Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 10-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #1
Anders

Default Would catnip affect catfolk?

What effect would catnip have on catfolk? I realize this is setting dependent, but what do you think?
Old 10-11-2020, 08:39 AM   #2
David Johansen

Default Re: Would catnip affect catfolk?

Puss In Boots: That's not mine!
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:51 AM   #3
clu2415

Sounds good to me. Valerian root works as well.
clu2415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Sure. It affects a wide range of cats, so makes sense for it to have an effect on catfolk as well.

That said, it'd be a color thing, not something that could be weaponized. That is, a bunch of adventurers couldn't just throw a handful of catnip at catfolk opponents to neutralize them, any more than they could render opponents intoxicated by dumping a barrel of brandy on them.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 09:28 AM   #5
Anders

Catfolk would buy catnip in town instead of beer (well, if the water quality is anything like in a real medieval city they may want beer as well). hmm...

Catnip: Produces slight euphoria in cats and catfolk. Treat as Tipsy (p. E65). Gives a -3 to all rolls to resist seduction. $1, 0.1 lb.
Old 10-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
Polkageist

The catfolk equivalent of a beer or some weed.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:30 AM   #7
Bruno

The effect of catnip seems to last a maximum of 30 minutes (often less) and after which the cat is "immune" for a period of time. Susceptibility to catnip is age dependent - it usually kicks in around 6 months, but it can come in earlier - and a full 40% of cats just don't care. That said, a proportion of the cats who like catnip get a lesser effect from mint plants.

There's an alternative to catnip, silvervine, which is presented as dried twigs or ground into sawdust/cinnamon-bark like dust. It seems that more cats react to silvervine, but whether they do or not is unrelated to whether they react to catnip. IE you can have a cat who reacts to one, the other, both, or neither. The effect is pretty much like catnip, however.

A combination of the two would be a more popular product because it's more reliable to work. It has a short duration and no apparent lingering effects, so I'd expect it to be a very popular form of entertainment. It's also cheap, and I wouldn't be surprised to find lots of catfolk growing one or the other themselves.

Also, you'd end up with catfolk in your garden, rolling in your mint plants. Which if they've gone out of control, like my mint plants did, might be a mercy.

Cats on catnip
* grind their faces into it, rubbing their facial scent glands all over it. Catfolk have hands, and would probably grab handfuls to rub all over their faces.
* roll around on the ground in it, and in general. The rolling is very like a female cat in heat, although it affects both genders. Catfolk might roll around, or instead dance around and flirt?
* chew on it. Catfolk would be the same
* get excited but uncoordinated and impulsive. I mean, even more impulsive than usual for cats.
* Some seem to instead "bliss out", but it's usually a highly stimulating effect.

I'd compare it more to a very weak and short duration party drug like ecstasy, than alcohol and pot. There doesn't seem to be any hallucinogenic effects (... hard to tell since you can't ask them, but that's the guess right now) - instead it's very similar to a cat sexual pheromone, but really powerful. So it triggers the same kind of playful, goofy, flirty behavior regardless of the sex of the cat and whether they're neutered, then they get overstimulated and stop responding for a while. Compare two hormone crazed teenagers who aren't at the groping/kissing stage - they can be very playful and silly, or very cuddly and snugly. And silly.

Last edited by Bruno; 10-16-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

The important part being that it wouldn't be a "weapon" under normal circumstances, unless the subject were specifically addicted and the target of a hostile social interaction. Cats aren't defined in the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game, so we have to turn to GURPS, where they have IQ 4, Hidebound, and possibly Bestial . . . meaning they're not bright enough or socialized enough to care, and tend to do things on instinct. Cat-Folk are sapient, IQ 10 beings with none of those problems.

Catnip might have an effect if ingested. It's more interesting if each species has different vices, and this one seems to fit! Just remember that willingly using catnip would be like willingly using any drug, while merely having it around wouldn't do anything special – as noted earlier, it would literally be like sitting a cask of liquor in front of someone.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #9
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Catnip might have an effect if ingested. It's more interesting if each species has different vices, and this one seems to fit! Just remember that willingly using catnip would be like willingly using any drug, while merely having it around wouldn't do anything special – as noted earlier, it would literally be like sitting a cask of liquor in front of someone.
I imagine them getting a bowl of hot water, sprinkling the catnip in it and then inhaling the fumes.

Last edited by Anders; 10-17-2020 at 04:21 AM.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 03:31 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Just remember that willingly using catnip would be like willingly using any drug, while merely having it around wouldn't do anything special – as noted earlier, it would literally be like sitting a cask of liquor in front of someone.
There are a fair number of drugs that can be used offensively, but you'd probably have to hire an alchemist to spend a bunch of time producing an aerosol infusion and then it's likely not the most effective of drugs even then.

Tags
catfolk, catnip