Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2017, 07:41 PM   #21
(E)
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: New Zealand.
Default Re: [RPM] Some questions about Path of Magic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmquist View Post
According to p. 25, it should resist the demon "that tries to harm the subject in any way or tries to cross (or attack across)" the ward. As written, it should stop the fireball because it was a demon that threw it.

Personally, I might allow a demon to throw mundane rocks or shoot mundane guns across a ward. I might even allow it to use a magic item powered by non-demon magic. I would rule that no part of the demon's body or any supernatural effect created from the demon's power could cross the ward unhindered (unless it already broke through of course). I would probably rule that any demon powered effect used by a non-demon would also be resisted.

PK and other GMs are free to disagree of course.
That might be an aspect covered in a demonic power modifier?

Also for full consideration reasons how do the various GURPS magic "rain of" spells interact? Are they cast above a ward?

Edit
Also the various "explosive" missile spells, I would presume they fizzle or detonate on contact with the ward.
__________________
Waiting for inspiration to strike......
And spending too much time thinking about farming for RPGs
Contributor to Citadel at Nordvörn
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #22
calmquist
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default Re: [RPM] Some questions about Path of Magic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
That might be an aspect covered in a demonic power modifier?

Also for full consideration reasons how do the various GURPS magic "rain of" spells interact? Are they cast above a ward?

Edit
Also the various "explosive" missile spells, I would presume they fizzle or detonate on contact with the ward.
I would consider susceptibility to demon wards a drawback of a demonic power modifier.

I think that ward's ability to protect against "rain of" spells and magic effects with the overhead enhancement would depend on the nature of the ward. If the ward is defined as a wall, overhead effects could avoid the ward entirely. If the ward is defined as a dome or a sphere, it should still block overhead effects.

If the ward blocks missile spells, it could block explosions. The explosive effects are tricky. Assuming a ward can block missile spells but not mundane effects, I would expect it to block fire from an explosive fireball. I would not expect it to block mundane rocks, dirt or air. A careful ritual could create an explosion that is entirely mundane.

Last edited by calmquist; 04-27-2017 at 08:13 PM. Reason: Answer demonic power modifier question
calmquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:17 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: [RPM] Some questions about Path of Magic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmquist View Post
Personally, I might allow a demon to throw mundane rocks or shoot mundane guns across a ward.
I think "resists any appropriate creature that tries to harm the subject in any way or that tries to cross (or attack across) the barrier of an area-effect ward" pretty clearly applies to any attack across the ward. Also if it didn't apply, then it would be nigh useless in the sort of urban fantasy RPM was made for because demons/vampires/angels/whatever would just carry firearms.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:42 PM   #24
calmquist
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Default Re: [RPM] Some questions about Path of Magic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think "resists any appropriate creature that tries to harm the subject in any way or that tries to cross (or attack across) the barrier of an area-effect ward" pretty clearly applies to any attack across the ward. Also if it didn't apply, then it would be nigh useless in the sort of urban fantasy RPM was made for because demons/vampires/angels/whatever would just carry firearms.
I agree that the wording is clear too, and I understand your point. It does seem strange that mundane things couldn't cross a ward. Perhaps the demon's touch temporarily corrupts them long enough to allow the ward to stop them.

The wards would still be useful against demon powers, mindless undead and other supernatural creatures that were incapable of using firearms for some reason. Wards could also be used to trap intelligent supernatural creatures or block certain paths, so they could be used effectively against vampires with guns.
calmquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:05 PM   #25
4rc4num
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Default Re: [RPM] Some questions about Path of Magic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think "resists any appropriate creature that tries to harm the subject in any way or that tries to cross (or attack across) the barrier of an area-effect ward" pretty clearly applies to any attack across the ward. Also if it didn't apply, then it would be nigh useless in the sort of urban fantasy RPM was made for because demons/vampires/angels/whatever would just carry firearms.
I dont like this interpretation.

To me, saying that a Lesser Control Spirit ward can block all conjured rituals by a demon is the same to say that a Lesser Control Body ward can block all magic conjured by a mage.

Path of Spirit clearly says that Spirit mimic Life and Mind effects against beings that mind and body are the same and no one use Life or Mind to ward against a fireball.

My vote goes to Spirit Ward cant block Rituals conjured by Spirits. But a Path of Spirit Ritual can cast a mind effect against the demon to make it stop casting spells.

At least, I need to agree that the text is clear about "harm the subject in any way", but I want to see PK answer about this point.

Last edited by 4rc4num; 04-27-2017 at 11:16 PM.
4rc4num is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.