Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 03-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #11
ULFGARD

Default Re: Druid's Harpoon?

How about a wizard (druid / cleric / etc.) whip? I'm just imagining one of my players deciding that his wizard should be named Indiana Jones, buying a wand with an aiming handle charged with some spell, and going on adventures to uncover lost treasure -- to sell to his wizard's guild ("It belongs in a museum!").
Old 03-02-2020, 10:31 AM   #12
Anders

If you're familiar with GURPS, you can buy DF:4 Sages where there's a "Scholar" explicitly listing Whip as one of their weapon options.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:59 PM   #13
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULFGARD View Post
How about a wizard (druid / cleric / etc.) whip? I'm just imagining one of my players deciding that his wizard should be named Indiana Jones, buying a wand with an aiming handle charged with some spell, and going on adventures to uncover lost treasure -- to sell to his wizard's guild ("It belongs in a museum!").
I like that vision of an Indiana (Caithness?) Jones, slinging a wand and enchanted whip.

Thematically, a whip also sounds right for some brands of cleric, what with all the punishment and scourging and flagellation. For druids, lariat retains a nice feel, as it's a (mostly) friendly way to wrangle animals when necessary.

That said, clerics and druids in the game are still likely to favor staffs, I think. In GURPS/DFRPG, it's just a wonderfully effective weapon. (A caster with very low skill couldn't cast through one, as she'd need both hands free for gestures – but skill-wise, DFRPG-level casters are way beyond that worry.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
druid, harpoon, magic staff, noršlond