Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
trooper6

Default Missing Leg and Prone

So...I know a lot of people have asked, but I've yet to see an official answer.

If I cripple someone's limb. They are crippled (gaining the Lame: Missing Limb disad) and they fall down. If that person then decides to attack someone with their melee weapon, what are their penalties?

-4 to Attack for being prone?
-6 to Attack for having the Lame: Missing Limb disad?
-10 for both?

-4 seems not right. Then people with missing limbs just need to throw themselves to the ground in or order to be better in combat.
-10 seems too harsh.

My instinct would be to use the harshest penalty (in the case of a legless person, the -6, but in case of a person who only has a limp then the -4 for being prone).

Any official word?
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Missing Leg and Prone

Punching or shooting people doesn't require the use of your legs. So the problem is that without a peg leg, you can't stand. So the prone modifier applies.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Punching or shooting people doesn't require the use of your legs. So the problem is that without a peg leg, you can't stand. So the prone modifier applies.
Well, according to GURPS, shooting doesn't require the use of legs...so it isn't penalized by having Lame, but Punching someone does require the use of legs...hence why the basic set specifies that melee combat skills are penalized by having leg troubles: B141, "You are at -3 to use any skill that requires the use of your legs, including all Melee Weapon and unarmed combat skills (but not ranged combat skills.)"
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
SuedodeuS

The -6 is probably for trying to balance on one leg. I see no reason why a one-legged individual would have more difficulty attacking from prone than someone with two legs. Yes, this means the character can fight more effectively on the ground than standing up. I don't see a problem with that, honestly. In fact, I would expect someone with one leg to buy up Ground Fighting if he or she sees combat regularly.

Tags
missing leg, missing legs