Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 12-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #131
oscar1-1

Default Re: Silly Cars

Hi y'all, just coming back to the Dreg gangs running round with previously damaged equipment installed before combat.
I'm pretty sure there was a CWIN(?) article regarding dice rolls for performance after damage, could anyone direct me to it?

I'm after making some "economical" designs, but not too inefficient

Thanks in advance
oscar1-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 02:47 AM   #132
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Supporter View Post
I don't recall that one; but it does sound like something Mike Garrity would have come up with. Of course, this is the same guy who used Uncle Schmal and _CW Tanks_ to build an OGRE Mk. V....

(He also never could figure out why I continually handed him his head with designs costing 1/5 as much. >:) )

For semi-trailers: I like the _Hellfire_|_Brimstone_ designs, with the turret guns (if any) altered (Inc. VMGs; HESH|HEAT RRs; etc.). That kind of armor means the gangs better be packing HESH and HEAT, or they ain't ever gettin' through. (Tractors, I use my _Nashorn_ series -- RRs F; no turrets; flank attacks are handled by the trailer.)
Found the HXL Trailer in my collection of printed off sheets : Goliath XR . It's DKI/New Omaha's answer to Amex Combat Autoworks Affliction ( the Trailer with 34 Gauss Guns ) . Goliath has 10 HXLs in Linked pairs RF , LF , RB , LB & B and two XLs in Turrets . All Pulse ( legal according to UACFH - think Compendium is incorrect in saying X-Rays can't be Pulse ? )
Has 12 Laser Batteries & comes in at $512,690 . The upgradedAffliction costs $625,550 - original had two less Gauss Guns & was cheaper .

Glad I found it - looks like it was removed from the NOVA registry ... I wonder why ...

Last edited by Racer; 05-26-2022 at 04:15 PM.
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #133
ckosacranoid

That's is a lot of gauss rifles for sure...what if the power out put for needed power to fire that beast?
ckosacranoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:41 PM   #134
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckosacranoid View Post
That's is a lot of gauss rifles for sure...what if the power out put for needed power to fire that beast?
0, or 17, depending on which rules iteration of GG.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 11:56 AM   #135
swordtart

170 PU for GG 340 shots.

2 Laser Batteries are $1000, 200lb and 2 spaces and 2DP for 200 PU.

A Small Cycle plant with 3 extra power cells.
$875, 175lb, 2 Space, 3DP and 187 PU. Far more efficient.

For the 12 laser batteries
$6000, 1200lb, 12 spaces, 12 DP and 1200 PU

A Small Cycle plant with 21 extra power cells.
$3125, 625lb, 4 Space, 5DP and 1437 PU. Far more efficient.

For the same money, weight and half the spaces of the batteries you can add 44 extra cells and get 4112 PU's. You could charge on a Sunday and shoot all week.

Probably other tunes you can play but having all the DPs in a single unit may be a benefit or disadvantage depending on how your game turns out. On the one hand it is a single target on the other until you lose the last DP there is no effect on it's power output, vs loosing a bunch of PUs each time a battery gets taken out.

But this creates scope for a Silly Cycle (dragging it back on topic).

Long Range Runner
Hvy Cycle; Light suspension;
Small Cycle PP w/26 Extra Cells;
2 Standard tires.
Driver.
Cost: $4,600, Wgt: 1,280,
HC: 0, Top Speed: 95, Accel: 5.

It can't take a single hit, it has no weapons or armour and it handles like a drunken pig on an ice rink, but with 2800 PUs if you can find a nice safe road you can cruise at 55 and get 3869 miles between charges.

At cruising speed that is over 70 hours in the saddle, so better hope it is a comfy one.

I am not convinced the calculation is good at the extremes as I make it that at 5mph you can eke out 42,500 miles (which seems too high).

Last edited by swordtart; 05-26-2022 at 12:14 PM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2022, 04:10 PM   #136
Racer

Despite what Builder on Combat Garage does , EACH Extra Power Cell takes up at least one Space : +10% Round Up .

A bit inconvenient for Cycle Power Plants , but stops a Heavy Trike having 16 Extra Power Cells ...

Rules need clarification & updating - I can go for Two EPCs per Space on Cycle Plants & similar on Small & Medium Car Plants . Large PPs with more than one EPCs per Space is likely to unbalance things quickly .

We've always played '1 EPC - 1 Space' . I'd like to see External Power Cells being available - many long range European Touring Coaches see in and around London have extra electrical storage packs located on the rear . For electronics & onboard TVs (& galley ?) .
These are large - about six feet wide , seven feet+ high & about a foot in depth . They look heavy . Okay it precludes any Back mounted weaponry , but a useful option - particularly if Ejectable ...
Old 05-27-2022, 01:19 AM   #137
swordtart

Got a citation for that Racer.

CVWD rounds all extra cells together, if Combat Garage does as well then it indicates there is an alternative interpretation.

Compare rocket boosters "1 space per 100lb or fraction thereof" could also be interpreted this way, but we later get "The rocket could be divided up into a number of separate rockets which could be fired separately so that all the acceleration does not have to occur at once". I take that to mean 5 x 20lb rockets is still only 100lb of rockets and 1 space, not 5 20lb rockets taking 1 space each.

% space increases became complicated once fractional space components became a thing. Originally it was a mathematical convenience, but that ship sailed when we had mini-rockets, sloping and streamlining combinations etc.

Of course if you don't have anything that you can usefully put in that 0.9 of a space then rounding is irrelevant.

Since gaining extra range has marginal benefit in the vast majority of games, I am disinclined to say that to increase the range of a 1 space cycle plant by 50% you need to fit something the same size as the plant unless someone can show a good argument to the contrary.
Old 05-27-2022, 09:36 AM   #138
swordtart

Sadly I can only find a single example of a published design using extra power cells. As this only has a single set either interpretation would yield the same result.

There is no point going back to the original introduction of the item (which sometimes contains additional clues as the the intent). Way back in 2039 all powerplants had 200 PUs and you could only fit a single set of extra cells to get you to 300.

Does anyone recall a published design anywhere with multiple sets of power cells?
Old 05-29-2022, 03:06 PM   #139
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
Sadly I can only find a single example of a published design using extra power cells. As this only has a single set either interpretation would yield the same result.

There is no point going back to the original introduction of the item (which sometimes contains additional clues as the the intent). Way back in 2039 all powerplants had 200 PUs and you could only fit a single set of extra cells to get you to 300.

Does anyone recall a published design anywhere with multiple sets of power cells?
The Haig Tank in Car Wars Tanks and BB17B from Areoduel off top of my head ?

Not being Cars or Oversized Vehicles it might not help much ...
Old 05-30-2022, 08:00 AM   #140
swordtart

They both use the 50 PU per space of engine like the majority of other vehicles other than cycles so they should be directly comparable.

Unfortunately the only use a single set each so either interpretation would generate the same result.

We need a published vehicle with multiple sets of cells, but I suspect that this is unlikely given how little emphasis is placed on vehicle range in CW. One of the few vehicles that actually had range as primary driver for the design was the Double Charge and it resolved the problem by having two power plants (but to be fair this was before extra power cells were brought out)