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
DaosusLeghki

Default Re: Delvers to Grow: Quick Chargen for the DFRPG Starting at 62 points

I'd like to note that as patr(e?)on, I got a look at an early draft. I'm very excited about this book.
DaosusLeghki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:02 AM   #3
Kristoffer

Is the book aimed more to be a general book for DFRPG or rather a supplement for Nordland?
Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post
Is the book aimed more to be a general book for DFRPG or rather a supplement for Nordland?
The book has a nordlond flavor, because that's what I'm permitted to do. That being said, much like Hand of Asgard has a "flavor" of Nordlond, but there's nothing specific about the divine domains covered (you'll note they map suspiciously well to divine domains from That Other Game)...Delvers to Grow will easily cover other DFRPG settings.

Might you have to tweak things? Maybe a bit, especially where disadvantages and cultural assumptions come in. But there's nothing setting specific about Weapons Master, Extra Attack, or Sword-18.

Let me get the author to weigh in here as well!
Old 04-30-2021, 08:38 AM   #5
Harald387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer View Post
I would say that this - more than any of the work I've done for GB - is about as generic as it gets. "Character creation mechanics" don't really have a 'flavor', so it'll suit DFRPG (or GURPS DF for that matter) just fine.
GP: How can that be?
M2: I don't know man, I didn't do it.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Several of my Patreon members got an advanced copy and ran a "meatgrinder" scenario as a blind test, with neither the publisher or the author involved. One of them (so far) has posted a play report:

Delvers to Mow Down: The Meatgrinder
Old 05-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #7
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Several of my Patreon members got an advanced copy and ran a "meatgrinder" scenario as a blind test, with neither the publisher or the author involved. One of them (so far) has posted a play report:

Delvers to Mow Down: The Meatgrinder
OK, I am reminded of a 'motivational' speech from (IIRC) a French general in WWI: "Gentlemen, we attack tomorrow. The first wave will all be killed. Also the second, and the third. A few men from the fourth wave will reach the objective. The fifth wave will capture the position. Thank you, gentlemen."

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:10 PM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
OK, I am reminded of a 'motivational' speech from (IIRC) a French general in WWI: "Gentlemen, we attack tomorrow. The first wave will all be killed. Also the second, and the third. A few men from the fourth wave will reach the objective. The fifth wave will capture the position. Thank you, gentlemen."
Not wrong!
Old 05-04-2021, 06:12 PM   #9
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
That sort of sounds like Futurama.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #10
Not

Paths of Glory has speeches like that, but not quite so on-the-nose.