Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #31
Refplace

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Research

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Should Research default to Machine Operation (Optical Devices), considering that at late TL6 until mid-TL8, a lot of the more involved uses of Research require extensive use of microfilm?
No more than it should default to Reading.
And I have had similar experiances to Bill with people who could not use basic equipment, including overhead projectors.
But as you can learn how to use a Microfiche in a few minutes training I think a skill or even Technique for it is overkill.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:13 PM   #32
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
And I have had similar experiances to Bill with people who could not use basic equipment, including overhead projectors.
But as you can learn how to use a Microfiche in a few minutes training I think a skill or even Technique for it is overkill.
Obviously, basic use of it is covered by Research at the appropriate TL.

On the other hand, presumably two people who are both technically able to use microfiche viewers might nevertheless not be equally deft in its use, quick to manipulate the microfilms, able to cover equal amounts of material in the same time or equally able to correct the viewer when minor problems occurred or mistakes were made.

This may be different levels of Research, of course. But it's clearly some skill. After all, everyone with Literacy can read a book, but only heroes with high skill levels can find the correct passage in an unindexed book quickly enough to banish the demon, while their comrades bar the door to the library.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:18 PM   #33
khorboth

Quote:
Do you need any skills besides Research to work as a librarian?

If you're in charge of a sizable library, Administration, certainly, but is there a Professional Skill (Librarian) that exists separately from Research?
When I was a supervisor at a bookstore, I worked with an actual librarian. She had a masters degree in library science ans was between "real jobs."

Based on my conversations with her, I would absolutely give it a professional skill. While Research deals with finding information and is a part of the job, the professional skill is about identifying, cataloging, and preserving documents and literary artifacts. It would include knowing how to identify types of bindings and what proper preservation techniques are. It would also go well beyond books to include pictures, certificates, letters, etc. and the proper way to make each accessible. At higher tech levels, this should also include various digital media. Yes, you could roll Computer Operations at a penalty to convert various picture formats without loss of information, but a librarian will know how for even uncommon ones. Running the information desk would probably be research and/or area knowledge as mentioned above, but each library would probably have at least one genuine librarian in charge of curating the collection.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:28 PM   #34
a humble lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
I was able to use a microfiche reader when I was 13 with only a couple minutes of instruction so I agree a separate skill is overkill.

I'd worry about a default from Machine Operation(Optical Devices) because TL 6-8 optical devices includes a number of things that have nothing to with research; such as bomb sights, telescopes, and endoscopes.

As far as other skills a librarian could/should have, I might give a librarian a point in Connoisseur (Literature) and/or Current Affairs (Literature) to represent a general familiarity with what books are available and what new books are coming out. Also, skill in Performance could be had for librarians who run story time for children. For specialized libraries, the relevant science or knowledge skill would be useful too; if you are going to run an astrophysics or occult library, having skill in astrophysics or occult would be helpful. But really, Research is the only skill that I'd say would be required for a librarian.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:44 PM   #35
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by khorboth View Post
Based on my conversations with her, I would absolutely give it a professional skill. While Research deals with finding information and is a part of the job, the professional skill is about identifying, cataloging, and preserving documents and literary artifacts. It would include knowing how to identify types of bindings and what proper preservation techniques are. It would also go well beyond books to include pictures, certificates, letters, etc. and the proper way to make each accessible. At higher tech levels, this should also include various digital media. Yes, you could roll Computer Operations at a penalty to convert various picture formats without loss of information, but a librarian will know how for even uncommon ones. Running the information desk would probably be research and/or area knowledge as mentioned above, but each library would probably have at least one genuine librarian in charge of curating the collection.
I'm going to say that at least part of those tasks can be viewed as an application of Administration.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:48 PM   #36
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Yes, there is. I wrote it up myself, and Kromm approved my using it in GURPS Powers: The Weird.
Ah, that explains it, one of the two books I almost never crack open (that and Bio-Tech, just never find use in my games or games I'm in).

Quote:
On the gripping hand, though, it can be surprising what people will find hard.
To be fair to your "Copy-Paste" story (yes, that's probably Incompetence (Computers)) there are a lot of non-intuitive steps in copying from one format and pasting to another and then printing.

For instance, my Mom (who uses her computer and internet all the time) has no idea how to copy-paste, doesn't understand that google autofills and suggests search parameters, and on and on and on... but she can click the link that opens facebook and the one for her email and muddle through a google search and use google maps (actually pretty intuitively on google maps). But ask her to copy-paste? Be prepared to step by step her through it, including "now click the right mouse button", every - single - time.

She uses it to watch a Netflix movie once or twice a month, and I have to set it up and explain how the movie player works every time*.

* I really don't want to get old. I know technology will rearrange itself whenever I'm not looking just to mess with me.

Quote:
This may be different levels of Research, of course. But it's clearly some skill. After all, everyone with Literacy can read a book, but only heroes with high skill levels can find the correct passage in an unindexed book quickly enough to banish the demon, while their comrades bar the door to the library.
Yeah, I'd just treat it as Research with Speed-Reading as a Compliment.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:49 PM   #37
Icelander

Quote:
I'm going to say that at least part of those tasks can be viewed as an application of Administration.
On the other hand, knowledge of preservation techniques for various forms of media, from scrolls, codices and books through microfilm to digital media, does not seem like a base part of either Administration or Research.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:00 PM   #38
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Yeah, I'd just treat it as Research with Speed-Reading as a Compliment.
Indeed so, whereas if the banishment chant were to be found on microfiche, what would the analogue to Speed-Reading skill be?

I don't see anything obviously wrong for proposing that a Machine Operation (Optical Devices) skill defaults to Research TL6 to TL8 at -3 (those who learned in the latter half of TL8 will often be unfamiliar with microfiche technology, but for a solid half century, it was a foundational skill for Research).

Or that Professional Skill (Librarian) includes the use and basic maintenance of microfilm viewing devices, as well as preservation methods for the films, books and any other media stored in libraries at the TL.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:15 PM   #39
whswhs

Quote:
On the other hand, knowledge of preservation techniques for various forms of media, from scrolls, codices and books through microfilm to digital media, does not seem like a base part of either Administration or Research.
No, I agree. It's a little related to Connoisseur and a little to HazMat, but it can't be equated to either.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:50 AM   #40
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
I don't see anything obviously wrong for proposing that a Machine Operation (Optical Devices) skill defaults to Research TL6 to TL8 at -3 (those who learned in the latter half of TL8 will often be unfamiliar with microfiche technology, but for a solid half century, it was a foundational skill for Research).
OK, but basic use of a microfiche reader is a very easy task, for both Research and Machine Operation (Optical Devices), with a substantial bonus. Some people will still fail, of course, and some of those will become convinced that it's hard.

I remember learning to use a microfiche reader, and realising it was just like a slide projector. I'd argue that MO (OD) has a default from Photography (TL6-7), but possibly not from (TL8).
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, research, skill of the week