Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Spaceships Orion oddity

I found that the overall amount of fissionable material may remain nearly constant across ship sizes of 2k to 8 mil tons.
Mundane explosives allow improvement of the efficiency yield for propulsion purposes.

That means the price of refueling per ton should go down as ships get bigger.

Sometimes bigger really is better. I find it funny that it's true for nuke powered spaceships.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Spaceships Orion oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I found that the overall amount of fissionable material may remain nearly constant across ship sizes of 2k to 8 mil tons.
Mundane explosives allow improvement of the efficiency yield for propulsion purposes.

That means the price of refueling per ton should go down as ships get bigger.

Sometimes bigger really is better. I find it funny that it's true for nuke powered spaceships.
You seem to be presuming that larger ships use more powerful (and efficient) pulse units. Everything about the handling in Spaceships suggests that ships of all sizes use the same pulse units.
Old 08-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Spaceships Orion oddity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You seem to be presuming that larger ships use more powerful (and efficient) pulse units. Everything about the handling in Spaceships suggests that ships of all sizes use the same pulse units.
I meant the real Orion drive. My mistake. I always adjust game stats to fit reality, on the occasions I know enough to do so.

For my new TL 7 Mars colony mission setting, reducing the price of all those nukes is quite important.
Otherwise my SM+13 ship that holds 120,000 tons of fuel costs that times 250,000 dollars or 30 B dollars without introducing any house-rule prototype infrastructure start up prices.