Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-16-2021, 09:39 AM   #51
Captain Joy

Default Re: What's next for the DFRPG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone View Post
However much or little GURPS stuff a hypothetical DFRPG Combat Companion packs in, though, it's going to be a pretty marginal purchase for GURPS players who already have all that. What fresh content could it offer to make it fun for any purchaser?
Combat maps, monsters, and scenarios designed to teach and take advantage of the new options.
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 10:01 AM   #52
Dalin

Quote:
I'd welcome the formal addition, too; burning energy (including Heroic Reserves) on feats is a good fit for DFRPG, IMO. I don't know what would be a good context for introducing it, though. Maybe a tome of new combat options, especially for the fightin' professions - a Martial Arts for DFRPG?
I'm not sure that we could add enough meat to it without taking the complexity up too high. My players have been playing DFRPG with me since it was published and they're still not really maxing out the combat system. (They're finally getting better about hit locations and using deceptive attacks.)

I could see a volume along the lines of DF3. General power-ups and new options for each profession. Most players enjoy new advantage options. The extra effort rules could be in a "general" section.
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:14 AM   #53
Black Leviathan

Can we please have a simple dungeons book, Just a small paperback with 10-odd simple dungeons that can be tackled in a 5 hour game session with 250 pt characters.

Publish something so Ken in Wyoming who's trying to ween his table off D20 games can run an introductory GURPS game without having to learn how to do worldbuilding or buy a ton of books.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #54
Dalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post
Can we please have a simple dungeons book, Just a small paperback with 10-odd simple dungeons that can be tackled in a 5 hour game session with 250 pt characters.

Publish something so Ken in Wyoming who's trying to ween his table off D20 games can run an introductory GURPS game without having to learn how to do worldbuilding or buy a ton of books.
Hearty agreement here! Could even recycle an adventure or three from Pyramid (like the pirate queen one).
Dalin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:53 PM   #55
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I'm not sure that we could add enough meat to it without taking the complexity up too high.
Agreed. GURPS MA is mostly lots of stuff not needed for DFRPG: historical and geographical overviews of martial arts, martial arts campaign ideas, and, of course, styles, which brings in technique complications and Style Familiarity and all that. Nah. Just let the PCs take whatever fighting skills they have, and call it "Dwarven Hâmmerfďst" if they want to make it a "style".

But I imagine a few techniques could be brought to DFRPG - not as per-point techniques, but as one-shot advantages (techniques maxed-out at their full cost of 3 pts or 5 pts or whatever they are). A handful of rules from the Combat chapter would be fine as DFRPG options. And finally, MA has plenty of weapons that could be introduced to DFRPG (though the latter already has a very generous selection).

Without giving any of this deep thought, those things plus detailed tactical advice would make for a fun DFRPG Combat Companion, I'd think. But then again, those components could also appear in some other form, as you note. (And, whatever I may think, maybe there's also good reason why those components weren't picked up for DFRPG in the first place.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:36 PM   #56
Rasputin

Quote:
I'd welcome the formal addition, too; burning energy (including Heroic Reserves) on feats is a good fit for DFRPG, IMO. I don't know what would be a good context for introducing it, though. Maybe a tome of new combat options, especially for the fightin' professions - a Martial Arts for DFRPG?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I'm not sure that we could add enough meat to it without taking the complexity up too high.
This would be better off as a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplement instead of a DFRPG one. Even then, it would still have to be built in a way to support GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, with advantages instead of techniques.

It's a good idea for a supplement, don't get me wrong (it's on my most-desired list as well), but the focus is on the wrong line. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is for endless options, DFRPG should be beginner-friendly.

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:05 PM   #57
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
This would be better off as a GURPS Dungeon Fantasy supplement instead of a DFRPG one. Even then, it would still have to be built in a way to support GURPS Dungeon Fantasy, with advantages instead of techniques.

It's a good idea for a supplement, don't get me wrong (it's on my most-desired list as well), but the focus is on the wrong line. GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is for endless options, DFRPG should be beginner-friendly.
I disagree. DF players are already familiar with GURPS; they can add stuff from the main game on their own. This should be a condensed set of options with all the serial numbers filed off for those who don't want full GURPS.

Playing: GURPS Nordlond Dragons of Hosgarth
Running Savage Worlds Tour of Darkness (Vietnam + Mythos)
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #58
InexplicableVic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Leviathan View Post

This, 100%
InexplicableVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:34 AM   #59
Michael Thayne

The best thing about the DFRPG boxed set is I can have players who've never played GURPS before show up at my apartment for an afternoon of gaming and get started right away with some great pregens and a straightforward dungeon.

But when I sat down to plan the Dungeon Fantasy campaign I'm going to be starting soon, I would up using almost 100% GURPS Dungeon Fantasy material, not DFRPG. There's just so much more support for the former, and dealing with the subtle inconsistencies between the two can be annoying. I have occasionally referenced DFRPG for guidance on how to GM certain traits (such as Weirdness Magnet) in a Dungeon Fantasy context, and I may wind up using some monsters that only ever appeared in DFRPG eventually (I honestly wasn't a fan of many of the monsters in DFRPG Monsters 2, but angels, centaurs, and giants are classics I wouldn't want to be without, at least when I do a plot where they make sense!). But mostly GURPS Dungeon Fantasy is better for something intended to be a long-running campagin.

Reflecting on these points, another dungeon might be the most useful thing I can imagine seeing as part of the DFRPG line as opposed to GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. A conversion guide would also be really nice—I think we've tried to pierce together one on forum threads but it would be nice to have something "official" so I don't have to wonder if I've missed something.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:47 PM   #60
David Johansen

oooh...Solitaire Dungeon!
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote