Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #1
Maz

Default Playing in the world of the Willow movie.

So I just watched Willow (1988) with the kids. It was my first real fantasy movie and always had a special significance for me. But even then it has been many many years since I watched it last.

Combined with an increasing want to try to run a GURPS game in a low powered fantasy game where magic is rare (but powerful and mystical).

And it just clicked. Of course! The world Willow takes place might be a good fit, and open (unfinished) enough to give me a lot of leeway.

So now I started trying to do a bit of worldbuilding. That is, GURPSify it. Racial templates, Tech Level... And rules for magic.

Have anyone ever tried to run a game in that setting? In GURPS or otherwise?

Ideas and suggestions are very welcome!

NB. I just found out that there are three novels written in the setting as well. I had no idea and are now going to see if I can find them. But until then my only source are the movies.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
Maz

Default Re: Playing in the world of the Willow movie.

The races we see (as fitting PC races) in the movie are Nelwyn (such as Willow) and Daikini (pretty much humans).
Maybe to a lesser degree brownies but for the most part I think they are better as NPC's.

Daikini
Since they are humans I don't think there is much need for any racial template. But it might be fitting to offer up some cultural templates, but in the movie at least everyone seem to be from the same (north-western early medieval culture).

Nelwyn
I am just going to ignore the fact that they are played by people with dwarfism and treat them like they are an actual fantasy race. This is not to offend anyone but to keep it separate.

Attribute Modifiers: ST-2 [-20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM -1. Move -1 [-5]

I don't really see any other traits that distinguish them from the daikini.

Brownies

Attribute Modifiers: ST-8 [-80], IQ-1 [-20].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: SM -6. HP +2 [4]. Move -3 [-5]. Will +1 [5]. Per +1 [5]. Low TL -1 (efficient TL:1) [-5]

Other traits: Possible more HP than their ST indicates as they seem pretty durable. They take some punishment from falls and impacts without more than the typical comic-relief 'shaking it off'.

Last edited by Maz; 08-22-2018 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
Maz

Tech Level.
I'm going to ignore single pieces of equipment that are anachronistic.

To me the setting seems fairly squarely TL:3. Maybe early TL:3. This is based on the equipment mostly.

[edit]Apparently George Lucas seems to think of it as roughly 300-400 BC. And I guess TL:2 could fit (with some inaccuracies). I certainly think it would be cool to restrict it to TL:2 as a gamemaster. [/edit]

Magical system.

This is where I really need your guys help! I mostly play sci-fi and the one time I ran a Dungeon Fantasy game we used the good old classical magic system. I have no experience with any of the other interesting systems out there. so please advice!

Last edited by Maz; 08-20-2018 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Phantasm

Brownies get IQ as a bang skill? That doesn't seem right, esp. with a negative point value.

Also, there also seems to be a 4th race we see *very* briefly in one scene, faeries (led by Cherlindrea). Other than an SM on par w/ brownies, winged flight, and the Illumination Perk, I can't think of anything else.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:45 PM   #5
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
Brownies get IQ as a bang skill? That doesn't seem right, esp. with a negative point value.
Ehe, no, sorry. That's the (un)official way to say "IQ but without Will and Per".

So it's to say they get reduced IQ, but not Per or Will.
These two guys are chosen to guide Willow and do NOT seem all that smart. If smarter brownies where available I am guessing they would have been chosen, the quest being for the sake of the world and all that. I know they are the comic relief but I still think its fitting to have them at a general lower IQ level. But they seem brave enough and observant enough.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #6
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Ehe, no, sorry. That's the (un)official way to say "IQ but without Will and Per".

So it's to say they get reduced IQ, but not Per or Will.
These two guys are chosen to guide Willow and do NOT seem all that smart. If smarter brownies where available I am guessing they would have been chosen, the quest being for the sake of the world and all that. I know they are the comic relief but I still think its fitting to have them at a general lower IQ level. But they seem brave enough and observant enough.
Pretty sure that's a wholly unofficial designation. Might be more concise to stick with detailing the Per/Will adjustments, for clarity if nothing else.

As a possible Power-Up, I'd be tempted to give brownies a few levels of Outdoorsman. I'd also say they were TL 0, not TL 1, given the stone spear heads and "nomadic woodland primitive" feel.

For magic, have you considered RPM? Each casting - besides the epic archsorceress duel - seems to take at least a few seconds, and the one ritual took *hours* to perform.

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:18 PM   #7
AlexanderHowl

We only have two examples of the Brownie race though, so it is impossible to generalize. They could have been the idiots of their race or the geniuses, we do not know.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Combined with an increasing want to try to run a GURPS game in a low powered fantasy game where magic is rare (but powerful and mystical).
Willow is not low-powered and magic is not rare in it. Even the Nelwyn village has a wizard, and although hasn't had one for a while, it seems, he's ready to take an apprentice. The film is very Celtic in its inspiration, and Celtic mythology is downright infested with magic.

Nelwyns are halflings, Daikinis are humans, brownies are brownies, and so on. It's actually a pretty bog-standard fantasy setting. Probably standard mana, since not everyone is capable of magic, but any old Nelwyn farmer might be.

Important points of the magic: words are important, but you have to feel them and concentrate on them. There's something mental going on. If you don't concentrate properly, you don't just get a fizzled spell, you get a wrong spell. Spells probably backfire on any failure. But we see all kinds of magic: transformations, necromancy, fire magic, cold magic, transmutations, emotion control, divination. We see potions, ceremonial magic, magic items, and magic wands. Magic words, magical gestures, spell components.

Yep, pretty much the standard magic system with the failure effects of Very High Mana.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #9
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
We only have two examples of the Brownie race though, so it is impossible to generalize. They could have been the idiots of their race or the geniuses, we do not know.
There are other brownies in the scene with Cherlindea and the faeries, but those brownies seem to follow Franjean's lead until the faeries show up.

Plus, I don't think they're portrayed as notably stupid. Clueless, perhaps, or suffering serious CF penalties (possibly both in the case of the comic relief brownies), but not stupid. Just because they're TL0 does not give them IQ penalties. They are experts in the wild, however, and it would not be out of place to give them options for nature magic.

I also don't think Franjean and Rool are geniuses nor idiots among their people; they're probably among the more reckless and adventurous examples. ("Are you suggesting we go home?" "Nah, this is more fun!")

Old 08-20-2018, 05:28 PM   #10
Stormcrow

We also get a lot of what other peoples think of brownies: they consider them an infestation, and aren't in any kind of awe of seeing a "fantastic" race. They're probably pretty common, and they're probably a nuisance.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
low fantasy, setting building, willow