Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 04-12-2022, 01:54 PM   #11
43Supporter

Default Re: Road Trains, Max Loads and other such semi nonsense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
I'm curious, though...are there also rules for pup trailers and oversized loads out there?
I had to look up "pup trailer" -- there's Dumper options for 10-wheelers and trailers. Oversized loads would be a product of counter size, on which point the rules are Not Specific.

The "tandem steering axle" falls under "full trailer" rules, I think.

Something I've seen in Reality, which I've been trying to adapt to OG CW: Tractor pulling 3 20' trailers, instead of one 53'.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #12
Spencer

Default Re: Road Trains, Max Loads and other such semi nonsense

The shorter trailers you've mentioned are called "pup trailers" or "dog trailers". They're a fairly common item for less-than-load (LTL), package shipping, and construction companies. Fed-Ex and UPS both use these because the load can be split by trailer, with a double pup rig dropping both trailers so that the trailers can be hitched to day-cab tractors individually for local distribution. Aggregate haulers use dump trucks with dumping pup trailers to haul double loads of crushed rock, gravel and sand to ready-mix companies, saving money on hauling by using one dump truck to move 2 loads of aggregate.
In the US doubles are restricted to the double pup I just mentioned, by and large. There are some areas which allow a B Double (tractor, pup trailer, full trailer, aka Rocky Mountain Double) and some which allow an A Double (tractor, 2 full trailers, aka a Turnpike Double). Europe also has several double and triple trailer schemes, but Australia has the very biggest and best for long-haul trucking in the Outback: the Road Train, which in some areas can even be an A Quad (tractor, 4 full trailers). The advantage to these rigs is, like with the aggregate dump rig, lower fuel costs in relatively low-traffic areas. The biggest disadvantage is, of course, that an obstacle in the right place can cause a wreck which totally destroys the rig and its cargo.
The purpose for this research is to create a scenario where the Brotherhood has to deliver a convoy of critically needed supplies through an area haunted by road bandits. I wanted to present the possibility that the Brotherhood players could use doubles and triples to haul the cargo with some degree of firepower and still have access to scout vehicles ahead and behind, perhaps even a helicopter to spot danger before the convoy gets there. Likewise, if the players choose to be the road bandits, I want to be able to throw them a curve ball by having the main rig in the convoy be an A Double with a dedicated combat trailer in the rear of the rig.
But I digress. I have seen B triples before, but they're uncommon where I live now. Part of the purpose in starting this thread was to get some rules set for this if none existed, and to include such items as drawbar hitches and fifth wheel dollies too for the sake of realism. Maybe it might be useful to other players, too.
"Bob knew that he was in trouble the instant that he lined up the sidecar rig in his sights and heard a 'click' when he pulled the trigger. Based on the sized of the dust cloud following that sidecar rig, it was big trouble, too."
Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote