Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
LoneWolf23k

Default We're (not) gonna have to adjust Bow ROFs

Y'know how most bows are listed as having a rate of fire of 1(2)? Real Life archer Lars Anderson demonstrates the "Old masters" archery techniques he re-discovered, which basically make "cinematic" archery speeds and accuracy pale in comparison.

Yes folks, the "semi-automatic archer" is a realistic achievement, provided you have the right technique.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
panton41

Default Re: [From Real Life] We're gonna have to adjust Bow ROFs

This exact video has been posted numerous times (three at last count) and I can't be bothered to dig up the old threads but a summery of future comments:

1) The bow has a very low draw weight and would do next to no damage in GURPS.

2) He's not pulling for a full-power shot (on top of #1).

3) This is an example of "Bow (Art)" skill and would be penalized in combat conditions.

4) The rules reflect this perfectly well with Heroic Archer, Weapon Master and Martial Arts (also see #1, 2 and 3 for why he's able to use a cinematic ability).

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
thirqual

The multiple appeals to "old masters", "old wisdom", "ancient secrets" are also a good warning sign.

There is a name for someone with his skills : a circus performer.
thirqual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
PK

This video again? :)

Yes, what he's doing has no relation to combat skills in GURPS. He isn't using Bow, he's using Bow Art, which covers using a bow for techniques that look amazing despite being of no actual martial use.

If you want to simulate what he's doing in GURPS, roll vs. the lower of Bow Art or Fast-Draw (Arrow), with all applicable penalties for both, but bonuses for TDM and appropriate gear (e.g., a low-draw bow and custom quiver). Success fires one arrow in the general direction of a target, plus one additional arrow for every two full points of success, in a single second.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
ErhnamDJ

How many times has it been now? I've lost count. I'm impressed with the way this guy has been able to get his video around.

Here was last time this came up.

And the time before that.

I'll quote myself here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yours Truly
I would model it as Performance specialized in a bow-shaped object. That's not an example of something useful for harming anything.

My blog.
ErhnamDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
Mr Frost

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post
This exact video has been posted numerous times (three at last count) and I can't be bothered to dig up the old threads but a summery of future comments:

1) The bow has a very low draw weight and would do next to no damage in GURPS.

2) He's not pulling for a full-power shot (on top of #1).

3) This is an example of "Bow (Art)" skill and would be penalized in combat conditions.

4) The rules reflect this perfectly well with Heroic Archer, Weapon Master and Martial Arts (also see #1, 2 and 3 for why he's able to use a cinematic ability).
This {and what thirqual , ErhnamDJ and PK said} plus the mail is not only not legit but also laid on a flat board without padding .
He should change His name from Lars to Lies .

Last edited by Mr Frost; 11-19-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: It was there
Mr Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
DanHoward

"Circus performer" is an apt description. It looks very impressive if you don't scrutinise it too closely.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Well, I suppose this Performance should be doable using Bow Art with reduced-ST bows . . . but how would it be done game-mechanically? Just say that Bow Art gets to ready the bow faster like a Heroic Archer but with fewer rolls? Seems weird.

The show does seem like nice inspiration for what to do with a Heroic Archer.

Also, I wonder how much he is lying about the 'ancient books', e.g. about the chief who launched ten arrows before the first hit the ground.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Well, I suppose this Performance should be doable using Bow Art with reduced-ST bows . . . but how would it be done game-mechanically? Just say that Bow Art gets to ready the bow faster like a Heroic Archer but with fewer rolls? Seems weird.
Why does it need fewer rolls? This is just Quick-Shooting without Heroic Archer but with an equivalent bonus from the trick equipment and rehearsals.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Why does it need fewer rolls? This is just Quick-Shooting without Heroic Archer but with an equivalent bonus from the trick equipment and the huge SM for the vague target zone.
1-foot sized flying saucers don't seem like a vague target zone. The three-arrow shot apparently is done without any special quiver (because arrows are held in hand), and I'm not sure what a 'trick equipment' bow would be - it's just shot at less than full ST/draw. (If there's some cool type of bow that helps one draw to its minST faster than usual, then cinematic bowyers will want that on top of their mad skillz and HA.)

Tags
bow art