Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
noctrine

Default Sprinting while flying...magically

The spell Flight (M145) says you get to fly at Move 10 (without wings). This is more or less like the unmodified Flight advantage (B56).

It makes sense to me that you could sprint (B354) if you were a winged (or muscle-powered) flier, but is there any precedent for sprinting with magical flight?

I know we can make a house rule one way or the other but I was curious if anyone else has come across this or if there is some sort of official ruling.

Thanks as always!
noctrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Sprinting while flying...magically

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctrine View Post
The spell Flight (M145) says you get to fly at Move 10 (without wings). This is more or less like the unmodified Flight advantage (B56).

It makes sense to me that you could sprint (B354) if you were a winged (or muscle-powered) flier, but is there any precedent for sprinting with magical flight?

I know we can make a house rule one way or the other but I was curious if anyone else has come across this or if there is some sort of official ruling.

Thanks as always!
I've allowed this in my games before, with the FP required coming out of either your FP or ER (Magic) reserve.

I don't know of a offical ruling, though it does make sense to me.

Jus Sayin'

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #3
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by noctrine View Post

Thanks as always!
I don't think so. Spells are kind of fixed unless you are playing with Adjustable Magic or use perks. So I think the ability to sprint with your magical flight would call for a perk.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #4
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

It would be much clearer if spells had Powers-like writeups. But as it stands, I would easily allow Mana-sprinting like that. It's not a big deal.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM   #5
Bruno

I've houseruled Flight for my game, so that it gives the subject the Flight advantage - therefore he gets an Air Move of 2xSpeed instead of a fixed 10, can sprint, and etc, all as if he had the advantage.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #6
Danukian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I've houseruled Flight for my game, so that it gives the subject the Flight advantage - therefore he gets an Air Move of 2xSpeed instead of a fixed 10, can sprint, and etc, all as if he had the advantage.
I kinda dislike this rule because it highly favors young fit wizards over The Wise Old Master.

Maybe 2/3rds of Modified Spell+1; worked out in Power levels per FP spent, or something along those lines, but still allowing for Sprint.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
I don't think so. Spells are kind of fixed unless you are playing with Adjustable Magic or use perks. So I think the ability to sprint with your magical flight would call for a perk.
Yeah. Shapeshifting to an appropriate bird would be the normal choice for a mage that wanted to get a little more speed from their effort.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote