Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2011, 11:37 PM   #1
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Removable Eye

One of your eyes can be removed from its socket, while removed it still transmits what it sees to your brain up to some distance, and while it's removed you have the One Eye disadvantage. How much is this worth as an advantage? How would you build it?

PS. We see an example of this in later seasons of Babylon 5
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:34 AM   #2
downer

Default Re: Removable Eye

Sounds like a heavily modified form of Clairsentient to me. Adjust the range for the transmitter, add Visible, Clairvoyance, Breakable and a hefty accessibility "Only when eye is physically present" modifier. 60% sounds reasonable, since that is about how bad accessibility gets in the example. Oh, and Temporary Disadvantage (One Eye). Should drive the costs way down, something like -65% even if the range were 100 yards.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:41 AM   #3
Walrus

Clairsentience (Accessibility: only in removed eye -20%, HT-roll+0% (or Cosmic: No Die Roll Required +100% or at least some Reliable), Clairvoyance -10%, Visible -10%, Reduced Range 3 -30%, Temporary Disadvantage: One Eye -15%) [10]

You can add additional flavor features but cost wouldn't be less.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:37 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

For Garrett? Signature Gear [1].

Alternately, it's a very cheap Ally + Mind Reading (Sensory:Vision Only, Ally Only) + optionally Mind Link. You could probably claim that the Ally is actually a Perk (as per PU2).
Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'd likely build it as a two-parter:
1. One Eye with a Mitigator limitation, since that's what any prosthetic body part that actually works is.

2. Your choice of:
(a) Clairsentience with Clairvoyance, -10%, Visible, -10%, and suitable gadget limitations – definitely Breakable, -20%, but I'd keep Can Be Stolen down to the "Must be forcefully removed, won't immediately work for thief" level, for -5%. Add Anchored, -60% (borrowed from Warp) if it can't roll around and go places; Aware, +50% if you can walk around and function while the eye is out of your head; and Increased Range if it can transmit over great distances. This package is what the lovely Eden had in the dreadful Doomsday.

(b) An Ally bought as a familiar with the Telepathic lens on p. 21 of GURPS DF 5: Allies. This suits Gorgons and creepy necromancers.
For 2(a), note carefully that the net effect is that you have to take a minute to use the ability and have to physically go set it up somewhere. Anchored means Clairvoyance isn't able to look away from the physical eye while it's in your head. And in both cases, Mitigator means that while you're using the eye, you have One Eye.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 PM   #6
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Thank you for the suggestions.

If the eye is an undestroyable magic item (though it can be stolen -5% as Kromm suggested), could it still function as a mitigator?

DF5 has been on my wish list for a while now; this seems as good a reason as any to buy it.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:28 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
I'd likely build it as a two-parter:
1. One Eye with a Mitigator limitation, since that's what any prosthetic body part that actually works is.

2. Your choice of:
(a) Clairsentience with Clairvoyance, -10%, Visible, -10%, and suitable gadget limitations – definitely Breakable, -20%, but I'd keep Can Be Stolen down to the "Must be forcefully removed, won't immediately work for thief" level, for -5%. Add Anchored, -60% (borrowed from Warp) if it can't roll around and go places; Aware, +50% if you can walk around and function while the eye is out of your head; and Increased Range if it can transmit over great distances. This package is what the lovely Eden had in the dreadful Doomsday.

For 2(a), note carefully that the net effect is that you have to take a minute to use the ability and have to physically go set it up somewhere. Anchored means Clairvoyance isn't able to look away from the physical eye while it's in your head. And in both cases, Mitigator means that while you're using the eye, you have One Eye.
Nice build... and now I know more than I wanted to about Doomsday *rolleyes grin*

"I saw this eye! So I remove the other eye, that eye that kept winking and blinking at other men!"
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post

Nice build... and now I know more than I wanted to about Doomsday *rolleyes grin*
The important bit is "Rhona Mitra wandering about in a tank top. With guns." The rest is bleah.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote