Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #1
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Arm Lock from a Grapple and Defense [Martial Arts]

Judo says I'm allowed to put my foe in arm lock the turn after I've grappled him, and that he can use any defense. Is that any defense at -2 for parry or block and -1 for dodge because I've grappled him?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: Arm Lock from a Grapple and Defense [Martial Arts]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Judo says I'm allowed to put my foe in arm lock the turn after I've grappled him, and that he can use any defense. Is that any defense at -2 for parry or block and -1 for dodge because I've grappled him?
Definitely, in my opinion!
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

And his torso remains grappled? I don't loose inflicting a -4 penalty on him? or does the grapple shift to the arm?

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
And his torso remains grappled? I don't loose inflicting a -4 penalty on him? or does the grapple shift to the arm?
I’d say that a two handed grapple shifts to the arms, but a one handed armlock, which might represent wrapping one arm around the elbow to do an arm bar or shoulder lock would still leave the other arm available To keep grabbing the torso.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #5
Plane

If someone kicks you from an adjacent hex (reach 1) and you use Grabbing Parry to grapple their foot, presumably you need to take a Step into range C (same hex) to use your free hand to establish the arm lock on either arm?

I know you can already use Arm Lock on the turn immediately after a successful parry, but this would be an issue if you didn't immediately want to apply an Arm Lock (do something else) but maintained the grapple until you chose to.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:14 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
If someone kicks you from an adjacent hex (reach 1) and you use Grabbing Parry to grapple their foot, presumably you need to take a Step into range C (same hex) to use your free hand to establish the arm lock on either arm?
Yes. Though most folks might just manipulate the leg/foot, which you can do from Reach 1 unless/until they hop closer. Many techniques I've learned actually involve purposefully stepping backwards to induce a takedown, or first performing a joint lock on the ankle, rotating the foe over to face down, and then doing a takedown and leg grapple/pain compliance technique. It's one of the more effective "oh, I see your kicking style has never been countered with leg grapples!" instant punishments I've seen.

Quote:
I know you can already use Arm Lock on the turn immediately after a successful parry, but this would be an issue if you didn't immediately want to apply an Arm Lock (do something else) but maintained the grapple until you chose to.
You can certainly maintain the foot grapple at Reach 1, as noted, and it's up to the foe to close in most cases. If you want to grapple something else, you'll need to step in to C.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #7
Plane

Building on the "hop closer" if you wanted to pull your foot back into your own hex instead of leaving it your enemy's hex, would that use "Shoving People Around" since grapples are mutual, but the person holding the foot could opt to let go for free if he doesn't want to get pulled closer?
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Building on the "hop closer" if you wanted to pull your foot back into your own hex instead of leaving it your enemy's hex, would that use "Shoving People Around" since grapples are mutual, but the person holding the foot could opt to let go for free if he doesn't want to get pulled closer?
Heh. Yeah. Trying to drag the person closer by pulling on the grapple should be legit. We're rapidly approaching Rule Zero territory. I'd let you try and hop closer at a -2 (just like an unbalancing kick) in addition to any penalties caused by the grapple. You make the DX roll, and you move close as a "step" part of any other maneuver.

Tags
arm lock