Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2005, 09:18 PM   #11
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Infinite Worlds Timeline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Coastie

Regardless of who was in the White House, I think that the attacks of September 11 2001 would still have likely occured even on Homeline -- the discovery of alternate timelines would not have ended the specter of terrorism. Whether or not this would have ultimately resulted in an invasion of Iraq is a matter of personal belief, but a few thoughts do come to mind:

1) Saddam Hussain was actively interested in acquiring WMDs (nuclear or otherwise). It was well-known that he would have used them if he possessed them.

3) Saddam Hussain had no reason to turn Osama bin Laden over to the Americans even in our own world. On Homeline, he would have been able to sneer at the threats of economic sanctions...and could very possibly have backed the sneering up with threats to use WMDs that he could very well have had.
Just curiouis: How exactly was Hussein going to be able to 'turn over' Bin Laden? Osama wasn't in Iraq, had no credibly reported connection to the secular government of Iraq (indeed he had a strong animosity towards it by all accounts). The best estimates of his location since 9/11 has been remote spots in Afghanistan or Pakistan.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:25 PM   #12
Pesterfield

bin Laden was in Afghanistan, and had nothing to do with Iraq. Going after Saddam was entirely out of left field.

Infinity controls the technology and charges high license fees, so many poor countries won't have access. On the other hand they can be reverse engineered and some countries do operate off the book conveyors.

Another problem is cargo capacity, a country can be self sufficient but it will take a lot of conveyors and a lot of trips.
Pesterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:34 PM   #13
Fabricati

In response to that, there is a case to be made that the general prosperity of Homeline will have decreased the desire to commit terrorism (or shifted it outtime, as is common with so many other instances of crime). After all, when you're eating well, most people have no problems with things the way they are.

Would there have been a terrorist attack in Homeline US? Possibly.

Would it have been 9/11/2001? Probably not. Remember that parachronics just completely screws Homeline's recent history. It's much more likely that someone would have a grudge against Inifinity rather than the US, in which case the target is Chicago.

... Which might actually be a real cool impetus for ISWAT...
Fabricati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 09:59 PM   #14
AOTA

I can't find it right now but I thought I read somewhere in the Infinite Worlds book that the Homeline had stopped a possible terrorist threat on 9/11/2001. It was a short bit of text and I thought it was fairly early in the book.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
AOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:43 PM   #15
WineShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarkstomper
The campaign is set in the early 21st Century. I'm not finding the exact date in the IW chapter of the Basic Campaigns book, but the old GURPS Time Travels suppliment it originally appeared in set Homeline in 2015.
2027 is the nominal year on Homeline, but I'm not finding where I picked that number up... It's in IW or Campaigns. I just can't seem to find the page ref.

WineShark.com
WineShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
Ed the Coastie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Just curiouis: How exactly was Hussein going to be able to 'turn over' Bin Laden? Osama wasn't in Iraq, had no credibly reported connection to the secular government of Iraq (indeed he had a strong animosity towards it by all accounts). The best estimates of his location since 9/11 has been remote spots in Afghanistan or Pakistan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesterfield
bin Laden was in Afghanistan, and had nothing to do with Iraq. Going after Saddam was entirely out of left field.
I stand corrected. My apologies.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:33 PM   #17
Captain-Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by WineShark
2027 is the nominal year on Homeline, but I'm not finding where I picked that number up... It's in IW or Campaigns. I just can't seem to find the page ref.
2027 is in the book, which I don't have at hand alas so no page reference.

I specifically remember it because it's anomalous. In 1991's Time Travel, the Infinity setting takes place in 2015. 24 year difference. In 2005's IW, it's 2027 a 22 year delta.

Are we catching up?
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:04 AM   #18
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesterfield

Infinity controls the technology and charges high license fees, so many poor countries won't have access. On the other hand they can be reverse engineered and some countries do operate off the book conveyors.

Another problem is cargo capacity, a country can be self sufficient but it will take a lot of conveyors and a lot of trips.
Well GURPS: Infinate Worlds admits that the Mob has 'off the book' conveyors as well as bribed a few Patrol officers so the total control impression GURPS Time Travel gave is gone and a more realistic view is protraid.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 12:15 AM   #19
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
2027 is in the book, which I don't have at hand alas so no page reference.

I specifically remember it because it's anomalous. In 1991's Time Travel, the Infinity setting takes place in 2015. 24 year difference. In 2005's IW, it's 2027 a 22 year delta.

Are we catching up?
Comparing Time Travel and Infinate Worlds is tricky because several worlds changed quanta between the two with no reason given or even a note as this happening, some have kept the same year while others have different years then the delta between the two books would suggest.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 02:24 AM   #20
Xenarthral

Quote:
However, the Iraq invasion seems to indicate Bush in office, period.
But Iraq (along with North Korea, Libya, Iran, Syria, Cuba and Burma) is still
(or again) a rogue state in 2027. (Infinite Worlds, p. 44)
Xenarthral is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
infinite worlds