Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-01-2012, 10:11 PM   #1
Derago

Default Problem with low acc on the Kwk40 (in 4e)

In High-Tech, the stats for the 75mm kwk 40 (for those that don't know, it the main gun of one version of the Panzer 4) has attributed it with an acc of 6+1. That seems to be far too low. Is there something I am missing that would allow the weapon to accurately engage targets at greater range (besides ridiculous skill levels)?
Derago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:28 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Problem with low acc on the Kwk40 (in 4e)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derago View Post
In High-Tech, the stats for the 75mm kwk 40 (for those that don't know, it the main gun of one version of the Panzer 4) has attributed it with an acc of 6+1. That seems to be far too low. Is there something I am missing that would allow the weapon to accurately engage targets at greater range (besides ridiculous skill levels)?
Well, I imagine you could use Precision Aiming with it.

With 3 turns of Aim and an AoA it would have +9 to hit, +4 for target SM against its likely targets... Hmm, that's not getting all that far, is it? Well, it's also Braced, which is only another +1 in the Basic Set (bringing it up to break-even at 500 yards), but in Tactical Shooting there's a rule that the Bracing bonus for a turret mount is +4. Net bonus of +17.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Derago

I wasn't aware that a turret mount is +4! I wish things like that were listed in the vehicle's stats... Thanks for the quick response!
Derago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:40 AM   #4
PPoS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
but in Tactical Shooting there's a rule that the Bracing bonus for a turret mount is +4
Whaaaaa .. Totally missed that one. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:57 AM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derago View Post
I wasn't aware that a turret mount is +4! I wish things like that were listed in the vehicle's stats... Thanks for the quick response!
I don't know if they'd do things that way regardless, but Tactical Shooting is more recent than High Tech so there's no way the vehicle writeups in the latter could have referenced this.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
chimchim

Quote:
Well, I imagine you could use Precision Aiming with it.

With 3 turns of Aim and an AoA it would have +9 to hit, +4 for target SM against its likely targets... Hmm, that's not getting all that far, is it? Well, it's also Braced, which is only another +1 in the Basic Set (bringing it up to break-even at 500 yards), but in Tactical Shooting there's a rule that the Bracing bonus for a turret mount is +4. Net bonus of +17.
Would not the gunner also declare an all out attack determined (i am afb not sure if its determined for ranged attacks) for an additional +1?
Old 02-04-2012, 03:01 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimchim View Post
Would not the gunner also declare an all out attack determined (i am afb not sure if its determined for ranged attacks) for an additional +1?
That was supposed to be included in "3 turns of aim and an AoA". But the total I gave for that is off, so yes, there should be another +1 for a final +18.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Maz

Remember also that a tank usually fires against other tanks or other large targets that have a large SM modifier.

Against infantry you are using explosive rounds so it doesn't matter if you miss.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #9
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
... but in Tactical Shooting there's a rule that the Bracing bonus for a turret mount is +4.
So people attempting to play GURPS without Tactical Shooting are just plain out of luck. Awesome.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:18 AM   #10
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
So people attempting to play GURPS without Tactical Shooting are just plain out of luck. Awesome.
That is hardly fair.
It just means you use a different brace mod in this case.
Otherwise Tactical Shooting is a logical book to pick up if your planning on a realistic and gun heavy style game.
Same as any other supplement like Supers, Martial Arts, Magic, Gun Fu, etc.
Its a mod in a logical place for the type of game someone should figure out the book is appropriate for but like the others above not a required book, just extra detail and options for a particular genre and play style.
A more accurate and less absurd statement might be ... So People attempting to play GURPS real world combat with firearms should get Tactical Shooting.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
high-tech, tank, wwii