Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-23-2021, 12:58 PM   #11
Coinage

Default Re: Do Shapeshifters duplicate the objects of their victims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
I'd just borrow the Duplicated Gear enhancement from Duplication (p. B51) and call it a day. That's 100 points of unfairness. Seems fine to me.
I did not know that Enhancements for Duplication could be transferred like that. If so, then that is a third option.
Coinage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:00 PM   #12
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Most of the time I just give doppelgangers natural weapons and armor to emulate equipment, but for evil mirror images I would be tempted to just have a trap (or mirror, or something) with Affliction (advantage: duplication, duplicated gear; duplicate is evil).
Is there an article or publication that goes into designing traps? I would really like to see it.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:02 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coinage View Post
I did not know that Enhancements for Duplication could be transferred like that.
Advantage-specific enhancements are not officially transferable, but they're frequently a reasonable model for a house rule.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:18 PM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
I did not know that Enhancements for Duplication could be transferred like that. If so, then that is a third option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Advantage-specific enhancements are not officially transferable, but they're frequently a reasonable model for a house rule.
They are often borrowed from given sources when they make sense. Psionic Powers has a few cases and so does Sorcery.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 01:45 PM   #15
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher R. Rice View Post
They are often borrowed from given sources when they make sense. Psionic Powers has a few cases and so does Sorcery.
Okay, so it is transferable is some instances, but it is open to interpretation. Copy that.
Old 11-23-2021, 01:48 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Okay, so it is transferable is some instances, but it is open to interpretation. Copy that.
You got it. Use the same caution you would when assigning Cosmic to a trait.

Become a Patron!
Old 11-23-2021, 02:05 PM   #17
naloth

Alternatively you could use Illusion. It's much cheaper if you're only concerned about appearance rather than duplicating abilities. IME, that fits creatures that ambush using disguise (such as a mimic that looks like chest).

I've also considered non-protective, non-removable clothing a perk (ala the DR perk from powers) for shape-shifters if they are duplicating what their target and have the appearance only modifier (T1000 terminator types). It can include the semblance of non-working (as a trade off for being non-removable and exactly matching the appearance of the target).
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 02:44 PM   #18
Coinage

Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
Alternatively you could use Illusion. It's much cheaper if you're only concerned about appearance rather than duplicating abilities. IME, that fits creatures that ambush using disguise (such as a mimic that looks like chest).

I've also considered non-protective, non-removable clothing a perk (ala the DR perk from powers) for shape-shifters if they are duplicating what their target and have the appearance only modifier (T1000 terminator types). It can include the semblance of non-working (as a trade off for being non-removable and exactly matching the appearance of the target).
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I want my doppelganger to duplicate abilities as well.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #19
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. However, I want my doppelganger to duplicate abilities as well.
As you usually can't Morph (non-appearance-based) non-racial advantages, I would price this over a simple 50% because you are adding the capability to sense the attribute levels, advantages and disadvantages, etc, of anyone "sampled".

I think at least a +100% cosmic is appropriate if you can learn and copy everything about a subject that can be read from their character sheet.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 12:10 AM   #20
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
As you usually can't Morph (non-appearance-based) non-racial advantages, I would price this over a simple 50% because you are adding the capability to sense the attribute levels, advantages and disadvantages, etc, of anyone "sampled".

I think at least a +100% cosmic is appropriate if you can learn and copy everything about a subject that can be read from their character sheet.
I might go higher. It's basically uncontested Power Theft on Neutralize where the target doesn't lose their powers so you can copy a fellow party member's abilities and bam! Now you have two sets of the same power and that can get broken. I talk about it some on my blog.

Become a Patron!