Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #41
PK

Default Re: GURPS Monster Hunters: what will you do with it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
I imagine they're calibrated to be at least moderately resistant to fire from modern automatic and anti-tank weapons. [...] Relative to even a moderately experienced DF character, that's a lot of hurt.
*touches finger to nose and nods at Matt*

In DF, for example, a peshkali is a significant threat -- one that will likely require multiple 250-point delvers working together to take down. But transport that peshkali to TL8, and a 50-point gunman is literally capable of taking it down within 2-3 seconds. So you have to compensate for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
I plan to see how close it gets to a 4e at-full-cry Black Ops
Black Ops was a huge inspiration for this series, obviously. I want to make it clear that I'm a big fan of the original book and its authors, before saying this: I'd like to think that Monster Hunters steals everything that made Black Ops awesome, while leaving behind the stuff that held it back -- like the 700-point templates with nearly 100 skills apiece, the implicit agreement with The Company's willingness to ruin lives and "erase" witnesses, etc.

The biggest thing I took away from Black Ops was the idea that you can have these PCs who are serious badasses -- cinematic to the nines, powerful as hell, etc. -- but who have to still fight like crazy to survive, because the foes they're facing are just that dangerous. I think that's an important take on things, both to maintain tension, but also to make it clear why it's the PCs who have to fight these monsters -- because normal folk simply cannot do it. So it takes any possibility of, "Screw this. Let's just tell the police about it and let them deal with it," completely out of the equation. If the cops, National Guard, etc., try to deal with this menace, they're just going to die -- this falls squarely on your shoulders, so stop whining, cowboy up, and go kick some evil tail!

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:31 PM   #42
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
I'd like to think that Monster Hunters steals everything that made Black Ops awesome, while leaving behind the stuff that held it back -- like the 700-point templates with nearly 100 skills apiece, the implicit agreement with The Company's willingness to ruin lives and "erase" witnesses, etc.
I'm glad you left out the more dystopic elements of black ops. Care to give any hints as to what point values the templates are, or at least a ballpark?

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 PM   #43
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Pee Kitty View Post
Black Ops was a huge inspiration for this series, obviously. I want to make it clear that I'm a big fan of the original book and its authors, before saying this: I'd like to think that Monster Hunters steals everything that made Black Ops awesome, while leaving behind the stuff that held it back -- like the 700-point templates with nearly 100 skills apiece, the implicit agreement with The Company's willingness to ruin lives and "erase" witnesses, etc.

The biggest thing I took away from Black Ops was the idea that you can have these PCs who are serious badasses -- cinematic to the nines, powerful as hell, etc. -- but who have to still fight like crazy to survive, because the foes they're facing are just that dangerous. I think that's an important take on things, both to maintain tension, but also to make it clear why it's the PCs who have to fight these monsters -- because normal folk simply cannot do it. So it takes any possibility of, "Screw this. Let's just tell the police about it and let them deal with it," completely out of the equation. If the cops, National Guard, etc., try to deal with this menace, they're just going to die -- this falls squarely on your shoulders, so stop whining, cowboy up, and go kick some evil tail!
The biggest thing I liked about Black Ops was that the PCs were (conceptually) literally the best that humanity could be - not by accident, but by the hardest of hard work on top of natural gift. As long as the templates in MH convey that "Ultimate Pro From Dover" tone, I'm good. :)

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #44
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
The biggest thing I liked about Black Ops was that the PCs were (conceptually) literally the best that humanity could be - not by accident, but by the hardest of hard work on top of natural gift. As long as the templates in MH convey that "Ultimate Pro From Dover" tone, I'm good. :)
I personally prefer that relatively ordinary people with enough preparation and luck can take down some of the lower powered monsters. While I like my psychic gun-fu spec ops as much as the next guy, I'd also like for there to be enough wiggle room for me to run some "up and coming" style games.

Much like you can scale up or down the DF templates to whatever power level you prefer. I like having that option.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:21 AM   #45
Randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
I personally prefer that relatively ordinary people with enough preparation and luck can take down some of the lower powered monsters. While I like my psychic gun-fu spec ops as much as the next guy, I'd also like for there to be enough wiggle room for me to run some "up and coming" style games.

Much like you can scale up or down the DF templates to whatever power level you prefer. I like having that option.
Options are good. What I dislike (to put it mildly) is arguments over the "intended default", as if any options therefrom are automatically inferior. Double if the word "munchkin"* gets invoked.

*I am of the opinion that there are a lot fewer "munchkins" and a lot more "severely limited GMs" than is usually admitted to. </tangent>

"(GURPS) isn't a game but a toolkit for building games, and the GM needs to use it intelligently" - Kromm
Randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:33 PM   #46
Stone Dog

ISWAT Monster Hunters: Reign of Fire!
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 AM   #47
SimonAce

If the Monster Hunters templates are strictly designed around Heroes Only than they are going to require a lot of work to be useful or of much interest to me.

These days its all about "well ordinary silver bullets are easy to get therefore we need blessed inherited meteoric silver forged in the blood of a dead god and because guns are common obviously it is is invisible, has missile shielding and oh is faster than a blur and shoot katanas"

Bah... if calling the police or SWAT is not an occasional option than its too cinematic

Ah well, I'll have Horror for my needs
SimonAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:45 AM   #48
The Cardinal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Dog View Post
ISWAT Monster Hunters: Reign of Fire!
:D I'm flattered :D
- maybe I should consider doing an e23 GURPS4e "reload" of this old baby...
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #49
RyanW

BPRD, meet Torchwood. Torchwood, BPRD.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #50
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanW View Post
BPRD, meet Torchwood. Torchwood, BPRD.
Got this image of Red getting @#$%^ because Jack Harkness just will not die.

Tags
monster hunters