Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 07-31-2011, 12:15 PM   #841
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Default Re: Art for games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
Now that's what I'm talking about (other than the facial expression - How about something that says, "Yeah, I work out a little," rather than, "I. Smell. Excrement" ....?)
Nothing about her says "I work out a little." It more says "I work out to the extent that I make Arnold Schwartzetcettera look like a soft little boy." And the expression I was going for but missed was "I'm going to break you."

Seriously, I just need to make her purple, and she'd be a freaking GREL.

Quote:
Close - I'd make her a little bigger around the shoulders and thighs, but the midsection looks great.
The feedback from the lesbian bock actually thought her legs were great, but they agreed about the shoulders, and also said that her head looked a little small.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Not to beat up on the twigged horse, but it's not just the legs which are too much like toothpicks, with forearms like that and no biceps or shoulders that girl wouldn't be able to vault anything.
And that's after I bulked up the arms. ;-)

However, she does have biceps. If you check her elbow, just above it, you'll see the curve into the seperation of the bicep and the tricep. But, since she actually has breasts, that means she has to have a decent layer of body fat, and that will soften hard muscle lines.

That's not to say that they may still be small, but, when I was bulking them up, anything beyond that size made her look like Popeye.

Quote:
Basically, whenever you have an image where the knee/elbow joint is the widest part of the limb you're depicting someone in the 90 lbs and under wimp category.
You've said something like that in the past, and I've been keeping a close eye on joints. That's actually why I bulked up her arms (when she was wearing sleeves, her arm thickness was irrelevant). I bulked them to where her elbows weren't the widest part of her limb, but only slightly narrower than her forearm.

Quote:
(not to detract from the fact that your stuff is getting better and better)

Quote:
Yeah, I should clarify that this is all way, way better than I could do, and that I'm just making comments as the intended audience (ie: red-blooded heterosexual men and/or red-blooded homosexual women with an eye to cinematic semi-realism) here.
Thanks for that, guys.

The lesbian camp is split on my pictures, half of them like the slender, twig-like women, and the others say "But, I'd break her! And not in the Dolfph Lungren/Rocky IV sorta way!"
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 01:00 PM   #842
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Skarr View Post
Nothing about her says "I work out a little." It more says "I work out to the extent that I make Arnold Schwartzetcettera look like a soft little boy." And the expression I was going for but missed was "I'm going to break you."
Take a look at Heini Koivuniemi, she's beautiful and one of the world's strongest women.

http://medlem.spray.se/bolestrongtea...0_22898493.jpg
http://medlem.spray.se/bolestrongtea...9_19177522.jpg
http://medlem.spray.se/bolestrongtea...Heini%20DL.jpg

Quote:
And that's after I bulked up the arms. ;-)

However, she does have biceps. If you check her elbow, just above it, you'll see the curve into the seperation of the bicep and the tricep. But, since she actually has breasts, that means she has to have a decent layer of body fat, and that will soften hard muscle lines.
Sure that softens the hard muscle lines, but that's because there's more flesh over the muscle, not because there's less muscle.

Try looking at the arms of some beach volleyball players in action, this is what I mean about the elbows.

Forearm in action.

Shoulders in action.

(All links should be SFW, but
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:48 PM   #843
Anthony

Quote:
Nothing about her says "I work out a little." It more says "I work out to the extent that I make Arnold Schwartzetcettera look like a soft little boy."
She's got pretty extensive lower body development, but the upper body is pretty modest.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:17 AM   #844
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Take a look at Heini Koivuniemi, she's beautiful and one of the world's strongest women.
Nothing about her says "Parkour." And, nothing about her is feminine. Her shoulders are significantly wider than her hips and I have larger breasts than she does (and that is a sad, sad comment on my physical condition; sorry, no brain bleach for that one, guys).

The female Parkours I find tend to look a lot more like Maria, and less like Heini. They are not rippling with muscles, they're well-toned, but not ripped. They are far more like Heidi, then like Heini.

Quote:
Try looking at the arms of some beach volleyball players in action, this is what I mean about the elbows.
I do understand the elbow bit, but, looking at Parkour women, there is a big difference between them.

The volleyball players are people who are using their muscles in a different way than a Parkour does. If you're using your muscles, for brute effect, in Parkour, you're doing it wrong. It's all about momentum and coordination and efficency and not about raw physical strength. Look at actual Parkour women and you'll see that they don't have incredibly defined muscle groups, they're softer than those volley ball players.

Parkour men tend to be ripped, but the women, much less so.

I mean Parkour was invented by a bunch of scrawny French guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
She's got pretty extensive lower body development, but the upper body is pretty modest.
And Sturdy Women (take 2, with a less annoyed face), scared the pants off of a couple of my players.

They did, however, agree, that in addition to a beard, she needed a larger torso, arms and neck. And perhaps a battle axe.
Old 08-01-2011, 03:33 AM   #845
Icelander

Quote:
Give attractive kids superpower, they're going to go into combat wearing as little as they can get away with. Or less. Until they learn better. Because you can't tell them it'll happen, they have to learn it the hard way.
Unless the superpower is the kind to make guns irrelevant, that works once.

In any setting where random people gain superpowers that are less than omnipotent, the people who have the sense to conceal it are going to massively outnumber the ones who want to high-light their specialness after a week or so.

As such, I tend to focus on the non-retarded ones as potential PCs and their significant allies or foils.

Ever since guns were invented, it has been true that if you can see it, you can kill it. So being easily seen has become the exact inverse of a survival tactic.
Old 08-01-2011, 04:16 AM   #846
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Unless the superpower is the kind to make guns irrelevant, that works once.
Yes, and many, many super games involve those powers quite readily. Especially when costumed supers enter the equation. The lowest DR in my IST game is 10, on an invisible, teleport-equipped assassin droid. And it still has IT:DR /3 and Unkillable 1. The average DR is 30 with IT:DR /5. So, yes, your guns are fairly irrelevant.

Oh, and I didn't see Silk Spectre getting shot too many times, even against fire arm equipped foes. I didn't see her taking to many hits from anything that wasn't another super. And, honestly, Ozzy and Dr. Manhattan were supers, the rest were super-normals without any superpowers. So, your argument seems to fall apart without powers.

Quote:
In any setting where random people gain superpowers that are less than omnipotent, the people who have the sense to conceal it are going to massively outnumber the ones who want to high-light their specialness after a week or so.
Yep, and that’s a limited setting of supers. You may want to realize that by limiting supers to that extent, you’re practically creating a straw man. You’re pretty much locking them into minor supers who are hiding from a monolithic government setting, as opposed to, I don’t know, anything Golden or Silver age. Or the vast majority of comic books. Even the grittier comic books have costumed super heroes.

Anyone who brings conventional firearms to a supers fight usually gets their butts kicked so hard it leaves a mark on the next idiot to try it.

And, in your dystopian supers world, it’s not like the supers are going to be wandering around in full body armor; they’re going to be trying to blend in. Guess what that means? Teens are going to dress and act, shockingly enough, to you, I know, like teens. They're just not going to be looking for the chance to practice their abilities. That doesn't mean that they're suddenly going to become responsible adults who dress conservatively.

Quote:
As such, I tend to focus on the non-retarded ones as potential PCs and their significant allies or foils.
This is border-line flaming and very much a "badwrongfun" statement. As such I will only respond to it with the acknowledgement of it being such.

Quote:
Ever since guns were invented, it has been true that if you can see it, you can kill it. So being easily seen has become the exact inverse of a survival tactic.
And ever since superheroes have existed, it's been true that you don't have to see something to kill it.

And ever since superheroes have existed, you're argument has been invalid. You can see Dr. Manhattan, but they couldn't kill him.

And ever since superheroes have existed, it’s foolish to presume anything from our world would hold true in theirs. Your tunnel-vision view of Supers is not a metric by which many of us rate supers.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 AM   #847
Lonewulf

Man, things are getting unnecessarily heated in here.

I think I'll just say that I find <Moderator edit, NSFW link removed> figure far more attractive than most of the skinny ones on display. (Warning: NSFW on account of boobies)

Not a fan of the nipple ring, but hey, can't have everything.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com

Last edited by sjard; 08-01-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: removed NSFW image link
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:18 AM   #848
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
Nothing about her says "Parkour." And, nothing about her is feminine. Her shoulders are significantly wider than her hips and I have larger breasts than she does
Heini was for comparison to your "Sturdy Women" art, and while quite powerfully built, Heini is quite feminine, just contrast her with some of the steroid bound hulks she competed with.

As for Heini's breasts, she's got a decent natural handful, as opposed to ridiculous Power Girl melons, but putting ridiculously sized melons on a Super doesn't make them strong, despite what some of the top comic book artists seem to think.

Quote:
The female Parkours I find tend to look a lot more like Maria, and less like Heini. They are not rippling with muscles, they're well-toned, but not ripped. They are far more like Heidi, then like Heini.
Heidi's fine for Parkour, though I think she needs more shoulder, the volleyball action shots were the ones I was suggesting for Parkour, the Heini suggestion was for the "Sturdy Women".

Quote:
And Sturdy Women (take 2, with a less annoyed face), scared the pants off of a couple of my players.
She's built like a college 20 year old female sprinter, she doesn't have the shoulders of the typical field female athlete, too small for someone who throws the hammer, disc or javelin, but she does have the legs of someone who runs the 100 meter dash.

http://ncaaphotos.photoshelter.com/g...0000JQdeHQvpT4

http://www.ncaa.com/news/trackfield-...ps-team-titles

The Olympic sprinters are bigger than the college ones:
http://www.corbisimages.com/images/W...4-744c09f2a8f4
http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/...alg_shelly.jpg
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:27 AM   #849
Lonewulf

This female bodybuilder is plenty feminine: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_uSwq105msf...r.s600x600.jpg

Note that before anyone mentions parkour, that's not what I'm talking about. Just the whole "if they have muscle, they don't look feminine" mindset.
She'll bring in a murderous prize
~Blind Guardian

My Writing.com
Lonewulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #850
zorg
Experimental Subject

Well, Mark, time to do a super-powered weightlifter chick :)

Tags
art